+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Here

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
I applied for OCI for my kids on Dec 20, 2021. It was walkin appointment brampton.
Acknowledgement date id 5 Jan, 2022
I am still waiting for any updates.
Any idea how long it takes after acknowledgement date ?

When I applied for Oci for myself on 28 sep, 2021 , it took 1 month for issuing the oci booklet. Its seems now the timeline is changing.
My daughter's acknowledgement is Dec 20 2021. Still waiting. As website says 4 to 6 weeks. It is not clear.

Reactions: T1@2

Swappy

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
I am waiting on my surrender certificate and the current status is "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." .. I am hoping to receive it in next week or two, hopefully.

Now I am getting ready to apply for OCI and looked at the checklist for submission of OCI. I see that for a fresh OCI application we use Type A form and its required documents list. I would be applying in person thru walk-in/appointment. I have a few questions if anyone can clarify:
1) Do we need to submit the original Canadian Citizenship Certificate ? I prefer NOT to as getting a new one takes 1.5 years if LOST
2) Do we need to submit the original of Canadian Passport ? I prefer NOT as this is also time consuming process if lost
3) I had read somewhere we may need to submit Birth Certificate and also Parents Marriage Certificate, Or is this not required for Type A as I had Indian Passport ?
4) Since I am going in person for submission, can I also opt for picking up OCI and supporting docs in person as I prefer NOT to rely on mail/purolator. As for surrender they said there's no in person pickup available.

Does anyone know the stats on how many Canadian Citienship certificates and/or passports are lost in the OCI process. I am sure there are horror stories of people suffering due to this.

Kindly,
Anyone here can please answer if we need to submit the original Canadian Citizenship certificate and passport ? I would also really not prefer sending those originals, if they get lost, what a nightmare.

Gkan

Jan 11, 2022
Anyone here can please answer if we need to submit the original Canadian Citizenship certificate and passport ? I would also really not prefer sending those originals, if they get lost, what a nightmare.
1. Don't need only copy ( if it is Toronto or Brampton)
2 no originals
3 not sure your situation , if your parents are here in Canada then you need to . Birth certificate copy you need to submit with both parents info

4. Not sure

Reactions: johnbro and Swappy

Swappy

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
1. Don't need only copy ( if it is Toronto or Brampton)
2 no originals
3 not sure your situation , if your parents are here in Canada then you need to . Birth certificate copy you need to submit with both parents info

4. Not sure
Thank you, I was worried about sending originals.

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Applied for surrender certificate around Dec 22 in person at Toronto.

Few days later, status on passportindia.gov.in changed to "Surrender certificate is under review at consulate".

Around 5th Jan, status changed to "Surrender certificate is printed and ready for issuance" or something like that.

Now today, status changed back to "Surrender certificate is under review at consulate". This begs the question.... What in the actual F are they doing at the consulate?

I swear by my life that CGI Toronto and BLS combined are the most incompetent group of people I've come across in my life. (No fault of BLS in this current fiasco but I've had really bad experience with them in the past).

Reactions: nhixon

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Applied for surrender certificate around Dec 22 in person at Toronto.

Few days later, status on passportindia.gov.in changed to "Surrender certificate is under review at consulate".

Around 5th Jan, status changed to "Surrender certificate is printed and ready for issuance" or something like that.

Now today, status changed back to "Surrender certificate is under review at consulate". This begs the question.... What in the actual F are they doing at the consulate?

I swear by my life that CGI Toronto and BLS combined are the most incompetent group of people I've come across in my life. (No fault of BLS in this current fiasco but I've had really bad experience with them in the past).
I did Dec-31, and still under review. Not sure how long they take.

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Has anyone here mailed their OCI application using Canada Post, FEDEX or UPS? If yes, how much money did you include in the bank draft as return courier fee? The fee section just says BLS Processing Fee: $7.4+ Courier fee but there's no mention of the amount.

Last edited:

SG3108

Jan 5, 2022
Application Sent to BLS (Purolator) : November 15, 2021
Application Received : November 16, 2021
Tracking enabled on BLS : November 26, 2021
Date of Acknowledgement : December 10, 2021
Date of Printing : January 13, 2022
Date of dispatch : January 15, 2022
Change of status on BLS : January 18, 2022
Current status : Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping
I have one question please. The application ( online) had fields to capture " previous passport details". Would this be the Indian passport or Canadian one? I have an old expired Canadian one and obviously an old Indian one. Now I'm confused which passport that form is referring to.