+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath in Mississauga with lost "confirmation of permanent residence" final update

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
So I'm leaving this post in case someone is worried about attending the ceremony without all the "required" documentation.

I took the oath today 3 Years 3 Months and 9 days after my initial application.

CIC oath lettered required: 2 forms of ID, past and present passports, PR card and letter of confirmation of permanent residence.

The only documents examined was the oath letter itself and the PR card which was taken away from me. No other IDs/Passports/letter was requested/required.

If you care to read more about my oath experience read on but I offer no additional information that pertains directly to the process of obtaining citizenship:

The oath ceremony itself took about an hour and began about 45 minutes after the advertised time to show up.

The judge was of eastern-European origin, he spoke well and at length pretty informally and candidly about what it means to be a Canadian citizen. He was humorous at times but his words touched on some serious themes.

For someone becoming a Canadian I found the speech a little inappropriate. He spoke about the need to network outside of your community. To volunteer in order to obtain "Canadian experience" apparently necessary to get a job here.
He eluded to the different ways that one could seek out and obtain employment a hot topic among the many immigrants in attendance. He also spoke about Canadian liberal values, multiculturalism, tolerance etc.

It's not that I didn't agree with what he was saying I was just a little surprised this was being said at a citizenship ceremony. I thought that it's a little late to be giving the Canada 101 course to people who are becoming citizens.

My Canadian story is, I came here as an international student 10 years ago, I met my future wife at school and hang around by obtaining PR through common-law sponsorship, although I had other avenues this was simplest. I got a job at a Canadian company and shortly thereafter started my own small business. During this time I obtained two other masters degrees which I earned part-time. I got formally married and had a child. I applied for citizenship as soon as I was able to.

By the time my oath came around I really felt like I was 100% Canadian in substance, and citizenship was really just the finally technical piece of the puzzle.

So I was somewhat surprised to be sitting in a room being told what should be the fundamental basics of residence never mind citizenship. I expected to hear something more like "You've had a long journey, we'd like to formally welcome you to the family"

Anyway I'm really happy to be a Canadian. I threw a Canadian themed party afterwards with a baby seal pinata, poutine and a ton of Canadian beer. Looking forward to a bunch of visa-free travel and hopefully many more happy years in Canada.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mathlete said:
So I'm leaving this post in case someone is worried about attending the ceremony without all the "required" documentation.

CIC oath lettered required: 2 forms of ID, past and present passports, PR card and letter of confirmation of permanent residence.

The only documents examined was the oath letter itself and the PR card which was taken away from me. No other IDs/Passports/letter was requested/required.

If you care to read more about my oath experience read on but I offer no additional information that pertains directly to the process of obtaining citizenship:

The oath ceremony itself took about an hour and began about 45 minutes after the advertised time to show up.

The judge was of eastern-European origin, he spoke well and at length pretty informally and candidly about what it means to be a Canadian citizen. He was humorous at times but his words touched on some serious themes.

For someone becoming a Canadian I found the speech a little inappropriate. He spoke about the need to network outside of your community. To volunteer in order to obtain "Canadian experience" apparently necessary to get a job here.
He eluded to the different ways that one could seek out and obtain employment a hot topic among the many immigrants in attendance. He also spoke about Canadian liberal values, multiculturalism, tolerance etc.

It's not that I didn't agree with what he was saying I was just a little surprised this was being said at a citizenship ceremony. I thought that it's a little late to be giving the Canada 101 course to people who are becoming citizens.

My Canadian story is, I came here as an international student 10 years ago, I met my future wife at school and hang around by obtaining PR through common-law sponsorship, although I had other avenues this was simplest. I got a job at a Canadian company and shortly thereafter started my own small business. During this time I obtained two other masters degrees which I earned part-time. I got formally married and had a child. I applied for citizenship as soon as I was able to.

By the time my oath came around I really felt like I was 100% Canadian in substance, and citizenship was really just the finally technical piece of the puzzle.

So I was somewhat surprised to be sitting in a room being told what should be the fundamental basics of residence never mind citizenship. I expected to hear something more like "You've had a long journey, we'd like to formally welcome you to the family"

Anyway I'm really happy to be a Canadian. I threw a Canadian themed party afterwards with a baby seal pinata, poutine and a ton of Canadian beer. Looking forward to a bunch of visa-free travel and hopefully many more happy years in Canada.

congratulations for obtaining your Canadian Citizenship!

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:

Everything that has a beginning has an end.
Congratulations on your oath and do not mind about the judge lecture.
Cheers,

janoo

May 16, 2014
Congratulation well written and best for your future life...

do remember us whenever you find a time and chat with the forum.

my application also now in 39 months and no progress always get the

same answer. last 4 month getting the answer from CIC under officer review..

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations Mathelete! it is a shame that these judges do not realize that most of us have already embraced the Canadian Culture even before becoming a Canadian Citizen.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Congrats. And yeah the judge's lecture should be given to recently landed PR's, or even temp workers and students, but not new citizens. He probably assumed some things but I think his intentions were good.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
Congratulations. :D :D

Bromark

Feb 21, 2015
My permanent resident card has expired in March 2015. And I have not renewed it since I already received the oath letter. Would it be okay if I bring this expired PR card?

Thank you!

janoo

May 16, 2014
Yes there is no issue they will collect and destroy your P.R card You do not need any
more enjoy your coming days without P.R.