+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Notice to Prepare for your Citizenship Exam"?

jneid18

Dec 27, 2013
Me too received this notice today. Applied for citizenship April 2013. Received RQ mid October and sent all docs end October 2013. Hope exams is not too far.

wizdom

Dec 25, 2013
With the variety of dates showing for RQs, it could be that they are issuing this letter to all RQs although I doubt it as they do not have the resources to do extra work.

dreamliner

Dec 25, 2013
wizdom said:
With the variety of dates showing for RQs, it could be that they are issuing this letter to all RQs although I doubt it as they do not have the resources to do extra work.
I think they are issuing this letter to all RQs, and they begin to collect your entries' record from CBSA.
Currently No Routine's process time is still 35 months. I don't see any changes.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was having a general chat with a legal contact who told me this letter also goes someway to negating a Mandamus Application since it could be considered part of the processing i.e. its more difficult to say CIC haven't touched my file for 3 years with no communication if you get one of these letters!

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Application sent to Sydney April 8, 2013

Application processing started on June 7, 2013

Residence Questionnaire received from the CIC Montreal office on October 4, 2013

Notice to prepare for test received from CIC Montreal office on December 28, 2013

winterman

Dec 30, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I received the same letter on Dec.20, 2013. I also made phone calls to few friends who submitted RQ back in summer and they all received the same letter. So, I believe it is just a general mail to let you know that the RQ is received by CIC and "maybe" they have conducted the CSBA report as well. I made a phone call today to call center and I believe everyone of you should. Even though the agents always give you vague answers you can always understand a little piece of reality by calling them! The call agent told me: "He is aware of such letters (means they are most likely generic mails) but he cannot give me a timeline for test (means the letters are generic mails)". He added : "The CIC is generating these letters to give you time to prepare for test" then I asked "Did not I know this before?" He answered : "Yes, but previously they would finish processing the RQs and then call you for test, now you may get a test date while your RQ is still under process."
Here is my conclusion: "The letters are generic letters for those who submitted RQ and perhaps the CSBA processing is done for them, so their RQ POTENTIALLY can be processed. CIC is trying to reduce the backlog, so is arranging the test while processing the RQs. In this way right after the processing is done, they can invite you for Oath. In other words, the PRE-TEST RQs will be still under processing even after the test is done. This could be bad or good. Bad because they might be treated like POST-TEST RQs that take for ever. Good because it eliminates a portion of waiting time, i.e. waiting for test after RQ is done."

My timeline:

Application sent : June 2012 Winnipeg
Application Received : July 2012
In Process: March 2013
RQ Received: August 2013
RQ Submitted: September 2013
Notice to prepare for citizenship test received : December 20, 2013

Cheers

Randypandy

Star Member
May 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
winterman said:
Hello Everyone,

I received the same letter on Dec.20, 2013. I also made phone calls to few friends who submitted RQ back in summer and they all received the same letter. So, I believe it is just a general mail to let you know that the RQ is received by CIC and "maybe" they have conducted the CSBA report as well. I made a phone call today to call center and I believe everyone of you should. Even though the agents always give you vague answers you can always understand a little piece of reality by calling them! The call agent told me: "He is aware of such letters (means they are most likely generic mails) but he cannot give me a timeline for test (means the letters are generic mails)". He added : "The CIC is generating these letters to give you time to prepare for test" then I asked "Did not I know this before?" He answered : "Yes, but previously they would finish processing the RQs and then call you for test, now you may get a test date while your RQ is still under process."
Here is my conclusion: "The letters are generic letters for those who submitted RQ and perhaps the CSBA processing is done for them, so their RQ POTENTIALLY can be processed. CIC is trying to reduce the backlog, so is arranging the test while processing the RQs. In this way right after the processing is done, they can invite you for Oath. In other words, the PRE-TEST RQs will be still under processing even after the test is done. This could be bad or good. Bad because they might be treated like POST-TEST RQs that take for ever. Good because it eliminates a portion of waiting time, i.e. waiting for test after RQ is done."

My timeline:

Application sent : June 2012 Winnipeg
Application Received : July 2012
In Process: March 2013
RQ Received: August 2013
RQ Submitted: September 2013
Notice to prepare for citizenship test received : December 20, 2013

Cheers
Winter man

Thanks for sharing your call details today with CIC. Hope for some Good news.

srandy

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, Did the letter come from the local office? What does the letter say except asking for exam preparation?

jneid18 said:
Me too received this notice today. Applied for citizenship April 2013. Received RQ mid October and sent all docs end October 2013. Hope exams is not too far.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I have just received those letters for my wife and my kids in the mail today, the strange thing that I didn't receive mine, I called CIC and they told me there was an error in the system and they sent mine to my address back home (not in Canada), and she said she corrected that and I should receive one to my mail here shortly.

Do you think they sent it to my origin country intentionally to test something?

I asked her if my RQ is assigned to an officer yet, she said yes early this month, and as I got this letter we should receive the test letter in spring , it might be a good news, at least we have now a timeline if she was giving me the right info.

One thing I was unhappy with as well, that my minor kids received the same letters, I asked her is this an error, she said that if they turned 18 at the time of test invitation then they have to take the test, regardless of the fact they were minors at the time of initial application, please let me know what do you think about that.

Cheers

lynnzzm

Jun 13, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
look4d said:
Hi all,
I have just received those letters for my wife and my kids in the mail today, the strange thing that I didn't receive mine, I called CIC and they told me there was an error in the system and they sent mine to my address back home (not in Canada), and she said she corrected that and I should receive one to my mail here shortly.

I asked her if my RQ is assigned to an officer yet, she said yes early this month, and as I got this letter we should receive the test letter in spring , it might be a good news, at least we have now a timeline if she was giving me the right info.

One thing I was unhappy with as well, that my minor kids received the same letters, I asked her is this an error, she said that if they turned 18 at the time of test invitation then they have to take the test, regardless of the fact they were minors at the time of initial application, please let me know what do you think about that.

Cheers
I don't think your minor kid need test.The agent provided wrong information to you.

siki

Dec 16, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/2010
AOR Received.
12/2014
File Transfer...
02/2015
Med's Request
04/2015
Med's Done....
05/2015
Hi everyone. So I got the same letter today dated 18th Dec from St clairs office. You guys might be right about that this could be the generic letter but the sigh at the end is done by real person, so someone is working on your file and I think we all will hopefully get something soon.
Applied July 2012
RQ Jan 2013
Rq send Feb 2013

siki

Dec 16, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/2010
AOR Received.
12/2014
File Transfer...
02/2015
Med's Request
04/2015
Med's Done....
05/2015
Hey I called them as well and the guy told me that he saw in my file that I should get a test in Jan or Feb and if I don't get anything by Feb, call us back. I hope he is rite
look4d said:
Hi all,

Cheers

dreamliner

Dec 25, 2013
siki said:
Hey I called them as well and the guy told me that he saw in my file that I should get a test in Jan or Feb and if I don't get anything by Feb, call us back. I hope he is rite
This is the best one we have got. :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
I was having a general chat with a legal contact who told me this letter also goes someway to negating a Mandamus Application since it could be considered part of the processing i.e. its more difficult to say CIC haven't touched my file for 3 years with no communication if you get one of these letters!
Thanks for posting this Msafiri. I suspect this is a big reason for the "Notice to Prepare..."

But I imagine that a FC judge might assess the quality of the "processing" represented by CIT 0521. CIT 0521 is super general form letter dispatched automatically and doesn't definitively indicate any honest or earnest action on a file, as far as I can tell. It seems to be going out to a high percentage of RQ recipients all at once (seriously, I'd like to hear for RQ recipients who haven't gotten it...I got my second copy this week and I'm hoping for a third copy by the end of January), a judge might find that the form is more about appearances than a meaningful report of status on one's application.