+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I have applied for Canadian Citizenship few weeks ago but my Indian passport is about to expire in 6 months. I don't intend to travel anytime soon.

a) Should I just let the Indian passport expire and wait for Canadian citizenship (plus apply for a Canadian Passport later)?

b) Will it impact my Canadian Citizenship application because it may take 1.5 years (Covid) to get it but Indian passport will expire in 6 months itself?

c) Do I need to surrender the expired Indian passport once I receive the Canadian citizenship/Canadian passport?

d) And finally, I do plan to apply for OCI after getting Canadian passport. Will it impact my OCI application if the Indian passport is already expired?

Thanks

ksk_fsw

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,
I have applied my oci Nov 6, Date of acknowledgement nov 10.. vancouver mission. Still under process!!! Anyone with similar timeline for Vancouver mission??
Did you get the OCI? I applied on Dec17 - Calgary BLS and looking for a timeline..

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Hi Everyone,

I have applied for Canadian Citizenship few weeks ago but my Indian passport is about to expire in 6 months. I don't intend to travel anytime soon.

a) Should I just let the Indian passport expire and wait for Canadian citizenship (plus apply for a Canadian Passport later)?

b) Will it impact my Canadian Citizenship application because it may take 1.5 years (Covid) to get it but Indian passport will expire in 6 months itself?

c) Do I need to surrender the expired Indian passport once I receive the Canadian citizenship/Canadian passport?

d) And finally, I do plan to apply for OCI after getting Canadian passport. Will it impact my OCI application if the Indian passport is already expired?

Thanks
*Expiry of your Indian passport will NOT affect your Canadian citizenship appl. at all. There is no relation between the two.
*Legally you are required to surrender your Indian passport after you get your Canadian Passport, not just Canadian citizenship.
It will not affect your OCI appl. at all if your Indian Passport is expired.

The only situation it can affect is if you need to travel urgently after your Indian Passport is expired . Since your Canadian citizenship will take
another 1.5 yrs approx. , you will be left without a valid passport for about one year till you get your Canadian passport.
I would strongly recommend you to renew your Indian passport now for urgent travel needs in future.
( you can apply for renewal within one year of its expiry),
because it takes time especially when you apply in Canada.

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
*Expiry of your Indian passport will NOT affect your Canadian citizenship appl. at all. There is no relation between the two.
*Legally you are required to surrender your Indian passport after you get your Canadian Passport, not just Canadian citizenship.
It will not affect your OCI appl. at all if your Indian Passport is expired.

The only situation it can affect is if you need to travel urgently after your Indian Passport is expired . Since your Canadian citizenship will take
another 1.5 yrs approx. , you will be left without a valid passport for about one year till you get your Canadian passport.
I would strongly recommend you to renew your Indian passport now for urgent travel needs in future.
( you can apply for renewal within one year of its expiry),
because it takes time especially when you apply in Canada.
Thanks for the guidance. I did consider renewing my Indian passport but I believe I will have to update IRCC about the new passport to update my Citizenship application which may delay the citizenship.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Thanks for the guidance. I did consider renewing my Indian passport but I believe I will have to update IRCC about the new passport to update my Citizenship application which may delay the citizenship.
As far as I know, You don't need to update your citizenship appl with the new passport details.
The citizenship application only asks for passport(s) that you had during the eligibility period of citizenship appl.

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Hi All,
Is LANDING PAPER a must when you apply for OCI ? For Vancouver Jurisdiction.
I lost it when I renewed my Indian PP.
TIA.

ksk_fsw

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
Is LANDING PAPER a must when you apply for OCI ? For Vancouver Jurisdiction.
I lost it when I renewed my Indian PP.
TIA.
U need a copy of it, not original. I applied in Calgary bls for Vancouver mission. They didn’t ask for original.

Reactions: mr.Hope

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Last edited:

eshan72

Jan 23, 2017
Did you get the OCI? I applied on Dec17 - Calgary BLS and looking for a timeline..
I applied on 16 of nov. DOA 19 nov. printed on 22 dec. received at Vancouver consulate on 23 dec. still haven’t received it. Status on bls website shows blank.

eshan72

Jan 23, 2017
Hi,
Time line for my kid OCI but I’m still waiting for oci card. Bls website shows nothing at status. Not sure how long it will take to get the OCI. Our travel date is on Dec 31st not sure whether I will get it by that time:(
Hi. I’m in the same boat as u. My oci was delivered to Vancouver consulate on 23 but I haven’t received it yet. Bls website shows application status as blank. Did u get yours yet?

ksk_fsw

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

ksk_fsw

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied on 16 of nov. DOA 19 nov. printed on 22 dec. received at Vancouver consulate on 23 dec. still haven’t received it. Status on bls website shows blank.
My friend got it last week and he said it took 45 calendar days end to end. He applied 1st week of Nov. He said bls status was blank for him and got changed when Purolator picked it up for delivery. I think you should be getting it this week.

Reactions: eshan72

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
I think you are right. I took a copy with me as BLS sometimes used to ask things which are not in checklist. But they gave me back the copr copy. So I didn’t submit it with the appln and you should be fine.
Thanks a lot for the input. After some digging last night luckily I found a picture copy of my landing paper. It looks decent.

Dec 28, 2020
Hi all - For unmarried applicants it says to submit a declaration to the consulate. Can someone give me more details on this please? Should i sent the letter separately to the consulate and include a copy with my OCI app? Do i need to address it to anyone in the consulate?