+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***November 2018*** INLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

KarlZ

Feb 25, 2019
Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question and someone can help me. Now that the OWP is approved, can I just bring it as a travel document? Can I use it like a visa or I need to apply for a new visa? I'm a little confused. I currently hold a tourist visa that will expire on the 26th of this month.
When they granted your OWP they probably also granted you an eTA. Check on your GCKey account. The eTA is an electronic visa, i.e. not stamped in your passport but electronically linked to it. When you're travelling, though, it's advisable that you take with you, beside your passport, your Open Work Permit, the proof of your PR application and a proof of residence and work.

Reactions: MirGer

BrianP152

Feb 26, 2019
Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question and someone can help me. Now that the OWP is approved, can I just bring it as a travel document? Can I use it like a visa or I need to apply for a new visa? I'm a little confused. I currently hold a tourist visa that will expire on the 26th of this month.
At the bottom of my work permit in the remarks section, it says the following: "Temporary Resident Status Maintained as per R183(6)"

So as long as you don't leave Canada you are still under implied status. Should you leave you will need to meet the entry requirements of a citizen of your home country.

Knowing that I may travel back to the US, I asked several different CBSA officers about leaving and coming back during the PR processing and I was told that it would not be an issue for me.

Reactions: KarlZ

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
I received my OWP in the mail last Friday.

It took only 3 days to get to me by mail once approved.

As far as restrictions go, I don't have the healthcare/education restriction that others have talked about. Just the other 2. Not sure if it is because I had medical exam done prior to OWP being approved, or the fact that I won't be seeking employment in the healthcare/education fields.
Same: received it Friday, no healthcare/education restrictions

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Mine doesn’t have restrictions about healthcare /education either but I thought it’s because I put my intended work for health care or child education. What did you guys put in that section ?
I put my intended ocupation as something else (retail) and I got my OWP not restricted for healthcare/education and same with @BrianP152
So no I don't think that's the reason

mili80

Jun 24, 2018
You cannot renew a visa from inside Canada, only certain visa holders can (students I think). You would have to search in CIC's website. I know that because my son's visa expired weeks ago and I tried to renew it from inside Canada.
The OWP is not a travel document. However, you do raise a good point over there... If I were to obtain a work visa from outside Canada, it would be printed/pasted (the counterfoil) in my passport, just like they do with the tourist and student visas... so why isn't the work permit a valid document to apply to enter Canada? Perhaps it is because the category for which is given (Spousal, CL partner class).
ETA are given only to passport holders of visa-exempt countries.

ginko

May 1, 2017
Hi, I was wondering if you guys know this/have an idea:
If I decide to change jobs now, before I'm approved as a Sponsor, would that affect my eligibility for approval in any way?

Thanks!
Nope, as long as you don't go on welfare it's fine. I asked someone from the IRCC twitter about this as well and they said you don't have to inform them of any employment changes.

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
Hello Everyone! I have been reading this forum for quiet sometime. I just got approved on my Vistor's Visa (TRV) and will be in Canada in April. My Canadian Citizen Boyfriend and I plans to get married inside Canada on May. After getting married, we are planning on having Inland Spousal Sponsorship and at the same time to have OWP. Can you guys help me what to do first? Any advices? And do I have to secure Police certificate from my home country? (I'm from philippines) Thanks in advance everyone :*

Fizzybe

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
Hello Everyone! I have been reading this forum for quiet sometime. I just got approved on my Vistor's Visa (TRV) and will be in Canada in April. My Canadian Citizen Boyfriend and I plans to get married inside Canada on May. After getting married, we are planning on having Inland Spousal Sponsorship and at the same time to have OWP. Can you guys help me what to do first? Any advices? And do I have to secure Police certificate from my home country? (I'm from philippines) Thanks in advance everyone :*
You will need a police certificate from all the countries you have lived in for 6+ months for the past 10 years or since you were 18, except from Canada, since the government here has access to that already. Start by going on the CIC website and checking out the documentary requirements for your country. You may have documents that would be easier to get while you're still there. Then download the document checklist and start filling out the forms and gathering proof of your relationship. Get help from a lawyer if you feel you may miss something.

Reactions: RakithaW

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
You will need a police certificate from all the countries you have lived in for 6+ months for the past 10 years or since you were 18, except from Canada, since the government here has access to that already. Start by going on the CIC website and checking out the documentary requirements for your country. You may have documents that would be easier to get while you're still there. Then download the document checklist and start filling out the forms and gathering proof of your relationship. Get help from a lawyer if you feel you may miss something.
Thank you for your response! I have one question. Is it okay to get married inside Canada and apply for a Spousal Sponsorship after?

KarlZ

Feb 25, 2019
From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=206&top=17

Should I apply for an eTA or a visa when I apply for a work permit?
No. Depending on your citizenship, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, as well as a work permit. Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.

You may also need to give biometrics. Citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.