+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Normal Processing Times from Calgary office?

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Some feedback from the CJ session:

1. Impressive theater and ideal for oath ceremonies.
2. 30-40 attendees.
3. Most of the session was about eligibility and the application process including changes in Bill C24 - these are well known already.
4. Intent to reside issue not resolved - how to define intention, what changes it, how it changes etc. IMHO case law will be the definitive answer to this.
5. Physical presence clause will kick in Summer 2015 - no actual date. 2 school of thoughts is my view - one a high profile cut off date of July 1 or go with the timeline to recent change to a 1 stop process of August 1.
6. No actual YYC citizenship inventory numbers, CIC staff numbers and output target provided so no definitive clarity on when processing times will decrease. CJ did state there was a significant increase in staffing in the last year. Logical that its linked to the fee increase.
7. RQ processing timelines still an issue - no max given but as per forum the WOM route and case law indicates the 36 month timeline a benchmark.
8. A significant number of hearing referrals are due to a shortfall in days - she suggested applying with a buffer to account for 'forgetting' days.
9. Hearings can be difficult - CJ must follow the law. Often the applicant will beg, plead to be passed but following the law especially for language competency is core to the CJ and integrity of the office.
10. Frequency of testing has increased
11. Frequency of oaths set to increase

The set up really did not allow quality questioning. Ideally each person asking a question should have got 1 or max 2 questions. Many came to ask multiple questions related to their file. Each file specific to circumstances. Not entirely unexpected as this was more of an information session as opposed to a moderated forum.
thanks a lots for sharing, even tho its only for Calgary area applicants

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Msafiri said:
Some feedback from the CJ session:

1. Impressive theater and ideal for oath ceremonies.
2. 30-40 attendees.
3. Most of the session was about eligibility and the application process including changes in Bill C24 - these are well known already.
4. Intent to reside issue not resolved - how to define intention, what changes it, how it changes etc. IMHO case law will be the definitive answer to this.
5. Physical presence clause will kick in Summer 2015 - no actual date. 2 school of thoughts is my view - one a high profile cut off date of July 1 or go with the timeline to recent change to a 1 stop process of August 1.
6. No actual YYC citizenship inventory numbers, CIC staff numbers and output target provided so no definitive clarity on when processing times will decrease. CJ did state there was a significant increase in staffing in the last year. Logical that its linked to the fee increase. Also that target remains 1 year processing timeline by next year - this is driven by politics to a great extent as Feds are committed to this (read pre-elections).
7. RQ processing timelines still an issue - no max given but as per forum the WOM route and case law indicates the 36 month timeline a benchmark.
8. CJ confirmed focus is clearing out/completing 'routine applicants' so RQ average timeline I expect not to change much until the total citizenship inventory drops...obvious point is when 4 yr physical presence clause commences. Message is you don't want to get an RQ but the latest version of the application form helps with this by requesting more documentary evidence of residence.
9. A significant number of hearing referrals are due to a shortfall in days - she suggested applying with a buffer to account for 'forgetting' days.
10. Hearings can be difficult - CJ must follow the law. Often the applicant will beg, plead to be passed but following the law especially for language competency is core to the CJ and integrity of the office.
11. Frequency of testing has increased
12. Frequency of oaths set to increase

The set up really did not allow quality questioning. Ideally each person asking a question should have got 1 or max 2 questions. Many came to ask multiple questions related to their file. Each file specific to circumstances. Not entirely unexpected as this was more of an information session as opposed to a moderated forum.
Thank you so much Msafiri for sharing this valuable info . Much appreciated !

Was the issue of processing times disparity between Calgary and some other offices discussed either by the judge or participants ?

ardmsseeker

Sep 8, 2014
Can anyone know ,where i send fax for urgent processing of my oath if not then delay till next year .Can anyone let me know where i fax my hand written application with my sign or i will mail or give application directly to their office .Let me know plzz ,thanks

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informatics said:
Thank you so much Msafiri for sharing this valuable info . Much appreciated !

Was the issue of processing times disparity between Calgary and some other offices discussed either by the judge or participants ?
Someone did raise the issue, but the judge is a very nice soft spoken lady. She was very admittive of the set backs the CIC and particularly Calgary CIC has. So she did agree but that's all she was able to do. She, from my understanding, is not on process-wise decision making role. So this question was addressed and that's all about it, not sure if it will make an effect on CIC process decision makers who, metphorically speaking, sit on a high hill far far away from hearing the realities and applicant's reasonable proposals and recommendations.

Msafiri gave a vivid and good brief of what the gist of this meeting was. I would like to add on my observations, if I may.

1. This is not a CIC initiative. The Calgary Public Library's diversity wing wanted to conduct an event on their purpose and requested Ms. Way if she could come and do a presentation on a topic. Ms. Way apparently accepted and evidently was present there to have a conversation with us. This is my opinion from what the library staffs spoke during the thanking speech for Ms. Way.

2. The citizenship judge was a very civil and polite lady as mentioned above. But that's all about it. I had a mild frustration that CIC personnels have no idea of how overbearing the citizenship processing is on many of our lives. The judge was oblivious that Calgary CIC was lagging behind big time when compared to central provinces and even western provinces. My belief is that the judges have no clue of how many months the central provinces take to process applications which is less than one-quarter of the timespan they mentioned for Calgary, which now sits at roughly 2 years for a ROUTINE APPLICATION (from their own words)!

3. Partly the problem I see here, the judges are commissioned by minister of citizenship and immigration. That means, in lay man's terms, they are simply put contractors for a specific period of time. These people are selected based on their academic achievements and noble influence on their communities. Ms.Way's contract period ends this month, something I read somewhere but not entirely sure if it is true. I find it deeply troubling when the CIC calls them judges, while it is evident many of them do not have a law degree or legal related careers.

4. With all due respect and not to sound offensive, yesterday's presentation only supported my statement even further being a testimony in by itself. The judge had trouble granting someone citizenship because they had trouble speaking English. I find it really very hard to comprehend that someone gets denied because they dont speak the language quite well. That's a huge blow for a small setback. A professional from legal services who would approach this case from law's perspective, in my opinion, might not appraoch this decision this way. Because granting citizenship must not be conditional on language expertise what-so-ever, rather based on the person's criminal background, past history on whether there is a participation on any combative actions, and residency in Canada. Language requirement is only a criteria pushed hard by the current administration due to their ideologies. At the same time I am not saying to grant citizenship to people who dont know a word of English. Rather the remdiative way would be to have them show proof that they have reasonable interest in learning the language by reappearing in front of the judge after taking ESL or any other basic English course.

5. Honestly if I want a citizen who has a crime-free background or a well fluent citizen with a problematic past, I would rather choose the first option. I would ideally want citizens who has a crime-free background AND well fluent. But I see the lack of understanding in the current decision making process, where with the first option the skills lagged behind can be harnessed and developed further, whereas with the second option there is no easy way of harnessing except for penitence and remorse.

6. Again, very misleading when the profile pages of these judges on the CIC site show them appearing with a judge's attire. I have a real hard time in ignoring the fact that CIC is pushing adherence to decision by these decision makers (and not Judges). The correct term should have been decision makers. With a judge there is always the appreciation that all the perspectives have been taken into conideration when a ruling (which only a real judge could make) is made and all provisions of all legal books have been applied. The applicants who received a decision, be it favorable or unfavorable, has a right to expect that the decision indeed was lawfully well thought. But many of the decisions made in citizenship applications were turned over by a real judge, that should be also considered.

Sorry about the long rant but these were some of my thoughts.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Thanks Msafiri and thanks CanuckForEver for the feedback.

Interesting that the judge seemed unaware of the difference in processing times between offices.

CanuckForEver I would disagree with you about your opinion about the necessity of speaking English (or French) to a good standard before being granted Canadian Citizenship. The current standards rather than being too strict are really far too low. I regularly come into contact with Canadians who struggle to make themselves properly understood, find it very difficult to become part of the community and can't progress career wise because their English is not good enough. Canada and those individuals would benefit if their English ability was much higher.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
CanuckForEver said:
Someone did raise the issue, but the judge is a very nice soft spoken lady. She was very admittive of the set backs the CIC and particularly Calgary CIC has. So she did agree but that's all she was able to do. She, from my understanding, is not on process-wise decision making role. So this question was addressed and that's all about it, not sure if it will make an effect on CIC process decision makers who, metphorically speaking, sit on a high hill far far away from hearing the realities and applicant's reasonable proposals and recommendations.

Msafiri gave a vivid and good brief of what the gist of this meeting was. I would like to add on my observations, if I may.

1. This is not a CIC initiative. The Calgary Public Library's diversity wing wanted to conduct an event on their purpose and requested Ms. Way if she could come and do a presentation on a topic. Ms. Way apparently accepted and evidently was present there to have a conversation with us. This is my opinion from what the library staffs spoke during the thanking speech for Ms. Way.

2. The citizenship judge was a very civil and polite lady as mentioned above. But that's all about it. I had a mild frustration that CIC personnels have no idea of how overbearing the citizenship processing is on many of our lives. The judge was oblivious that Calgary CIC was lagging behind big time when compared to central provinces and even western provinces. My belief is that the judges have no clue of how many months the central provinces take to process applications which is less than one-quarter of the timespan they mentioned for Calgary, which now sits at roughly 2 years for a ROUTINE APPLICATION (from their own words)!

3. Partly the problem I see here, the judges are commissioned by minister of citizenship and immigration. That means, in lay man's terms, they are simply put contractors for a specific period of time. These people are selected based on their academic achievements and noble influence on their communities. Ms.Way's contract period ends this month, something I read somewhere but not entirely sure if it is true. I find it deeply troubling when the CIC calls them judges, while it is evident many of them do not have a law degree or legal related careers.

4. With all due respect and not to sound offensive, yesterday's presentation only supported my statement even further being a testimony in by itself. The judge had trouble granting someone citizenship because they had trouble speaking English. I find it really very hard to comprehend that someone gets denied because they dont speak the language quite well. That's a huge blow for a small setback. A professional from legal services who would approach this case from law's perspective, in my opinion, might not appraoch this decision this way. Because granting citizenship must not be conditional on language expertise what-so-ever, rather based on the person's criminal background, past history on whether there is a participation on any combative actions, and residency in Canada. Language requirement is only a criteria pushed hard by the current administration due to their ideologies. At the same time I am not saying to grant citizenship to people who dont know a word of English. Rather the remdiative way would be to have them show proof that they have reasonable interest in learning the language by reappearing in front of the judge after taking ESL or any other basic English course.

5. Honestly if I want a citizen who has a crime-free background or a well fluent citizen with a problematic past, I would rather choose the first option. I would ideally want citizens who has a crime-free background AND well fluent. But I see the lack of understanding in the current decision making process, where with the first option the skills lagged behind can be harnessed and developed further, whereas with the second option there is no easy way of harnessing except for penitence and remorse.

6. Again, very misleading when the profile pages of these judges on the CIC site show them appearing with a judge's attire. I have a real hard time in ignoring the fact that CIC is pushing adherence to decision by these decision makers (and not Judges). The correct term should have been decision makers. With a judge there is always the appreciation that all the perspectives have been taken into conideration when a ruling (which only a real judge could make) is made and all provisions of all legal books have been applied. The applicants who received a decision, be it favorable or unfavorable, has a right to expect that the decision indeed was lawfully well thought. But many of the decisions made in citizenship applications were turned over by a real judge, that should be also considered.

With all due respect to your musings on the linguistic aspect, I fully support the CIC on the tacit unwillingness to grant the citizenship to those who don't speak one of the official languages of this country. Such individuals would have an ample opportunity to learn the language during the qualifying three year period preceding the application, and should they choose not to they should be prepared to be refused.

Eminem slim shady

Aug 2, 2014
CanuckForEver said:

LOL, its understandable that you and many others including me are frustrated with CIC dragging its feat to process Calgary Applications. But you are wrong on so many levels in your analysis of this issue here. Every immigrant seeking to attain citizenship should MEET OR EXCEED EVERY SINGLE CRITERIA REQUIRED TO THE LETTER. Language is extremely important, infact I think they should raise the bar on that one amongst other things. So many people cant communicate in English or French and its frustrating to try and explain yourself in that very language that most don't care to learn. Its critical and should be the central aspect. Most countries do so, including third world countries too.

Another thing, the citizenship judge in Calgary, she has a qualification in Pure Mathematics! She is a genius and has earned her stripes and is the very lady whom if you are eligible, will swear you in for your oath. So I ask you to have more respect for her and other judges since they are very qualified people who have involved themselves deeply in their communities and have used their prowess and skills to bring good to our communities. It is a part time job too, so really, she doesn't need to do this, but she is coz she wants you to realise your dream of becoming a Canadian citizen. Now, not everything needs to go through the judicial process buddy. Can you just imagine if every single process in life needed a judges approval? There are competent, qualified and capable individuals out there, I would like to think yourself too, who can make high profile decisions in various aspects in various fields. Most people have qualifications equivalent to a judges or just slightly less, but this country doesn't need a man or woman in a robe to always decide applications and processes . Its expensive, unnecessary and time consuming. A judge is supposed to resolve disputes mainly and that's it.

I think people need to start being more proactive with their applications. Its time to write endless letters to our MPs, the NDP, the Liberal, even Prime minister Harper who represents us as well(Heritage area SW) and DEMAND DUE PROCESS AND TIMELY CONCLUSION TO OUR APPLICATIONS. Engage CBC go public, engage with Eastern Canadas MPs, mayors as well and bring attention to this situation here. Noone is nor should be asking to have applications processed overnight, but demand reasonable processing times for applications and immediate action on those applications left to decay months after official processing times have been exceeded. We should engage the mayors,the lawyers and would be nice to do a fundraiser for those applicants who have a chance of succeeding if filed for manandus or what ever its called. Its time to take legal actions and continue to force these issues through by all legal , respectful and moral means. One should be granted citizenship if they meet the criteria and denied if they don't in REASONABLE TIME FRAME and that should be the message . We should also quote like minded countries such as the UK, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, USA and hammer the message through. Its time we take matters into our own hands. CIC has been given every last straw of patience, but they have no doubt successfully disappointed us. Lets take the fight to the top. Remember the democracy we enjoy today and take for granted was once fought for by someone who had a banner and yelling at their top of their voices and against all odds, all adversaries. We should do the same.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Eminem slim shady said:
LOL, its understandable that you and many others including me are frustrated with CIC dragging its feat to process Calgary Applications. But you are wrong on so many levels in your analysis of this issue here. Every immigrant seeking to attain citizenship should MEET OR EXCEED EVERY SINGLE CRITERIA REQUIRED TO THE LETTER. Language is extremely important, infact I think they should raise the bar on that one amongst other things. So many people cant communicate in English or French and its frustrating to try and explain yourself in that very language that most don't care to learn. Its critical and should be the central aspect. Most countries do so, including third world countries too.

Another thing, the citizenship judge in Calgary, she has a qualification in Pure Mathematics! She is a genius and has earned her stripes and is the very lady whom if you are eligible, will swear you in for your oath. So I ask you to have more respect for her and other judges since they are very qualified people who have involved themselves deeply in their communities and have used their prowess and skills to bring good to our communities. It is a part time job too, so really, she doesn't need to do this, but she is coz she wants you to realise your dream of becoming a Canadian citizen. Now, not everything needs to go through the judicial process buddy. Can you just imagine if every single process in life needed a judges approval? There are competent, qualified and capable individuals out there, I would like to think yourself too, who can make high profile decisions in various aspects in various fields. Most people have qualifications equivalent to a judges or just slightly less, but this country doesn't need a man or woman in a robe to always decide applications and processes . Its expensive, unnecessary and time consuming. A judge is supposed to resolve disputes mainly and that's it.

I think people need to start being more proactive with their applications. Its time to write endless letters to our MPs, the NDP, the Liberal, even Prime minister Harper who represents us as well(Heritage area SW) and DEMAND DUE PROCESS AND TIMELY CONCLUSION TO OUR APPLICATIONS. Engage CBC go public, engage with Eastern Canadas MPs, mayors as well and bring attention to this situation here. Noone is nor should be asking to have applications processed overnight, but demand reasonable processing times for applications and immediate action on those applications left to decay months after official processing times have been exceeded. We should engage the mayors,the lawyers and would be nice to do a fundraiser for those applicants who have a chance of succeeding if filed for manandus or what ever its called. Its time to take legal actions and continue to force these issues through by all legal , respectful and moral means. One should be granted citizenship if they meet the criteria and denied if they don't in REASONABLE TIME FRAME and that should be the message . We should also quote like minded countries such as the UK, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, USA and hammer the message through. Its time we take matters into our own hands. CIC has been given every last straw of patience, but they have no doubt successfully disappointed us. Lets take the fight to the top. Remember the democracy we enjoy today and take for granted was once fought for by someone who had a banner and yelling at their top of their voices and against all odds, all adversaries. We should do the same.
You must have spent good 30 minutes, at least, writing this. What's your point ? for I am not alone, I bet, missing it.

Eminem slim shady

Aug 2, 2014
RussCan said:
You must have spent good 30 minutes, at least, writing this. What's your point ? for I am not alone, I bet, missing it.
Took me 5 minutes, im a fast typer. If you are missing my point that's just too bad. Its right in front of you for your own information.Instead of being saracastic Mr 200k, contribute something to this forum for once.

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
shozee said:
What is ATIP?
access to information and privacy . it is the report that tells you any comments on your immigration as entered by the immigration officers as they review your case.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
wsm_al, is you application a family one? Keep an eye out for the next two weeks. Hopefully you should hear something.

Shozee, have no idea whats happening with your application. Its really hard to predict CIC Calgary.

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
a.R. said:
wsm_al, is you application a family one? Keep an eye out for the next two weeks. Hopefully you should hear something.

Shozee, have no idea whats happening with your application. Its really hard to predict CIC Calgary.
no mine is single. I will keep my eyes open :))
Thank you my friend!!

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So basically there was no clarification from CJ in regards to Calgary s delay.