+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Brampton my expreience - Current timeline

jj54

Jul 6, 2019
After postponing for 10 years dreading myriads of documents required and after paying for 2 emergency Visa and few e visa to India decided to apply for OCI

The process has settled down and currently they have done away with stamping a visa on you Canadian passport and they only give you OCI registration Card which looks similar to a Passport (thinner version) with lighter blue color.

On the other hand they increased the fee to $425 CAD.

Filling up the Forms A and B online; there were several glitches, the PDF does not get generated smoothly, few tries and frustration you will figure this out....it is not smooth

Better to use chrome browser, make sure cut and paste your application number for log in second time there are several glitches and you can avoid starting all over again if you have Application number.

Make sure you spell your Spouses name and parents name exactly the same in your last Indian Passport ( if expanded/abbreviated in passport follow the same in the forms)

In the past they allowed you to combine 4 person in a family Now you need to fill same information independently.

Applied for Self+ spouse + 1 adult child + 1 child (below 18) - all had Indian passport

Documents required:
Last Indian passport with cancellation certificate
Landing paper
Canadian Passport
No marriage certificate or Birth certificate required if names are entered in the last Indian passport ( spouse and parents name details)
Draft - Canada Post Beneficiary fields take only 13 character so i made it to Consulate General India ( could not fit Toronto in 13 characters)
For Minor child - No objection certificate ( with photo of parents and signature)
Printed copy of Filled out form A

May 16th First Visit - checking agent found a name issue in my spouse application ( father name expanded initials in passport and abbreviated in Form) and she gave me the No objection form to be filled+ photo stuck ans signed . So even if the forms A& B were flawless i didn't have the NOC

Wanted me to re do Form A and B for my spouse, if i could come back same day no waiting in the line, could not because it need signature on the printed form

May 17th Second Visit : they checked everybody's document again, previous day the girl told me I should not have stuck the photo on the form A and today exactly the opposite comments

You need to leave your Last Indian Passport+ Cancellation certificate + Landing paper

Canadian Passport is returned to you immediately

June 4th : received the documents in a courier ( Last Indian Passport + Immigration paper+ Cancellation)

Status on OCI website
June 4th : Acknowledgement of application
June 24: OCI printed
June 26: OCI send to Toronto from Delhi
There was no more updates on the OCI website
July 4 :Received the OCI by courier

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
Hello,

Beautifully explained OCI obtaining process and I thank you very much for your timely post as I am going to do it for my MOM.

Can you please explain how to obtain passport cancellation certificate in step by step explanation with its fees. How long it takes time to receive this cancellation certificate?

My MOM has two passports, with first passport she landed in Canada and and second passport issued from Toronto on expiry of first passport and Consulate put cancelled stamp on first passport.So does she need to submit both passport to obtain cancellation certificate or current valid passport?

I have not yet visited BSL site for OCI as my MOM oath is on July 16 at 1:00 pm.

Can you please explain about form A and B. Do we have to fill these form on line and then print and sign and take with original documents(1) Last Indian passport with cancellation certificate, (2) Landing paper and (3) Canadian Passport physically to Indian Consulate?

Kindly clarify my silly questions.

Thanking you.
Mamin

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
After postponing for 10 years dreading myriads of documents required and after paying for 2 emergency Visa and few e visa to India decided to apply for OCI

The process has settled down and currently they have done away with stamping a visa on you Canadian passport and they only give you OCI registration Card which looks similar to a Passport (thinner version) with lighter blue color.

Filling up the Forms A and B online; there were several glitches, the PDF does not get generated smoothly, few tries and frustration you will figure this out....it is not smooth

Better to use chrome browser, make sure cut and paste your application number for log in second time there are several glitches and you can avoid starting all over again if you have Application number.

Make sure you spell your Spouses name and parents name exactly the same in your last Indian Passport ( if expanded/abbreviated in passport follow the same in the forms)

In the past they allowed you to combine 4 person in a family Now you need to fill same information independently.

Applied for Self+ spouse + 1 adult child + 1 child (below 18) - all had Indian passport

Documents required:
Landing paper
Canadian Passport
No marriage certificate or Birth certificate required if names are entered in the last Indian passport ( spouse and parents name details)
Draft - Canada Post Beneficiary fields take only 13 character so i made it to Consulate General India ( could not fit Toronto in 13 characters)
For Minor child - No objection certificate ( with photo of parents and signature)

May 16th First Visit - checking agent found a name issue in my spouse application ( father name expanded initials in passport and abbreviated in Form) and she gave me the No objection form to be filled+ photo stuck ans signed . So even if the forms A& B were flawless i didn't have the NOC

Wanted me to re do Form A and B for my spouse, if i could come back same day no waiting in the line, could not because it need signature on the printed form

May 17th Second Visit : they checked everybody's document again, previous day the girl told me I should not have stuck the photo on the form A and today exactly the opposite comments

You need to leave your Last Indian Passport+ Cancellation certificate + Landing paper

June 4th : received the documents in a courier ( Last Indian Passport + Immigration paper+ Cancellation)

Status on OCI website
Hi ,

Thanks for the nice explanation. Did you take one draft for all the aplicants or different drafts?
Also, for NOC, do we have to use the same photos we used for the application or the photos can be different?
Appreciate your response.

Regards
Venugopal

kr71

Mar 20, 2020
March 20, 2020

This is process I followed and it was smooth no issue whatsoever. i completed part A and B online and after completing and submitting, printed the documents, i believe both part A and part B. These printed documents along with copies of Canadian passport, Indian passport, cancellation document, and marriage certificate(was told marriage certificate not required if spouse name is on Indian passport) and original passports and other documents took to BLS Center and they checked within 20 minutes returned all except Indian passport. Fees $425
Submitted documents on-Feb 9th
Acknowledgment of Application-Feb 15th
Received documents in courier-Feb 18th
OCI Printed- On March 4th
OCI sent to Toronto from Delhi-On
Document received at Toronto-On
There are no more updates on OCI website after March 4th and still waiting.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Documents required:
Landing paper
Canadian Passport

Status on OCI website
Hi, What are the questions they ask in Indian customs while you were travelling on visa in Canadian passport without surrendering the Indian passport?
So all they care is that we dont use Indian passport after acquiring citizenship of other country?
I too dont want to surrender the passport if i can for some years.

Gurmanks

Feb 16, 2021
OCI process during Pandemic

Submitted Application by post: Jan 13
BLS forwarded application to Consulate: Jan 20
Date of Acknowledgement: Jan 27
OCI printed: Feb 16
Reached Toronto: Feb 16

Still waiting to get OCI from BLS centre.

My application process was quite simple but BLS delayed the process for my family. I had to contact customer service several times before I received acknowledgment.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015

My application process was quite simple but BLS delayed the process for my family. I had to contact customer service several times before I received acknowledgment.
Hi! Did you finally receive an email with your acknowledgment? Or did you track it online after Jan 27?
I’ve sent my application two weeks ago ans received nothing. Customer service has not been helpful at all.

Gurmanks

Feb 16, 2021
Hi! Did you finally receive an email with your acknowledgment? Or did you track it online after Jan 27?
I’ve sent my application two weeks ago ans received nothing. Customer service has not been helpful at all.
I didn’t get any email, I tracked myself on BLS and OCI website. Did you try complaining? They give you a ticket number and usually reply within 2 days, that’s what i did for my family’s application.
Also, I think you should check the status of your application on BLS tracking website using your passport number. It is possible that your application is processing at the Consulate general office

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
I didn’t get any email, I tracked myself on BLS and OCI website. Did you try complaining? They give you a ticket number and usually reply within 2 days, that’s what i did for my family’s application.
Also, I think you should check the status of your application on BLS tracking website using your passport number. It is possible that your application is processing at the Consulate general office
Finally my tracking showed up on the BLS website today. The application date is showing up as today, Feb 17, even though it was delivered to them on Feb 2nd. So they basically sat on it for two weeks. So dumb.

Last edited:

Gurmanks

Feb 16, 2021
Finally my tracking showed up on the BLS website today. The application date is showing up as today, Feb 17, even though it was delivered to them on Feb 2nd. So they basically sat on it for two weeks. So dumb.
They did that for my family I think now you will get acknowledgement in 3-4 days.

Gurmanks

Feb 16, 2021

Received OCI booklet: Feb 19

Reactions: sydcarton

ayeshasalma

May 27, 2014
Hi.
Can I get the customer care # to learn the OCI and Indian passport surrender process?
Meanwhile, can someone walk me through the process.
Thank you