+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notarise documents?

Steeden1

Oct 26, 2014
Hello, I am a British citizen applying for PR in Canada after spending 2.5 years living and working there and now I am engaged to a Canadian Girl.

We are almost finished sorting out our application, but I have one question.

What documents needs to be notarised? I know not to send original documents, but do the following copies require a notary public?

* Copy of passport (All pages)
* Birth Certficate
* Drivers Licence
* Nation insurance card (Similar to SIN number card)

I have been reading conflicting information on the internet; Some people say that all photocopies will require a notary public and some people say
it's only required for translated copies.

Will the above photocopied documents (That are in English) require a Notary??

Thank you :)

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I am aware, none of those require a notary. From what I know, you only need a notary for documents being translated, and for the Declaration of Common Law form.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
Steeden1 said:
Hello, I am a British citizen applying for PR in Canada after spending 2.5 years living and working there and now I am engaged to a Canadian Girl.

We are almost finished sorting out our application, but I have one question.

What documents needs to be notarised? I know not to send original documents, but do the following copies require a notary public?

* Copy of passport (All pages)
* Birth Certficate
* Drivers Licence
* Nation insurance card (Similar to SIN number card)

I have been reading conflicting information on the internet; Some people say that all photocopies will require a notary public and some people say
it's only required for translated copies.

Will the above photocopied documents (That are in English) require a Notary??

Thank you :)
you also notarize the letters from your friends and family

Steeden1

Oct 26, 2014
Why would letters from family and friend require a notary?

This is what is confusing me. Two different answers. One telling me not to notarise and one telling me to notarise everything.

Still confused :eek:

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Different regions have different requirements. I looked at the country-specific checklist for the UK, and only documents that are not in English (or French) need to be translated and notarized. However, if you are applying as common-law, then yes, you will need at least two statutory declarations and those must be notarized.

Steeden1

Oct 26, 2014
MilesAway said:
Different regions have different requirements. I looked at the country-specific checklist for the UK, and only documents that are not in English (or French) need to be translated and notarized. However, if you are applying as common-law, then yes, you will need at least two statutory declarations and those must be notarized.
Thank you for your reply :)

Define statutory declarations? Can this be any official identity documentation?

Thank you

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
The statutory declarations they request for common-law couples are to be from family or friends certifying that they know of your relationship and that it is genuine and continuing. Those have to be notarized.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
ya they are right. if you will apply for common law you should also submit at least 2 statutory declaration from your close friends or family member ( dont forget to notarize it). I don't know if these statutory declaration are also needed for spousal sponsorship. :)

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superman2012 said:
ya they are right. if you will apply for common law you should also submit at least 2 statutory declaration from your close friends or family member ( dont forget to notarize it). I don't know if these statutory declaration are also needed for spousal sponsorship. :)
That is not quite right. Superman is confusing statutory declarations and notarized documents. The latter are sworn before a notary public. Notaries public do exist in the UK but they are few and far between. So far as I am aware CIC does not require anything to be sworn before a notary. I certainly did not swear anything when I applied. Statutory declarations are not sworn declarations, but are, as the description of them suggests, solemn declarations made under the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act, 1835. So far as I am aware (I do not have the text of the statute in front of me as I write this) they do not have to be made before a solicitor, though they usually are. The usual form begins with the formula 'I, so and so, of [address and occupation] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:..' The body of the declaration then sets out, usually in numbered paragraphs, the text of the declaration, and it ends with the formula (if declared before a solicitor, as is usual) : 'And I make this statutory declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835' Then it is signed by the person who makes the declaration (not sworn). Usually the solicitor then adds 'Declared at [address] before me [followed by the solicitor's name and if he is a Commissioner for Oaths describing him as such.) If your two witnesses go to a solicitor to sign their declarations there will be a small fee payable. That varies from solicitor to solicitor (check in advance when arranging the appointment) but £5 per declaration is not uncommon: it only requires a signature and so does not take more than a second or two! Easy money if the documents have been prepared in advance!
Have a careful look at the Immigrant's checklist of documents, which makes it clear what must be sent with your application. Some of the documents must be originals (particularly the application forms), as Superman rightly says there must be two statutory declarations (and you will need to send the originals) , if any of the documents are not in English or French they must be translated and the translation must be certified, but otherwise photocopies are accepted. But read the list carefully!
What I have described above applies only to UK applicants like you. CIC's requirements vary from country to country.

Tynen

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
File Transfer...
30-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-11-2015
Hi wowsers, so for the 2 required statutory declaration (notarised) is it to be used on the form IMM 5409? because the way you described how it should be written matches the application form itself. If not, does it have to be written similarily by the ppl who are the witnesses?

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tynen said:
Hi wowsers, so for the 2 required statutory declaration (notarised) is it to be used on the form IMM 5409? because the way you described how it should be written matches the application form itself. If not, does it have to be written similarily by the ppl who are the witnesses?
Sorry, I do not fully understand your question. Statutory declarations are not 'notarized'. The use of that word simply confuses the issue. Nor do the statutory declarations required by CIC have to be written on any CIC form. IMM 5409 is not usually required at all; it is only required when a common law partner is a co-signer and that is usually not possible or necessary. However two statutory declarations from persons who know about your relationship with the sponsor are always required (see the documents checklist). You (or the declarants) type or write out the statements in numbered paragraphs, topped and tailed with the wording I quoted in my last post. The declarant signs at the bottom of the statement. By all means send the declarants to get the declaration signed by a solicitor as well, though as I said in my post that as I recollect is not essential; though when I prepared mine I asked my declarants to sign their declarations before a solicitor (and paid the small fee). By the way when I wrote my last post I should have made it clear that I was describing the law as it applies in England and Wales, not, as I wrote in too much of a hurry, the UK. Scotland has a separate legal system of which I know very little!

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
wowsers said:
That is not quite right. Superman is confusing statutory declarations and notarized documents. The latter are sworn before a notary public. Notaries public do exist in the UK but they are few and far between. So far as I am aware CIC does not require anything to be sworn before a notary. I certainly did not swear anything when I applied. Statutory declarations are not sworn declarations, but are, as the description of them suggests, solemn declarations made under the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act, 1835. So far as I am aware (I do not have the text of the statute in front of me as I write this) they do not have to be made before a solicitor, though they usually are. The usual form begins with the formula 'I, so and so, of [address and occupation] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:..' The body of the declaration then sets out, usually in numbered paragraphs, the text of the declaration, and it ends with the formula (if declared before a solicitor, as is usual) : 'And I make this statutory declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835' Then it is signed by the person who makes the declaration (not sworn). Usually the solicitor then adds 'Declared at [address] before me [followed by the solicitor's name and if he is a Commissioner for Oaths describing him as such.) If your two witnesses go to a solicitor to sign their declarations there will be a small fee payable. That varies from solicitor to solicitor (check in advance when arranging the appointment) but £5 per declaration is not uncommon: it only requires a signature and so does not take more than a second or two! Easy money if the documents have been prepared in advance!
Have a careful look at the Immigrant's checklist of documents, which makes it clear what must be sent with your application. Some of the documents must be originals (particularly the application forms), as Superman rightly says there must be two statutory declarations (and you will need to send the originals) , if any of the documents are not in English or French they must be translated and the translation must be certified, but otherwise photocopies are accepted. But read the list carefully!
What I have described above applies only to UK applicants like you. CIC's requirements vary from country to country.
Anything going out of province or country must be notarised by a notary public. I was advised of this by a lawyer, the statutory declaration laws in place in an applicants home country do not matter in this instance.

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kangamoose said:
I was advised of this by a lawyer,
Good to hear that someone has such faith in lawyers! After 50 years in practice as a lawyer I read that as if it were music to my ears! A pity that what he was told is wrong.

Tynen

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
File Transfer...
30-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-11-2015
I'm assuming the 2 statutory declaration needs to be written by the declarants (friends/family) affirming and supporting me and my partners relationship?