avm

Mar 2, 2013
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
File Transfer...
N/A
As an aside, with almost 63% AOR rate for 105 data points before the first half of February is quite something. :D
  • It definitely confirms my suspicion that something has happened to the way AOR's are being processed, somewhere around the end of October. Whether this is them pencil-whipping the applications in this stage to meet their new 90-ish calendar day/60-ish business day KPI is up for debate.
  • My other guess is that it just may have happened that the majority of applicants in November didn't present complicated processing conditions (which is difficult to determine ad somewhat subjective)
  • At the rate it's progressing, I would not be surprised to see December 2020 1st week application deliveries getting their AOR's closer to the last week of February.
  • I've been trying to chase down folks and minimize stale entries on the tracker which has helped see the data points a little clearer - Two have confirmed the applications were returned to them and the status of less than ten (that should have gotten their AORs by now) is unknown and needs following up. But by and large, it would seem that there happening at a fairly steady clip within the small sample set. This is good!
Seeing as this possible change of the way they're working has our month largely as the first guinea pigs, it's going to be interesting to see if this 'new way of doing things' also influences our timelines in getting the 'In Process' status. Folks should keep their eyes peeled for this.
I wish you are working as a Data Scientist by profession. Good analysis buddy.

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
I basically received email from CIC with application numbers. i hope that is the AOR and hope it means that my forms will not be returned. Below is the details for the tracker

Application type: Family (2 Adults, 2 Minors)
Physical presence days: 1150
Application sent: Nov 14, 2020
Application delivered: Nov 20, 2020
AOR: February 11, 2021

Reactions: vadim_n

eager

Jul 20, 2015
As an aside, with almost 63% AOR rate for 105 data points before the first half of February is quite something. :D
  • It definitely confirms my suspicion that something has happened to the way AOR's are being processed, somewhere around the end of October. Whether this is them pencil-whipping the applications in this stage to meet their new 90-ish calendar day/60-ish business day KPI is up for debate.
  • My other guess is that it just may have happened that the majority of applicants in November didn't present complicated processing conditions (which is difficult to determine ad somewhat subjective)
  • At the rate it's progressing, I would not be surprised to see December 2020 1st week application deliveries getting their AOR's closer to the last week of February.
  • I've been trying to chase down folks and minimize stale entries on the tracker which has helped see the data points a little clearer - Two have confirmed the applications were returned to them and the status of less than ten (that should have gotten their AORs by now) is unknown and needs following up. But by and large, it would seem that there happening at a fairly steady clip within the small sample set. This is good!
Seeing as this possible change of the way they're working has our month largely as the first guinea pigs, it's going to be interesting to see if this 'new way of doing things' also influences our timelines in getting the 'In Process' status. Folks should keep their eyes peeled for this.
On point

Reactions: siddharthbala

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi - What does AOR mean? - in the sense...does it just indicate that the application was received? I understood that if the application was missing any information / fails some basic checks - then there will not be any AOR and the application package returned. Is my understanding correct?
AOR = Acknowledgment of Receipt
Once you receive AOR it means your application will not be returned.

Here are the different stages an application goes through :https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1465&top=5

Reactions: OllySyd

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
I love your analysis. Maybe they are trying to catch up with the paper applications to launch the online applications formally and officially, this is just my assumption. Three of the December online applicants have received AORs already, so the December statistics are going to look quite different from previous months.
No problem! :) For me this is kinda fun because the data doesn't lie and it's possible, with a large enough sample size, to try and figure out how the heck they're prioritizing the backlog and processing applications.

I think the problem now is that for the December onward records, there is now a mix of people who applied online and paper-based applications. I kinda wish the Admin of the sheet had taken a stand to exclude and separate these into their own sheet (though I recognize there are problems with that approach too). It's very clear that the Online Application program, being a pilot program, is going to have a much shorter and tighter process loop than the paper-based applications because it's being scrutinized by a specific group of people on IRCC's side that is part of managing that pilot project.

Now, the numbers from those are going to muddy the metrics for all months starting December because there will effectively two sets of data mixed in one - the faster, more agile Online Application track and the traditional paper-based application track.

With regards to catching up - it's hard to say, at this point. :(

My only guesses are that they've done one of the following:

a) They changed up the list of activities they do before it hits a certain stage and shuffled it around (which is possible, maybe they used to do 10 activities before it hit Status A and then 3 activities before it hit Status B, but now they do 6 activities before it hits Status A and then 7 activities for Status B). This to an extent, is possible - it would massage their KPI numbers because now the apps would hit a specific stage sooner, but it could mean delays for the subsequent status change - basically trading delays at one point for another. That's why I want to see the AOR -> In Process timelines and averages for November 2020 group before ruling this out entirely.

b) ('Really-out-there' guess) They are processing these applications differently, possibly digitally, that allows it to move faster - these applications may have been loaded into the same backend system that is now hooked up to the front-end system of the Online Citizenship Application Pilot program. So even if our applications started as paper-based applications, they've wound up in the same system as the ones currently being fed in directly from applicants through the pilot. This would mean that there is now a method for folks at home to continue to work on applications for their bits of the process.

This is just theorizing, but the patterns will become more evident as more and more data points come in. Ideally, if there was a way to have the folks on the disparate Facebook groups also add their info in here, it'd make it even more useful to everyone.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
No problem! :) For me this is kinda fun because the data doesn't lie and it's possible, with a large enough sample size, to try and figure out how the heck they're prioritizing the backlog and processing applications.

I think the problem now is that for the December onward records, there is now a mix of people who applied online and paper-based applications. I kinda wish the Admin of the sheet had taken a stand to exclude and separate these into their own sheet (though I recognize there are problems with that approach too). It's very clear that the Online Application program, being a pilot program, is going to have a much shorter and tighter process loop than the paper-based applications because it's being scrutinized by a specific group of people on IRCC's side that is part of managing that pilot project.

Now, the numbers from those are going to muddy the metrics for all months starting December because there will effectively two sets of data mixed in one - the faster, more agile Online Application track and the traditional paper-based application track.

With regards to catching up - it's hard to say, at this point. :(

My only guesses are that they've done one of the following:

a) They changed up the list of activities they do before it hits a certain stage and shuffled it around (which is possible, maybe they used to do 10 activities before it hit Status A and then 3 activities before it hit Status B, but now they do 6 activities before it hits Status A and then 7 activities for Status B). This to an extent, is possible - it would massage their KPI numbers because now the apps would hit a specific stage sooner, but it could mean delays for the subsequent status change - basically trading delays at one point for another. That's why I want to see the AOR -> In Process timelines and averages for November 2020 group before ruling this out entirely.

b) ('Really-out-there' guess) They are processing these applications differently, possibly digitally, that allows it to move faster - these applications may have been loaded into the same backend system that is now hooked up to the front-end system of the Online Citizenship Application Pilot program. So even if our applications started as paper-based applications, they've wound up in the same system as the ones currently being fed in directly from applicants through the pilot. This would mean that there is now a method for folks at home to continue to work on applications for their bits of the process.

This is just theorizing, but the patterns will become more evident as more and more data points come in. Ideally, if there was a way to have the folks on the disparate Facebook groups also add their info in here, it'd make it even more useful to everyone.
Your ('Really-out-there' guess) is probably closer to the truth. IRCC probably has implemented on-line processing of the paper applications to some degree, and that has resulted in the spurt of activity that we are now seeing.

Hopefully, it sees processing time remain near the current 12 month mark (if not reduce).

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Your ('Really-out-there' guess) is probably closer to the truth. IRCC probably has implemented on-line processing of the paper applications to some degree, and that has resulted in the spurt of activity that we are now seeing.

Hopefully, it sees processing time remain near the current 12 month mark (if not reduce).
Online apps started in december and people have got the aor in early February , so that is better as compared to paper for individuals.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
I have received AOR today!!! My application was sent from Ottawa and received by IRCC on November 20th, 2020.
Congrats DariaZ! :D

Can you also provide the following:

a) Number of Physical Presence Days?
b) When did you submit the application?
c) Single or Family application (And if Family, how many members?)

I can add the info to the tracker with the info!

Reactions: BOYX

DariaZ

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Congrats DariaZ! :D

Can you also provide the following:

a) Number of Physical Presence Days?
b) When did you submit the application?
c) Single or Family application (And if Family, how many members?)

I can add the info to the tracker with the info!
Thank you!

a) 1114, b) Nov 16, 2020, c) it was only for me

DariaZ

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Does anybody know on average how long does it take to get the test? I assume our batch is expecting online testing.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Online apps started in december and people have got the aor in early February , so that is better as compared to paper for individuals.
That's probably because there was no need to digitize the paper app (since there was no 'paper' to begin with)

Wethewest

Star Member
Oct 26, 2020
AOR Received.

Application type: Family (2 Adults)
Physical presence days: 1105
Application sent: Nov 12, 2020
Application delivered: Nov 19, 2020
AOR: February 11, 2021

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga