+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2014 Applicants

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
fdk511 said:
@ thecoolguysam, the timing of your message is excellent, since I was reviewing this exact topic yesterday. We moved to our new address on the 1st of October. Licenses arrived within a couple of weeks BUT have new issue dates on them, which will probably trigger the C1 red flag for RQ. As I found out from AMA, the driver abstract only lists infractions, demerits etc and NOT the date of original issuance of the license. AMA can, however, perform a search on your license and issue a letter stating the date of the original issuance of the license (for a fee of course). I believe any registry in Alberta can do the same, but I am not sure what value this will add.

For now, I am considering NOT submitting my license but instead submitting copies of our Alberta health cards, and in the cover letter refer to the copies of bio pages of current passport to be the second piece of ID along with satisfying the requirements of biographical pages of passports. Alberta health cards, unfortunately, don't have photos, addresses or issuance dates noted, but only list name and date of birth for biographical purposes. While technically copies of PR cards and passports might also suffice for the personal id requirement, I do want to attach at least one provinicial document as proof of id.

My wife and I did discuss delaying the application by 2 more months, but quite frankly we think that
1. having even one Alberta-related document in our application should help (in this case the health card)
2. even if we submit our application 3 months + 1 day after the date of license issuance, it still might trigger the RQ if the CIC officer looks upon the "timing" of the application.

And yes, before anyone comments, I am being over-cautious :)
i think in application ID requirements, one of the IDs should have photo.

In BC, I have my driver's license and on its back, I have the health card number. Till 2017-2018, everyone in BC has to merge both IDs to one. People in BC still have separate health card and driver's license. You are lucky to have it separately as you can use it as a piece of ID.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:

In BC, I have my driver's license and on its back, I have the health card number. Till 2017-2018, everyone in BC has to merge both IDs to one. People in BC still have separate health card and driver's license. You are lucky to have it separately as you can use it as a piece of ID.
So can we use Passport + Health card? or PR Card + Health card as ID?

When do you plan to submit your application? Good luck in advance !

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:

I agree that one of the IDs should have photo. In fact the instructions specifically state that one of the pieces of id MUST have a photo, which in the case of my passport is applicable, and as both the passport and the Alberta health card have my name and date of birth on it, I am comfortable that this should meet the requirement.

There is also no requirement listed under this section that the IDs used must also have the current address noted on it. Had this been the case, I would have been forced to use my license, and that in turn might have necessitated for at least three months before submitting our application.

If other senior members want to chime in and provide some feedback, that would be highly appreciated.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
In my opinion, sending extra documents is not worth it. They even have not asked for work records (as per new application, just the education records). There is no point sending these.

What I can think about the citizenship officer is that he tries to assess the application and check the information printed in the application and if he feels like that its a RQ trigger, then no matter what even you have sent all paperwork in advance, he will still request it again and you will end up sending same information again with some additional information. If you are unable to provide additional information, then application may get delayed and will cause issues.

As stated previously, try sending specific documents and start to prepare paperwork for RQ so that you don't have to rush if you receive RQ. I think its usually 45 days. So, after receiving RQ, simply send the paperwork next day.
After sending the application, start collecting RQ paperwork and if CIC does not ask RQ, keep the paperwork for the interview so that interview process goes smoothly and they don't request additional documentation.

Just my 2 cents

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
SinghLovCan said:
So can we use Passport + Health card? or PR Card + Health card as ID?

When do you plan to submit your application? Good luck in advance !
I am not sure whether you can include PR card or not, its better to call CIC and ask the agent.

You can use your passport copy (biographical pages) and copy of both sides of your health card

5. Two (2) pieces of personal identification

Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:

a Canadian driver's licence
a Canadian health insurance card
a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document, etc.
If there is information on both sides of your personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

Note: Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, bank cards and credit cards are not acceptable pieces of identification.

I am planning to send either end of this month or next month. :)

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
In my opinion, sending extra documents is not worth it. They even have not asked for work records (as per new application, just the education records). There is no point sending these.
I agree with thecoolguysam, but one must wonder why in the application form they requested the Education documents and not work documents. Education documents can be VERIFIED and a concrete proof of residency can be establish. Some ppl work for cash and are self-employed these documents cannot be verified at all the time... BUT if you have continuous employment and documents like ROE, T4s and NOA.. I think you should include these - such documents will establish a concrete proof of residence in my opinion and along with Medical records. Chances of RQ will be nullified.

rmust

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-Nov-2011
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2012
Med's Request
27-March-2012
Med's Done....
31-March-2012
Passport Req..
22-June-12
VISA ISSUED...
27-July-12 (received Aug 2)
LANDED..........
04-Aug-12
SinghLovCan said:
From which country did you immigrate from?
I came to Canada in 2003 as an international student from United Arab Emirates where I was born and lived. I am however a Bangladeshi passport holder.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
SinghLovCan said:
I agree with thecoolguysam, but one must wonder why in the application form they requested the Education documents and not work documents. Education documents can be VERIFIED and a concrete proof of residency can be establish. Some ppl work for cash and are self-employed these documents cannot be verified at all the time... BUT if you have continuous employment and documents like ROE, T4s and NOA.. I think you should include these - such documents will establish a concrete proof of residence in my opinion and along with Medical records. Chances of RQ will be nullified.
I agree but i have seen someone in this forum stating that he never left canada and sent a bunch of paperwork mentioned above and still got RQ.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
I agree but i have seen someone in this forum stating that he never left canada and sent a bunch of paperwork mentioned above and still got RQ.
That sounds scary. I think in Sydney they just do the initial assessment of your file and see if you need a RQ based on the flags they have on file. For eg. "Unemployed".

I am not sure how they verify your employment history ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
SinghLovCan said:
That sounds scary. I think in Sydney they just do the initial assessment of your file and see if you need a RQ based on the flags they have on file. For eg. "Unemployed".

I am not sure how they verify your employment history ?
In my opinion they look at the application data first and then they verify to see if the person qualifies for RQ or not. Then the next step would be checking the additional paperwork but the RQ trigger generates from the application itself not the additional paperwork

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what paper work they check? For eg. if someone did not get RQ, how do they verify if that person actually lived in Canada. Education can be verified, how do they verify Employment?
and what is Immigration clearance, Background Clearance and Security Clearance?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
SinghLovCan said:
So what paper work they check? For eg. if someone did not get RQ, how do they verify if that person actually lived in Canada. Education can be verified, how do they verify Employment?
and what is Immigration clearance, Background Clearance and Security Clearance?
I am not aware about their workflow however, they look at the main application first to see what the applicant has entered and according to their personal experience (as they work with 1000s of applications) they can check the authenticity of the information and then they check the attached photocopies to complete the assessment.

When the check the main application and see something fishy (which in their terms seems to be a RQ trigger), then if they are not satisfied, even though the applicant has attached additional paperwork to show their ties with canada, they will issue a RQ and that could be the reason why the people who have sent a lot of paperwork and never left canada got RQ.

You can say "First impression is the last impression" which means try to fill the main application as accurately and informative as possible.

I also think CBSA report plays an important role.

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
fdk511 said:
Greetings group. I have been surfing this forum for quite a while, and now that our time approaches to submit our citizenship application, this topic appears to be very appropriate to join and comment.

I am currently waiting on my wife's official CELPIP General LS results to arrive before submitting the application, which I anticipate to be mid-November. We have received the online scores last week, and depending on the forum/CELPIP official FAQs, the required score should be received in the mail in 4-10 business days.

I do feel that I am getting a bit carried away by the amount of documents that I am attaching with our family application (3 people), but based on what I have read, it appears that avoiding an RQ should allow for a smoother processing time (We are based in Edmonton).

Here is what I am attaching so far (apart from the usual app form/bio pages etc)

1. Language requirements:
Myself: Original sealed transcripts from my universities in the States, along with copies of the conferred degrees
Wife: General LS score sheet (once received)

2. Education records:
Myself/wife/son: Copy of my son's school record

3. Work records:
Myself: Letters of employment from past three employers, Notice of Assessments, Copies of paystubs (one for each year in Canada)
Wife: Homemaker, so N/A for her

4. Additional documents
Myself/wife/son:
a. Color copies of all pages from our passport (I have copied two to a page and double-sided, so a 36-page booklet is reduced to 5-pages)
b. copy of doctor's visit record for Edmonton (the doctor in Manitoba is taking too long to pull our records, so unless received in the next week, I will proceed without them).
b. Lease copies for last three years.

Myself:
a. copy of a hydro bill from Manitoba
b. copy of an Adult EAL score report from Manitoba (NOT being used for language requirement)

Wife:
a. copy of a cable bill from Manitoba
b. copy of a flu immunization in Alberta (also applies for my son)

Overkill? Need more? Any feedback would be appreciated.

To this who have applied already, all the best with your application's progress.
Does CIC ask you to submit record of employment or employment letters from past and present employer? I dont remember reading this. Do they care where you work as long as you pay your taxes to CRA?. I think employment record will be additional documents.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushmet said:
Does CIC ask you to submit record of employment or employment letters from past and present employer? I dont remember reading this. Do they care where you work as long as you pay your taxes to CRA?. I think employment record will be additional documents.
@sushmet, this remains a very touchy subject on the forums, where a cursory search on "work records" showed multiple threads with people having a very spirited debate.

The best I could find to support my approach has been
1. In the form CIT0002E (05-2014) for question 6F: ...."If you answered yes, you must provide photocopies of your work and/or education records" AND in the forum
2. canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/workjob-record-t231277.15.html

I don't like to assume that letters of employment will suffice, and even though the instruction guide is geared more towards details on education records I still feel that having NOAs would prove stronger employment ties.

Now having said that, some members on the above linked thread did state that they did not provide any work-related documents yet their file has progressed beyond the initial RQ stage. I am by no means an immigration/citizenship expert - I am filing this for the first time, so if others want to debate this point and have actual knowledge or can refer to other members who have applied after the 05-2014 version of the form came out, I will be more than happy to take their inputs into account.

For now, I am reasonably convinced that NOAs/employment letters/pay-stubs etc should be attached with the initial application. I am not including ALL the pay slips (as someone else mentioned, there is such a thing as TOO much documentation), but with three tax returns, three employment letters and a sample pay stub for past three years, I think the intent of providing a work record is being met.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
It says nowhere in the application form to provide photocopies of work records. It just says specifically education records.

Also, In the application guide, it says no where to attach the work records.