+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
I have applied for a renewal of my OCI since I turned 50. At the BLS counter in Brampton while submitting the application I was advised that I would get my old OCI booklet back after cancellation along with the new booklet. Up until now I have only received the Acknowledgement letter by Purolator. I had applied on Feb 8th, OCI Enquiry Page showed status as being 'Under Process' until yesterday and today shows as 'Processed'.

My question is will they return the cancelled OCI booklet along with the new OCI booklet? Any ideas?
Vijay Vittal Mallya ( kingfisher09):)
I guess you will get the old one with the new one.
Inbetween a doubt that is what would happen if you were to travel to India without re-issue of OCI?

Smileforu

Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
April 2010 ! March 2012 6-12 months wait letter
What documents are needed for OCI application ?

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
What documents are needed for OCI application ?[/QUOTE]
Smiley, If you just type your question in GOOGLE lots of details will pop up. I myself still not applied due to costs involved and need to save money to enter this last project.

UPPI

Nov 11, 2013
Hi All,

What will be the process for applying OCI for a baby born in Canada to Indian Citizen parents?

Both parents are in Canada on a visitor's visa. (Hence not Landed Immigrants). Baby was born in Canada recently.
Baby has received Canadian Citizenship certificate and Canadian passport.

I would really appreciate if someone could explain the process step by step.

I read the online instructions and they seemed very confusing.

Thanks in advance!

kingfisher09

Feb 21, 2019
To answer my own question- it looks like from the time BLS Status says- "Original documents Dispatched via courier" i.e from the time we get back the originals and OCI acknowledgement,
we need to start tracking at https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome (Need to input the passport number and file number as mentioned in the OCI Acknowledgement)- to get the status.

My status currently says
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 13-FEB-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 13-FEB-2019
Document received At TORONTO On 13-FEB-2019

I guess from here, I again need to start tracking at BLS website to know when it's going to be couriered to me.

I hope this helps someone like me who didn't know where to track the OCI status besides the BLS website.
Did you receive your OCI and when did you receive it? This will help me judge the time before I receive my OCI.
My status is as below:

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 21-FEB-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 21-FEB-2019
Document received At TORONTO On 21-FEB-2019

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you receive your OCI and when did you receive it? This will help me judge the time before I receive my OCI.
My status is as below:

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 21-FEB-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 21-FEB-2019
Document received At TORONTO On 21-FEB-2019
I received mine on the 19th (6 days after my status said Document received at Toronto). So I guess you should be getting yours in the next few days.

Sharma1010

Mar 1, 2019
Hi,

I received my AOR for OCI on Feb 5 but no update since. I read through the comments here and saw that people generally have received the 'printed status' within 20-25 days with some odd delays.

When I submitted the application I was in between jobs and so filled the employer address as N/A though i did fill the title. Do you think that is an issue? I have recently got a job, should I update them and how? From my understanding they don't print office name or address on the OCI booklet.

I was told by BLS that once was originals are returned your file is deemed complete and that they will ask me if anything else is needed. I got mine back on Feb 7 and have not heard back anything yet. Pls advise what should I do?

Also if anyone who received AOR in first week of Feb can post if they saw any progress on their file it will be helpful.

Thanks.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
I received mine on the 19th (6 days after my status said Document received at Toronto). So I guess you should be getting yours in the next few days.
Bro a quick one .
For OCI they require 2 photos of the applicant. On Part A upload the scanned photos and signature.
My question is do they take 2 photos while going there with the documents for submission.
Next on the actual OCI booklet which photo is found. The scanned one or is the photo glued.
Next regarding fees do they take debit and cash or do I need to make Demand draft. I have decided to not take their courier services due to last time problem with Purolator.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bro a quick one .
For OCI they require 2 photos of the applicant. On Part A upload the scanned photos and signature.
My question is do they take 2 photos while going there with the documents for submission.
Next on the actual OCI booklet which photo is found. The scanned one or is the photo glued.
Next regarding fees do they take debit and cash or do I need to make Demand draft. I have decided to not take their courier services due to last time problem with Purolator.

I am sorry- but I can't recall how many photos they took for my application (I think it was 2, but i am not 100% sure).

They did stick 1 of those photos on my application form, but in the actual OCI booklet it was a scanned version.

Regarding fees- If i remember correctly, fees to Indian Consulate General should only be in demand draft. And BLS accept debit cards for their fees.

I think these rules differ based on where you apply from, and I applied at Toronto Jurisdiction. I would recommend you to call your BLS location and ask for the exact information. Good luck!

Reactions: KRP

Night_in_gale

Mar 3, 2019
Hi,

My doubt is regarding the uploading of documents for the OCI (First time application). Should I upload the scanned copies of the original documents as it is or do I need to take copies of the original document, self attest (This is the true copy of the original with date and sign) it and upload the same?

I understand that the originals (COPR, Oath Certificate, Indian Passport etc.) and photocopies of the same (self attested) should be submitted to the BLS during walk-in.

There is a section ( Under the heading: Procedure for fresh OCI registration www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=oci_application ) that says about the uploading requirements for documents which says has to be self attested and uploaded in the OCI application.

If somebody could shed some light on how to proceed further, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hi,

My doubt is regarding the uploading of documents for the OCI (First time application). Should I upload the scanned copies of the original documents as it is or do I need to take copies of the original document, self attest (This is the true copy of the original with date and sign) it and upload the same?

I understand that the originals (COPR, Oath Certificate, Indian Passport etc.) and photocopies of the same (self attested) should be submitted to the BLS during walk-in.

There is a section ( Under the heading: Procedure for fresh OCI registration www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=oci_application ) that says about the uploading requirements for documents which says has to be self attested and uploaded in the OCI application.

If somebody could shed some light on how to proceed further, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you
If you compare the CGI checklist with BLS checklist you will come across many differences.
I myself planning to do this stuff shortly .
I feel its better to self attest and then upload.
I went to BLS for photos and they charged $ 60 for 4 persons ( 2 photos each). The photos are taken with a digital camera in front of the waiting area. The photos look crap. But they cannot now say its not proper. I could see many applicants for OCI being treated badly with the staff pointing out to one mistake or the other. I feel this place needs a surgical strike from NaMo.

Night_in_gale

Mar 3, 2019
If you compare the CGI checklist with BLS checklist you will come across many differences.
I myself planning to do this stuff shortly .
I feel its better to self attest and then upload.
I went to BLS for photos and they charged $ 60 for 4 persons ( 2 photos each). The photos are taken with a digital camera in front of the waiting area. The photos look crap. But they cannot now say its not proper. I could see many applicants for OCI being treated badly with the staff pointing out to one mistake or the other. I feel this place needs a surgical strike from NaMo.
The guidelines/instructions provided by CGI and BLS are contradictory in many areas. It is such a mess. Firstly, it is about uploading the documents as mentioned in the checklist and at the end of the checklist it talks about self attestation.

The next is the photo specs. CGI says no to the photo with white background, doesn't say anything about the background color that should be used. BLS checklist says white/off-white is fine. They don't say how many photos you require for the application. Is it one hard copy and a digital you submit with the online form I think. Not sure, what these guys are upto !!!

You spend about 250+ 425 + 60. Surrender, OCI and courier. Roughly about $800 for fees/services which is exorbiantly high. I'm pretty sure they can do a lot better.

I hope all goes well...

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
I could see many applicants for OCI being treated badly with the staff pointing out to one mistake or the other. I feel this place needs a surgical strike from NaMo.
You spend about 250+ 425 + 60. Surrender, OCI and courier. Roughly about $800 for fees/services which is exorbiantly high. I'm pretty sure they can do a lot better.
Very well opined.

mrpandya

Mar 4, 2019
Hi
My self and my wife apply same day for OCI.on 11 Feb. 2019
today my status is: ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS DISPATCHED VIA COURIER
and My wife status is: Original documents are Ready for Collection
what is the different between this two status??
what is the meaning of , Original documents Ready for Collection??
Thanks
Mac

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Thank you

Here's my answers based on my recent OCI process-

1. You need to upload the self attested copies of the documents.

2. The only originals they took from me were the Indian Passport and COPR. They did check my Oath certificate, but gave it back to me. Carry all the self attested photocopies and originals of documents indicated in the checklist. If BLS checklist varies from CGI checklist, make sure you carry everything as indicated in both checklists. It's better to be cautious instead of having to go back again.

Good luck!