+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there,

Did you get your original PIO card back, did you apply at all?
Mine said, Document received at TOronto on 14-FEB-2019

I was doing the PIO to OCI conversion.

BLS tracking said original ready for pick up, when I went there, they gave me an empty envelope with OCI acknowledgement slip.

I checked the tracking in OCI services, and it said it received on 14th feb, no idea when I will get the old PIO card and the OCI card/booklet.

I also dont know why people wrote they have to submit their passport.
I am sorry, but mine was not a PIO to OCI conversion. Mine was a Indian passport surrender and OCI application.

Give BLS a call, and check with them about timelines. (Btw-What did they advise you during the time of application drop off?)

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
=For OCI do I need to opt for courier services or could I go there and collect the OCI card and COPR. I went to Purolator office and got my passports and surrender certificate.
I have put a complaint to BLS regarding the issue on this link:
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/feedback.php
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/escalation.php
You wont get the COPR on your first trip lol You will either receive an empty envelope with the acknowledgement or if you pick up, you will get the empty envelope. But all the records would indicate you "received the originals" If you ask them, they would say it will be given back to you along with the OCI booklet. So you would just have to have hope lol Might as well buy a lotto max while you are at it.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
BLS tracking changed to : (Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping)

Makes no sense. I applied for PIO to OCI. There is no stamping anymore. The Canadian passport is with me. PIO card is with them for surrendering. So what are they talking about stamping. When will it be ready, the call centre agents say different things. Consulate says they sent it to BLS and it is with them.

Can someone let me know plz

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLS tracking changed to : (Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping)

Makes no sense. I applied for PIO to OCI. There is no stamping anymore. The Canadian passport is with me. PIO card is with them for surrendering. So what are they talking about stamping. When will it be ready, the call centre agents say different things. Consulate says they sent it to BLS and it is with them.

Can someone let me know plz
My BLS Status is the same. I am assuming I would be receiving it next week once BLS dispatches it via Purolator.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
My BLS Status is the same. I am assuming I would be receiving it next week once BLS dispatches it via Purolator.
Mine changed to Passport ready for collection. Lol what the actual Flick

There is no passport, all the passports are with me. So I am wondering they only have limited number of choices to choose from when they wanna say ready for collection.

Ill update if I got the old PIO card back.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Mine changed to Passport ready for collection. Lol what the actual Flick

There is no passport, all the passports are with me. So I am wondering they only have limited number of choices to choose from when they wanna say ready for collection.

Ill update if I got the old PIO card back.

responding to myself if anyone searched for this in the future.

Got the OCI booklet and old PIO back.

OCI looks very low quality compared to PIO. Wonder if it's on purpose since its lifetime and may be forced to replace it if the print faded.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
responding to myself if anyone searched for this in the future.

Got the OCI booklet and old PIO back.

OCI looks very low quality compared to PIO. Wonder if it's on purpose since its lifetime and may be forced to replace it if the print faded.
What is the meaning of lifetime? Namo promised its lifetime once issued BUT again its not. It needs to be re-issued but on a smaller fee. Some might say its OK to travel without re-issue but what if immigration guy makes problems.
Between the ages of 21 and 50, there is no mandatory requirement to get documents re-issued, when you get a new passport. In such cases, if you travel to India,
Renewal of OCI is required:
1. Each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age. OCI documents have to be re-issued and payment of appropriate fee is required.
2. Once an OCI holder reaches age 50, they must get their OCI registration certificate and visa re-issued. you would have to carry your previous passport along with your new passport.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the meaning of lifetime? Namo promised its lifetime once issued BUT again its not. It needs to be re-issued but on a smaller fee. Some might say its OK to travel without re-issue but what if immigration guy makes problems.
Between the ages of 21 and 50, there is no mandatory requirement to get documents re-issued, when you get a new passport. In such cases, if you travel to India,
1. Each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age. OCI documents have to be re-issued and payment of appropriate fee is required.
2. Once an OCI holder reaches age 50, they must get their OCI registration certificate and visa re-issued. you would have to carry your previous passport along with your new passport.

As much as I hate anything to do with Indian Bureaucracy- I haven't yet seen any visa or document that's valid for lifetime. Passports, visas,and even drivers license has expiry date. I am ok as long as I don't have to renew it every 5 years or something like that.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Well it is the Indian government we are talking about here. They told me the same sheet that PIO will be valid upto 20 years in 2015. I went through that one. Never went to India after I got the PIO. Within a month after that they wanted everyone to convert to OCI, which I didn't know about. I just googled a few weeks back about visiting India. 20 years validity is out of the window. I wanted to apply for the OCI the first time, but the guy talked me into saying PIO is fast, OCI takes months. I ended up paying the OCI fee again. So nothing is set in stone when it comes to anything they say.

Because there is a possibility that OCI itself might suddenly become invalid due to some insane change they might come up with any time, (1000 Rupee bill which I have tons of, rendered useless now, and PIO, useless again) at which point I will be making posts here again.

Over..

Reactions: qorax

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Well it is the Indian government we are talking about here. They told me the same sheet that PIO will be valid upto 20 years in 2015. I went through that one. Never went to India after I got the PIO. Within a month after that they wanted everyone to convert to OCI, which I didn't know about. I just googled a few weeks back about visiting India. 20 years validity is out of the window. I wanted to apply for the OCI the first time, but the guy talked me into saying PIO is fast, OCI takes months. I ended up paying the OCI fee again. So nothing is set in stone when it comes to anything they say.

Because there is a possibility that OCI itself might suddenly become invalid due to some insane change they might come up with any time, (1000 Rupee bill which I have tons of, rendered useless now, and PIO, useless again) at which point I will be making posts here again.

Over..
If Pappu & Pyaari Behna were to come in power in next elections maybe they will change many things NaMo and team put in place.
Also over here if Cons come in power beating the Liberals then surely 4 out of 6 year could be again introduced for citizenship.

phlove

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Winnipeg MB CA
Visa Office......
canada
App. Filed.......
18/Oct/2017
Received my OCI today. I applied on Jan 14th, so it took about 35 days.
congrats ..
how many days take time to get OCI card after u get original document??????

on BLS website status shows right now Original documents are Ready for Dispatch but i got my document on same day when status change.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
congrats ..
how many days take time to get OCI card after u get original document??????

on BLS website status shows right now Original documents are Ready for Dispatch but i got my document on same day when status change.
About 20 days after i got back the original documents.
Jan 14th 2019- Applied for OCI
Jan 24th 2019- Got back the Surrendered/Cancelled Indian passport
Jan 29th 2019- Got back COPR and OCI acknowledgement
(I am not sure, maybe the above 2 order is the other way around)
Feb 19th 2019- Received OCI

Last edited:
Reactions: phlove

kingfisher09

Feb 21, 2019
I have applied for a renewal of my OCI since I turned 50. At the BLS counter in Brampton while submitting the application I was advised that I would get my old OCI booklet back after cancellation along with the new booklet. Up until now I have only received the Acknowledgement letter by Purolator. I had applied on Feb 8th, OCI Enquiry Page showed status as being 'Under Process' until yesterday and today shows as 'Processed'.

My question is will they return the cancelled OCI booklet along with the new OCI booklet? Any ideas?