+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2020 - Citizenship Application

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
As per my understanding, they start process of verification & it is marked as complete after interview.
So you are saying that everything is complete before the test invite and that the test invite is actually the penultimate step before the interview / oath, even though it doesn't reflect in online. Once the test is cleared and before the oath, they mark all the process steps are complete. Am i right?

Gunners

Jul 13, 2016
A bit confusing though. If the language skills is in progress, I would think they are validating the documents submitted.

I would expect...BGC, Language, Prohibition, Physical presence to be complete - before the Citizenship test invite is sent isnt it?

If there is an issue with the documents, what will they do?
Here is the normal flow of the application status, I'm sharing this because a lot of people are expecting some steps to be completed before other steps (prohibition, physical presence, language skills are changed to completed AFTER the test and the interview).

Here are the steps and the flow:

1- Application filed
We have received your application and have begun to process your application. Information about next steps and required action items will be coming soon.

2- Background verification activity status updated
Background verification

Background verification status has been updated to Completed

3- Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test

Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress

4- Scheduled for citizenship test
Citizenship test

You've been scheduled to take citizenship test online between April 6, 2021 and April 26, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you.

5- Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test

Citizenship test status has been updated to Completed

6- Interview required
You've been scheduled to attend an interview with our official on May 3, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you

7- Prohibitions activity status updated
Prohibitions

Prohibitions status has been updated to Completed

8- Physical presence activity status updated
Physical presence

Physical presence status has been updated to Completed

9- Language skills activity status updated
Language skills

Language skills status has been updated to Completed

10- Citizenship oath activity status updated
Citizenship ceremony

Citizenship oath status has been updated to In progress

11- Scheduled for Citizenship oath
Citizenship ceremony

Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your ceremony! Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
It’s been long time no update from CIC that says:
We are finalizing applications from May 05 - May 11, 2019.
They stock in this week for more than four weeks now!!! If they are this slow, they need two years to reach November 2020 or more.
They also no update on applications history since April 23 for many applicants.

Reactions: Gunners

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
Here is the normal flow of the application status, I'm sharing this because a lot of people are expecting some steps to be completed before other steps (prohibition, physical presence, language skills are changed to completed AFTER the test and the interview).

Here are the steps and the flow:

1- Application filed
We have received your application and have begun to process your application. Information about next steps and required action items will be coming soon.

2- Background verification activity status updated
Background verification

Background verification status has been updated to Completed

3- Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test

Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress

4- Scheduled for citizenship test
Citizenship test

You've been scheduled to take citizenship test online between April 6, 2021 and April 26, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you.

5- Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test

Citizenship test status has been updated to Completed

6- Interview required
You've been scheduled to attend an interview with our official on May 3, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you

7- Prohibitions activity status updated
Prohibitions

Prohibitions status has been updated to Completed

8- Physical presence activity status updated
Physical presence

Physical presence status has been updated to Completed

9- Language skills activity status updated
Language skills

Language skills status has been updated to Completed

10- Citizenship oath activity status updated
Citizenship ceremony

Citizenship oath status has been updated to In progress

11- Scheduled for Citizenship oath
Citizenship ceremony

Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your ceremony! Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation.
Thanks for the detailed status. Really helps clarify.

I had raised a GCMS note and I see the status similar to what I see in the new portal (BGC completed while the rest are in progress). A couple of interesting information in the GCMS response I received,

1. The due date for each of these steps, which is currently marked as 6th Feb 2022 - so I presume that they are expecting a decision in my case by 6th Feb 2022 (based on my current status)
2. It also says that the secondary office handling my case - which I presume is where the case officer reviewing / making a decision on my file is located.

Reactions: halayqa

Gunners

Jul 13, 2016

I had raised a GCMS note and I see the status similar to what I see in the new portal (BGC completed while the rest are in progress). A couple of interesting information in the GCMS response I received,

1. The due date for each of these steps, which is currently marked as 6th Feb 2022 - so I presume that they are expecting a decision in my case by 6th Feb 2022 (based on my current status)
2. It also says that the secondary office handling my case - which I presume is where the case officer reviewing / making a decision on my file is located.
Can you pls advise procedure of requesting GCMS notes ? Is it a quick turnaround and worth at this stage of BG completion only?

halayqa

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017

Due to date is close to your AOR. Sounds a 1 year to take a decision, which is consistent with the application processing time .

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

From my experience, the "Due Date" you see on the GCMS notes isn't really a factor to go by. People keep getting updates WAY BEFORE or WAY AFTER the due dates mentioned in the GCMS notes. For my citizenship application, I noticed that the due date is 10 months away from my IP date. I have a detailed post with the information in my GCMS notes in another post. So, that isn't some hard date before which things will happen.

Also, what you have to be looking for more importantly is the "Location" section of your GCMS notes. See what the "Location" says. If you see "Registry", it means that your file is sitting in a registry and currently not being reviewed by an officer. If you see "Test Ready" as the location, then it means that the local office has processed your file and you are now ready to receive your test invitation.

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
Due to date is close to your AOR. Sounds a 1 year to take a decision, which is consistent with the application processing time .
Link is in my signature

You can raise it any time - nothing prevents you and based on what I understand, do not see any negative impact.

The only thing you will get is the 2 pieces of information I mentioned - the due date for your case and also the case office where it is pending. Rest all seems to be similar to what you see online.

Gunners

Jul 13, 2016
From my experience, the "Due Date" you see on the GCMS notes isn't really a factor to go by. People keep getting updates WAY BEFORE or WAY AFTER the due dates mentioned in the GCMS notes. For my citizenship application, I noticed that the due date is 10 months away from my IP date. I have a detailed post with the information in my GCMS notes in another post. So, that isn't some hard date before which things will happen.

Also, what you have to be looking for more importantly is the "Location" section of your GCMS notes. See what the "Location" says. If you see "Registry", it means that your file is sitting in a registry and currently not being reviewed by an officer. If you see "Test Ready" as the location, then it means that the local office has processed your file and you are now ready to receive your test invitation.
Thanks Raj this really helps explain and thats what I was wondering if its too early to order GCMS notes to check:

Gunners

Jul 13, 2016
It’s been long time no update from CIC that says:
We are finalizing applications from May 05 - May 11, 2019.
They stock in this week for more than four weeks now!!! If they are this slow, they need two years to reach November 2020 or more.
They also no update on applications history since April 23 for many applicants.
Certain NOV applicants have already received test invites