+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hi guys, when you give your applications at the processing counter in BLS, what is the order they collect applications?

1) Surrender certificate
2) Entry visa

Do they collect and put both together or separate? I need to mail in for a single applicant. I just need to know whether I can mail those together or should be separate.
I think it would sense to keep it same envelope else not sure how your surrender certificate will get processed first. When i did it in BLS (walk in) first was surrender certificate and then entry visa (processed by 2 different people)

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
who is asking to submit citizenship certificate?
Iam talking based on recent walk in experience and generally old Indian passport only is submitted. One or two cases BLS asks to submit surrender certificate instead of passport. Have not heard of canadian passport or citizenship certificate held. If iam wrong other experienced members please clarify
Also in postal submission no originals are required is my understanding. i have no experience. Other members please clarify if iam wrong
Hi - Thanks for response.

So, I saw in BLS check list - they have all originals in checklist.
By any chance, have you got your OCI application submitted? If so, may I ask what was your experience on this?

Reactions: sundeep_s_

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hi - Thanks for response.

So, I saw in BLS check list - they have all originals in checklist.
By any chance, have you got your OCI application submitted? If so, may I ask what was your experience on this?
Is there anything specific you want to know?. Lot of people have already provided the details and my experience is not much different.

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
hi all,

i was preparing for OCI application.. and it ask for Work letter... can i just upload my resume or should i ask HR for an official employment letter ?
sorry if this is a repeat question.. read a few pages and couldn't find anything around this.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
hi all,

i was preparing for OCI application.. and it ask for Work letter... can i just upload my resume or should i ask HR for an official employment letter ?
sorry if this is a repeat question.. read a few pages and couldn't find anything around this.
If you can, get a official letter from your employer
Else alternate option is to provide a explanation letter about your employment (self declaration and signed) and add 3 months latest paystubs

Reactions: alexpolis007

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
hi all,

Else alternate option is to provide a explanation letter about your employment (self declaration and signed) and add 3 months latest paystubs
As @delray55 said, to be on the safe side, get a letter from HR if possible. Otherwise a self declaration will also work.

But, in my case, I did not submit anything, and I got my OCI just the same. I was lucky and got a decent rep at the BLS counter and she did not ask for nor even mention an employment letter, so I did not upload nor did I submit one.

• Wow
Reactions: alexpolis007

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
i just spoke to HR.. they have a standard format.. which mentions Company name, job Tile, joining date and current salary.. company seal and sign of course

she says it does not talk about roles and responsibility like a resume.. will that be ok ?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
i just spoke to HR.. they have a standard format.. which mentions Company name, job Tile, joining date and current salary.. company seal and sign of course

she says it does not talk about roles and responsibility like a resume.. will that be ok ?
Yes. Standard letter is enough.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
As @delray55 said, to be on the safe side, get a letter from HR if possible. Otherwise a self declaration will also work.

But, in my case, I did not submit anything, and I got my OCI just the same. I was lucky and got a decent rep at the BLS counter and she did not ask for nor even mention an employment letter, so I did not upload nor did I submit one.
I think the original intention of the detail being asked (its even printed on the OCI booklet) is to find out if a person is working in Govt/Military/Sensitive occupations in foreign country. If a person is involved in anyof above i think further documentation/approvals are needed.

rememberme

Star Member
Nov 18, 2021
does any one know how much time it takes from processing the OCI to finally receiving it? on the OCI status enquiry site, it is showing the processed for last 1 week but hasn't been dispatched yet from New Delhi. I thought dispatch should happen within 2 days of processing. BLS still says processing at consulate general. Wondering if I need to escalate. if so, is there an CGI email id where I can reach?

• Sad
Reactions: canadamaple

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
do we have to upload a picture to the online OCI application ?
or is it like surrender where we can paste a photo after filling the application ?
Both. You need to upload a picture on the online portal and include a copy of the photograph with the application form. I included two copies of my photograph and BLS returned one when they sent me back my original documents. Cheers!

Last edited:

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
OCI Final Update
28 April - Submitted OCI @ Surrey BLS via Appointment
29 April - BLS Status: underprocess
06 May - BLS Status: Processing at Consulate General
09 May - OCI Web Status: UNDER-PROCESS (Date Of Acknowledgment: 07 May)
27 May - OCI Web Status: PROCESSED
02 Jun - OCI Web Status: Dispatched From MEA (OCI )
02 Jun - OCI Web Status: Document received At Vancouver
03 Jun - BLS Status: Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI Stamping
06 Jun - BLS Status: Passport available for pickup after OCI Stamping
06 Jun - Passport Delivered by Hand

I saw this update in the morning, so went there after lunch to pick it up. Finally, we have the OCI cards in hand. I was expecting them to be more like flat cards, similar to the PR or a Credit Card, but wasn't aware that they look almost like Passports. It definitely diminished the regret of having had to surrender the Indian Passport.

Well, so my journey on this forum since the time of applying for PR has finally ended. How wonderful a forum this is, with all the help it provides and good Samaritans to answer each other's queries. May this tribe grow!

Good luck to all those who are still waiting. Just be patient, it's just a matter of time.