+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Normal Processing Times from Calgary office?

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
a.R. said:
That's a good idea.

Lets start a petition. Has anyone on this thread done a petition before?
A.R,
I realized someone else had started a petition on this very subject few weeks back. However it didn't get much support so far(I believe due to very limited number of Calgary/Alberta applicants in this forum)
We could get some article published in a mass media, I believe it can get more attention. After all, we are not trying to challenge the government or CIC. I guess we are trying to draw attention to an administration issue.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
AlexRox said:
A.R,
I realized someone else had started a petition on this very subject few weeks back. However it didn't get much support so far(I believe due to very limited number of Calgary/Alberta applicants in this forum)
We could get some article published in a mass media, I believe it can get more attention. After all, we are not trying to challenge the government or CIC. I guess we are trying to draw attention to an administration issue.
Sure thing. But how do we get something published, or get attention of the mass media? Any suggestions?

Canuto

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE 2012
Try CBC Fifth estate:

If you have a story idea, or would like to send a comment, please email at: fifth@cbc.ca

Mailing Address:
the fifth estate
P.O. Box 500, Stn. "A"
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1E6

Telephone: 416-205-6663
Fax: (416) 205-6668

I also support your movement and hope this helps!

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canuto said:
Try CBC Fifth estate:

If you have a story idea, or would like to send a comment, please email at: fifth @ cbc.ca

Mailing Address:
the fifth estate
P.O. Box 500, Stn. "A"
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1E6

Telephone: 416-205-6663
Fax: (416) 205-6668

I also support your movement and hope this helps!
Thank you. Calgary applicants must together have some sorts of courage to question CIC Calgary and federal government. If nobody stands up, nothing changes.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
civic said:
Thank you. Calgary applicants must together have some sorts of courage to question CIC Calgary and federal government. If nobody stands up, nothing changes.
Yes, I agree. Also we could optionally create a internet based group for any communication ( such as yahoo groups).
If you don't mind you may share what you are going to write to the MP (excluding ALL your personal details) ?
Then we could use that as a starting point for any media and also would help people like me who has never contacted politicians before (even in my home country ) :)
Thanks

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AlexRox said:
Yes, I agree. Also we could optionally create a internet based group for any communication ( such as yahoo groups).
If you don't mind you may share what you are going to write to the MP (excluding ALL your personal details) ?
Then we could use that as a starting point for any media and also would help people like me who has never contacted politicians before (even in my home country ) :)
Thanks
I used this template. I produced this based on the petition I signed.

Dear MP.XXX of Calgary Northwest :

My name is ___________. I am your constituent. I am in a group of people that have been severely affected by the delays and inconsistent timeline in processing time. We are from Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver, and anywhere else, that are deeply concerned about how CIC process our citizenship applications.

Delays in application processing, which range from 24 to 36 months, have left hundreds-thousand individuals waiting in limbo to take the final step in their journey to becoming Canadian. Since 2006, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) says that an increase in Canadian permanent residents has led to a 30% increase in demand for Canadian citizenship. Without sufficient resources to process this growing demand, significant backlogs have formed. While the government is taking steps to ensure that processing times are reduced, change has been slow for those already waiting in the queue. In June 2014, the Government of Canada passed Bill C-24, Citizenship Act Reforms.

The recent issues with citizenship application not only about delays, but also the huge gaps, or inconsistencies, in processing time and processing methods for different geographical areas in Canada. For examples, most applicants living in Atlantic provinces and Ontario enjoy a much faster processing timeline for citizenship test invitations and oath ceremony, upon their files received at CIC local offices. It's been widely witnessed that most routine applicants in these areas finish the whole process in 6 to 12 months; whereas, in most Western cities such as Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina and Vancouver, the timeline for test invitations ranges from 12 months to 18 months, followed by an unpredictable number of months for oath calls.

We demand that all people living in Canada applying for citizenship be treated by government with due diligence on equality basis. It is undeniable that people living in all geographical areas of Canada, who are qualified for citizenship grants, have fulfilled their rights and responsibilities as Canadian residents, have paid the same percentage of tax as set out by government, have paid the same amount of application fees and all live within Canadian legal system.

We demand the Government of Canada and Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada to adequately investigate and address this issue in a timely manner, by:
• Adopt a one-line processing standards so applicants from all across Canada will be processed on first-come-first-served basis, by centralizing processing at one CIC office. Local offices will only need to host citizenship tests and oath ceremonies. This model is widely seen in USA, Australia, New Zealand, and most of European states.
• Re-distribute financial and manpower resources to the cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver to rectify severe backlog issues at these offices immediately.
• Re-design citizenship grant processing model so that further backlog will not occur and the existing inventory be cleared as soon as possible.
• Implement changes that was adopted by Bill C-24, as promised, to bring the processing time down to under one year for all citizenship applicants nationwide.

I hope that you will set up a personal meeting with me at your Calgary office so I can address these issues with you more clearly and so you can help me address this to the federal government. I can be reached at (403)XXX-XXXX or via email.

Thank you,

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary, let's all set up appointments with MPs. They are returning to Parliament in September.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
civic said:

My name is ___________. I am your constituent. I am in a group of people that have been severely affected by the delays and inconsistent timeline in processing time. We are from Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver, and anywhere else, that are deeply concerned about how CIC process our citizenship applications.

Delays in application processing, which range from 24 to 36 months, have left hundreds-thousand individuals waiting in limbo to take the final step in their journey to becoming Canadian. Since 2006, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) says that an increase in Canadian permanent residents has led to a 30% increase in demand for Canadian citizenship. Without sufficient resources to process this growing demand, significant backlogs have formed. While the government is taking steps to ensure that processing times are reduced, change has been slow for those already waiting in the queue. In June 2014, the Government of Canada passed Bill C-24, Citizenship Act Reforms.

The recent issues with citizenship application not only about delays, but also the huge gaps, or inconsistencies, in processing time and processing methods for different geographical areas in Canada. For examples, most applicants living in Atlantic provinces and Ontario enjoy a much faster processing timeline for citizenship test invitations and oath ceremony, upon their files received at CIC local offices. It's been widely witnessed that most routine applicants in these areas finish the whole process in 6 to 12 months; whereas, in most Western cities such as Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina and Vancouver, the timeline for test invitations ranges from 12 months to 18 months, followed by an unpredictable number of months for oath calls.

We demand that all people living in Canada applying for citizenship be treated by government with due diligence on equality basis. It is undeniable that people living in all geographical areas of Canada, who are qualified for citizenship grants, have fulfilled their rights and responsibilities as Canadian residents, have paid the same percentage of tax as set out by government, have paid the same amount of application fees and all live within Canadian legal system.

We demand the Government of Canada and Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada to adequately investigate and address this issue in a timely manner, by:
• Adopt a one-line processing standards so applicants from all across Canada will be processed on first-come-first-served basis, by centralizing processing at one CIC office. Local offices will only need to host citizenship tests and oath ceremonies. This model is widely seen in USA, Australia, New Zealand, and most of European states.
• Re-distribute financial and manpower resources to the cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver to rectify severe backlog issues at these offices immediately.
• Re-design citizenship grant processing model so that further backlog will not occur and the existing inventory be cleared as soon as possible.
• Implement changes that was adopted by Bill C-24, as promised, to bring the processing time down to under one year for all citizenship applicants nationwide.

I hope that you will set up a personal meeting with me at your Calgary office so I can address these issues with you more clearly and so you can help me address this to the federal government. I can be reached at (403)XXX-XXXX or via email.

Thank you,
Thanks a lot Civic. I think Vancouver is not slow anymore, but Surrey is. Someone from Surrey can confirm.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
civic said:

Thank you,
Thanks a lot civic, I still believe a collective effort will be better than all of us individually raising this issue with our respective MP's. That's was one of the reasons i was more inclined towards a petition. Is there anyway that we can raise this issue collectively??

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a.R. said:
Thanks a lot civic, I still believe a collective effort will be better than all of us individually raising this issue with our respective MP's. That's was one of the reasons i was more inclined towards a petition. Is there anyway that we can raise this issue collectively??
While other methods can be effective, MPs are official channel of communication to federal ministry like CIC and should be our first points of contact. We should be reminded though, that 99% MPs in Calgary are Conservatives and might not so helpful when the proposal attacks their government. But some of them do listen and do understand as they were elected to work FOR US. MPs should represent Calgary in Ottawa, not the other way around.

Eminem slim shady

Aug 2, 2014
Hie everyone, How are you all doing today? im brand new to this forum and its nice to be part of a platform where we share one goal, CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP.

mY APP. was received on Feb 10 2014, and in processing was started on March 28th. I am a single applicant, clean criminal record, clean as a whistle actually, only travelled twice in the last 4 yrs to my home town, No RQ so far, I don't expect one, I lived at the same add for an entire 5 yrs before applying for Canadian citizenship and I have been employed by the same employer as well to this day. Just survived a recent layoff, pheeeeeew! Calgary economy isn't doing as great as the media would like to admit frankly, but anyway, im waiting for a test date. ANy similar experiances? I know the one decision making model came into effect on the 1st of August and judging by the number of oath ceremonies, Calgary seems to be moving quite aheard unbelievably so_Oaths are already dated for October this year, meaning and hopefully, those that applied in 2013 should receive oaths (if eligible) as the days go by until oath dates are in 2015. I now wonder,if Calgary cic is accepting 2014 applications? I called cic back in JUNE and was told my application was "PENDING"! Im wondering, does that mean its in Sydney or Calgary awaiting allocation? Does my application risk being lost? Sorry for the numerous questions, just anxious to have this done once and for all. Thanks all, all your comments are appreciated and lets keep the FLAMES burning.

Eminem slim shady

Aug 2, 2014
civic said:

Thank you,
Love the enthusiasm, surely this will get us somewhere. I strongly suggest we definitely GO PUBLIC with CBC and also include Mayor Nenshi in this. Even though Mayors have no legal authority over citizenship administration, I think its best to include EVERY HIGH profile individual in Calgary to help advance out cause. CIC has become a third world type immigration department, with NO TRANSPARENCY,NO REASONABLE TIME FRAMES, THE DUE PROCESS IS BY LUCK, AND THERE IS A HUGE LACK OF SERIOUSNESS FROM MINISTER ALEXANDER TO ADRESS THE ISSUES HERE. HAS he ever been here to see the shambolic state of CIC here and Edmonton? Jason kenney did absolutely nothing himself. What surprises me is that even CIC has a citizenship commission, in charge of making sure the programme works. You are telling me this the best they can do? ALL those years in prep school, degrees, PhDs and landing a job like that, this is the best they can deliver? This petition needs to be more than just a petition, it needs to be lightning and thunder. GO PUBLIC, CONTACT, THE MAYOR OF CALGARY, LETS COURT THE OPPOSITION POLITICAL PARTIES, INCLUDING WILD ROSE, THE MEDIA, THE GOVERNOR GENERAL,THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, ALBERTA LEGISLATURE...MY POINT IS IF WE REALLY WANT THIS TO HAVE AN IMPACT , WE GOTTA GET THE SUPPORT OF A LOT OF HIGH PROFILE PEOPLE WHO HAVE STRONGER COMMUNICATION LINES WITH THE TORIES IN OTTAWA. HECK, EVEN PRIME MINISTER HARPER AS WELL. LETS CREATE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS AND SEND THE MESSAGE THAT ALBERTA ECONOMY NEEDS CANADIAN CITIZENS FIRST AND FOREMOST AND WE DESERVE DUE PROCESS FOR OUR APPLICATIONS FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eminem slim shady said:
Love the enthusiasm, surely this will get us somewhere. I strongly suggest we definitely GO PUBLIC with CBC and also include Mayor Nenshi in this. Even though Mayors have no legal authority over citizenship administration, I think its best to include EVERY HIGH profile individual in Calgary to help advance out cause. CIC has become a third world type immigration department, with NO TRANSPARENCY,NO REASONABLE TIME FRAMES, THE DUE PROCESS IS BY LUCK, AND THERE IS A HUGE LACK OF SERIOUSNESS FROM MINISTER ALEXANDER TO ADRESS THE ISSUES HERE. HAS he ever been here to see the shambolic state of CIC here and Edmonton? Jason kenney did absolutely nothing himself. What surprises me is that even CIC has a citizenship commission, in charge of making sure the programme works. You are telling me this the best they can do? ALL those years in prep school, degrees, PhDs and landing a job like that, this is the best they can deliver? This petition needs to be more than just a petition, it needs to be lightning and thunder. GO PUBLIC, CONTACT, THE MAYOR OF CALGARY, LETS COURT THE OPPOSITION POLITICAL PARTIES, INCLUDING WILD ROSE, THE MEDIA, THE GOVERNOR GENERAL,THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, ALBERTA LEGISLATURE...MY POINT IS IF WE REALLY WANT THIS TO HAVE AN IMPACT , WE GOTTA GET THE SUPPORT OF A LOT OF HIGH PROFILE PEOPLE WHO HAVE STRONGER COMMUNICATION LINES WITH THE TORIES IN OTTAWA. HECK, EVEN PRIME MINISTER HARPER AS WELL. LETS CREATE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS AND SEND THE MESSAGE THAT ALBERTA ECONOMY NEEDS CANADIAN CITIZENS FIRST AND FOREMOST AND WE DESERVE DUE PROCESS FOR OUR APPLICATIONS FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP.
Very well said. Lets begin with MP campaign first and send this to whoever we can think of, Nenshi, Alberta premier, local media, so we can make our Alberta fellows aware of this. Alberta is being treated so unfair by CIC. Number one economy in Canada, the tax money generator and its own citizens can't even naturalize smoothly like other parts of Canada.