FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Yes you can walk in to surrender passport applications in Toronto.
When I went to submit my application with appointment in brampton, security personal said to someone that for walk-in line up start at 7:30.

• Wow
Reactions: eager

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
When I went to submit my application with appointment in brampton, security personal said to someone that for walk-in line up start at 7:30.
Not sure about that. I went to Toronto office in middle of April around 11Am or some thing. we were let in.

spssg

Mar 14, 2022
Hi everyone- I'm new to this page and have a quick question. Assuming it has been asked before, I need to surrender my Indian passport but there seems to be absolutely no appointments available for May. I tried looking for June but it is grayed out for me and so I guess the appt dates appear month by month. Is it ok to walk in at the Toronto Centre, would anyone know what the wait times are like?
Any information will be helpful. Thanks.
I have a pleasant experience in the BLS Brampton office. I just walked in and it took around 30 minutes for submitting an application for surrender of an Indian passport. While different peoples have different experiences, based on my five experiences (for submitting applications for SC, Visa and OCI (3 experiences) and collecting the Indian Passport after SC and Canadian Passport after Visa) I find the staff at BLS Brampton is very courteous. In all my experiences of submission of applications, it took me only 5 minutes for submissions and the BLS staff also did not press and marketing for any add-ons like courier services, phone tracking etc. They just asked whether you want any add-on services if you say 'No' they are not insisting on these.

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
Submitted my passport surrender today at BLS Surrey as walk-in, I was in and out in 90 minutes total:

Using @vvarma's format, thanks for the help , since I followed his thread, made changes to what I did.

1) Reached at 7.27 am. 5 person/family applicants were already lined up ahead of me.
2) They opened at 8:05. Said that they accept walk-ins only for Passport surrender and strictly need appointments for OCI or Visa.
3) Lady at reception (speaks only English, so few old applicants ahead of me had some communication issues:)), she checked the paper work, gave me a token number.
4) She also noticed that I had a mistake in the application, apparently if you change your legal name, the application for surrender should show the old name same as it is in Passport, so she asked me to fill the forms again.
5) She did give me a token to keep in the line up so that was good on her, but she asked me to be ready with forms before my number gets called.
6) Luckily, these forms can be filled online on phone and I did that on phone and converted it to pdf and sent them to their email.(email address is pasted on the reception table)
7) After frantically filling out the forms and sending them the email I waited in their waiting hall. I am not sure but I did notice that only 1 counter was being used for walk ins but by the time my turn came, another counter was being used for walk-ins.
8) I was called after about 10 minute of wait. She processed my Surrender application. All my documents were in order. Did not even check any of the originals.
7) Can pay by Cash or Debit. I paid by Debit card (each application payment of $165.10) apparently 33$ is the courier fees which is pretty steep in my opinion, and they charge this to each applicant although it is in the same household, I didn't fight this cost and paid the fees.
8) Asked if OCI Application needs 1 physical photograph or 2, lady confirmed they need only 1 photograph.
9) Also, for applicants whose passport is expired, she asked me to write on a plain paper a declaration that my son's passport although expired is the only passport he has and we never renewed it, (no strict format in this)
10. I was done by 9:30AM.

Documents submitted for Surrender (VANCOUVER JURISDICTION ONLY):

- Checklist (Returned back)
- Application form, (for minors page 1 of applicatin form can have parents sign instead of fingerprints)
- 1 Photo
- Indian Passport (Latest)
- Indian Passport copy (First + Last pages + Observation + photocopies of Visas were returned)
- DL copy, for minor a BC ID photocopy works
- I am still waiting for Canadian Passport, so had a letter explaining that (Returned back without even reading)
- Canadian Citizen Certificate copy
- Canadian COPR photocopy (Returned back)

All docs were self attested with just applicants signatures. For our son's application me and my wife basically signed on all the photocopies, also as a safety measure i had his left hand thumb print on all photocopies, although not sure if that is required.

The lady on the counter mentioned 15-20 business days(~1 month) for surrender certificate, and 40 business days(~2 months) for OCI, so anyone planning to travel, keep a buffer of 3 months if the intention is to travel with OCI.

Last edited:
Reactions: nivek and vvarma

eager

Jul 20, 2015
I have a pleasant experience in the BLS Brampton office. I just walked in and it took around 30 minutes for submitting an application for surrender of an Indian passport. While different peoples have different experiences, based on my five experiences (for submitting applications for SC, Visa and OCI (3 experiences) and collecting the Indian Passport after SC and Canadian Passport after Visa) I find the staff at BLS Brampton is very courteous. In all my experiences of submission of applications, it took me only 5 minutes for submissions and the BLS staff also did not press and marketing for any add-ons like courier services, phone tracking etc. They just asked whether you want any add-on services if you say 'No' they are not insisting on these.
Thank you and this is super helpful. I'm glad you had such a good experience and have nice things to say about the services :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Krishna1989

Risabh_Canada

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Applied passport surrender on March 1st by Post . No updates Nothing on BLS website just showing processing at consulate general' . Anybody in the same boat ?

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Applied passport surrender on March 1st by Post . No updates Nothing on BLS website just showing processing at consulate general' . Anybody in the same boat ?
You can check status on passport website where you had filed application. Login and wait for few seconds it will list your application s. you could check status from their. They have status updated by cgi. Once it goes to printed status you can expect SC, mostly a week later. Hope this helps

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Quick question. What do you people suggest to write here

"
The Circumstances in which or reasons due to which applicant intends to acquire foreign citizenship and renounce Indian citizenship
"

Any suggestions? Thanks!

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
I got off the phone after speaking to a BLS agent (Ottawa). This guy was very polite and patient. He looked up my passport info and said that my documents have been sent to HCI for 'pre-approval'. After this step, the original documents will be sent back to me. Fingers crossed.

VAUS

May 4, 2022
Hi Everyone,

We have applied for an OCI card as a postal Application through BLS International Services, Toronto, Canada.
Date
BLS Website
OCI Website
Days
11-March-2022​
Purolator Pickup of Documents
14-March-2022​
Delivery of Documents to BLS
1​
24-March-2022​
Processing at Consulate GeneralUnder Process
10​
04-May-2022​
51​

As of today, the status is still showing as under process in OCI website. We chose the travel date based on the timelines in BLS & OCI websites with an additional 2 weeks and booked our flight tickets to India on 22-May-2022. But unfortunately, there seems to be a delay in the processing of our OCI cards.
As per BLS the documents were sent to CGI on 24th-Mar-2022, but in OCI website the application date is 19-Apr-2022, we don't know why there is a 4weeks gap between BLS & OCI?

We have reached out to BLS/OCI Helpdesk/Sampark, but no use. Can anyone provide some insights on this situation. Appreciate any insight or solutions on this situation.

Thanks & Regards,
VAUS

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi Everyone,

We have applied for an OCI card as a postal Application through BLS International Services, Toronto, Canada.
Date
BLS Website
OCI Website
Days
11-March-2022​
Purolator Pickup of Documents
14-March-2022​
Delivery of Documents to BLS
1​
24-March-2022​
10​
04-May-2022​
51​

As of today, the status is still showing as under process in OCI website. We chose the travel date based on the timelines in BLS & OCI websites with an additional 2 weeks and booked our flight tickets to India on 22-May-2022. But unfortunately, there seems to be a delay in the processing of our OCI cards.
As per BLS the documents were sent to CGI on 24th-Mar-2022, but in OCI website the application date is 19-Apr-2022, we don't know why there is a 4weeks gap between BLS & OCI?

We have reached out to BLS/OCI Helpdesk/Sampark, but no use. Can anyone provide some insights on this situation. Appreciate any insight or solutions on this situation.

Thanks & Regards,
VAUS
Hi There,
I am in the same boat as you. My timeline

18-March picked up by Purolator
19-March recd at BLS
23-March Acknowledged at BLS
25-March Under process at BLS
20-April Under process - OCI

Travel date is 7 June. Should I start getting worried? Only hope I feel is tweeting to MEA, tagging OCI team and attending their in person grievance session which happens on a weekday for 1 hour.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I submitted in-person on 2nd April,
Processing at Consulate on 5th April,
Under Process at OCI Website on 27 April.

Wait a few more days. It should appear on OCI site soon.
Any idea on how much time it takes at OCI between Under process to printing/ dispatched?
I am beginning to get worried if the OCI doesn't make it in time for my travel on June 7