+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

BVRM

Mar 25, 2022
Hey guys,

I've got my citizenship oath scheduled for April 7th and trying to plan my next steps for getting the Surrender Certificate and OCI. I also need to travel to India end of May for my mother’s surgery. Considering the current delays, planning to apply for 6 months entry visa as well. I will be applying at Brampton BLS Office.

As far as I understand, this is the process to be followed:
  • Receive citizenship certificate and apply for Canadian Passport
  • Meanwhile, prepare for documents required for Surrender and OCI
  • Once Passport is received, schedule appointment at BLS for Surrender Certificate (prefer in-person submission)
  • Also schedule another appointment for OCI submission
  • Submit Surrender Certificate application and get ARN at 1st appointment
  • Submit OCI application at 2nd appointment using SC ARN
  • Wait for 4-6 weeks for both documents.

Questions:
1. Am I right in the above understanding? Is there anywhere I could expedite the process by informing about my mom’s surgery?
2. Can I apply for Entry Visa while I submit for SC? As I know this is going to take awhile and I don’t think I can delay my trip to India waiting for OCI
3. What’s the timeline for entry visa?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
In case you ignore this option: You can travel on Indian passport with in 3 months of acquiring foreign citizenship without penalty . Based on your timelines, you can travel on Indian passport and you can take care of rest once you back.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In case you ignore this option: You can travel on Indian passport with in 3 months of acquiring foreign citizenship without penalty . Based on your timelines, you can travel on Indian passport and you can take care of rest once you back.
There are many complications in this since PR Card will be cut during oath ceremony.

Mr Dev

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can coordinate with me I can cancel one on thursday and you can book it. Dm me .
Thanks for the offer .I am travelling from Windsor ,don't think this Thursday would work. How did you book your appointment ??

sknk89

Star Member
Jan 22, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Hello, I have applied for surrender certificate(via postal) in 1st week of February and status is showing as "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." from 22nd February. Its been a month and status is not changing in both BLS(Processing at consulate) and Consulate website.

Anyone in same boat? Please suggest if its normal?

Reactions: Hot2Cold

BVRM

Mar 25, 2022
There are many complications in this since PR Card will be cut during oath ceremony.
Forgot to mention, he need to get his Canadian passport before leaving for India. It shouldn't be a big deal applying for Canada passport while having his flight booking in hand. He can opt for urgent processing if there is a delay getting Citizenship cert and few days left for travel. It's worth to mention that he has travel plans and request during oath to expedite the Citi cert dispatch.

Last edited:

Kakashi03

Nov 6, 2021
Yes but the problem is I won't be able to get back into Canada since we cut the PR Card at the oath ceremony. There wouldn't be any issues for me in entering India but I will not have any other travel visa for return.

I could use my Canadian passport but I heard it's an hassle and customs can create issues.

Last edited:

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Forgot to mention, he need to get his Canadian passport before leaving for India. It shouldn't be a big deal applying for Canada passport while having his flight booking in hand. He can opt for urgent processing if there is a delay getting Citizenship cert and few days left for travel. It's worth to mention that he has travel plans and request to expedite the Citi cert dispatch.
Canadian passport will not be sufficient. He will need surrender certificate & exit visa as well. It will take time.

You can find more details from links shared by @rajkamalmohanram in his signature.

Even I was exploring that option for my kids, however not going ahead with that.

johnbro

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
Guys, my OCI was applied on 9th Feb 2022 and still BLS says processing at consulate. I thought the processing time was 6 weeks for OCI. It's already been delayed as I had to wait 5 weeks for Surrender of passport and then apply for OCI, and now OCI has been 8 weeks and still processing at consulate.
Anyone, still waiting for OCI after 8 weeks and whats the average wait time now.

smitsmart

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-05-2017
Med's Done....
30-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-10-2017
Once we get the Canadian Passport and Surrender Certificate, we can apply for OCI right? How do we get the DDs for 3 people? Can we combine the Demand drafts? Like One Demand draft for Consulate (for 3 applications) and one demand draft for BLS (3 applications)????

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
That's incorrect as per CGI website.
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-documents-to-be-uploaded/

• Document-Upload Section of Online OCI-Registration has 7 categories. Documents relevant to your application have to be uploaded.
  • Max file size allowed for a document file is 500kb
  • The document file should be in PDF format
  • Please scan and upload the self-attested copies
When you check the final submitted/ completed online application form with the number starting with CANTXX - Point #9 says
The documents enclosed with the application should be self attested.
I had the same doubt so I called the BLS agents multiple times. All of them said, there is no harm if you upload the self attested but it is not required. The hard copies sent along with the application MUST be self attested.

BVRM

Mar 25, 2022
Hello, I have applied for surrender certificate(via postal) in 1st week of February and status is showing as "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." from 22nd February. Its been a month and status is not changing in both BLS(Processing at consulate) and Consulate website.

Sent by post on 28th Feb and delivered on 2nd March. Showing status "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." from 22nd March.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014

Slightly ahead of you (with @indigonation5 and @vivek.89) . I applied end of Feb, and my certificate is Printed, but after that it's radio silence from both BLS and CGI.

Reactions: K310 and sknk89