+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No ! You dont need PRTD. you can travel with your work permit

Nishmaha

Star Member
May 22, 2020
NO YOU DONT NEED PRTD ! YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH WORK PERMIT IF YOU BECAME PERMANENT RESIDENT WHEN YOU ARE AWAY FROM CANADA.

Hi, I was on work permit, and I received PR Card, But I had to leave Canada and came back after one month,
Note: I was asked not to leave canada until i get my PR card, If I left Canada and I became a PR, I was told my work permits would become invalid and void and I would need PRTD to enter back Canada.
But Thankfully I got my PR card just before my Travel,
So In order to Test this crazy confusions, I tested it out !!

While returning, I showed them my work permit instead of my PR card,
The immigration officer at Toronto airport, let me in without any questions asked.

Everything that people tell are not True !!!!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
NO YOU DONT NEED PRTD ! YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH WORK PERMIT IF YOU BECAME PERMANENT RESIDENT WHEN YOU ARE AWAY FROM CANADA.

Hi, I was on work permit, and I received PR Card, But I had to leave Canada and came back after one month,
Note: I was asked not to leave canada until i get my PR card, If I left Canada and I became a PR, I was told my work permits would become invalid and void and I would need PRTD to enter back Canada.

The immigration officer at Toronto airport, let me in without any questions asked.

WP is void, Legalfalcon's take here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/thank-you-legalfalcon.408185/post-9826851

The comment here by another member provides a lot more helpful info here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/no-you-dont-need-prtd-you-can-travel-with-your-work-permit.802311/post-10477685

At the end, no PR card and no PRTD means no travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

You're being clever, but you're only telling us what happened at the Toronto airport. What happened before that? If you showed the airline check-in counter your work permit, I'll be impressed by your story.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

That's CBSA, NOT the airline. It is a requirement of commercial carriers to have a valid PR Card to return to Canada, unless the PR holds a valid U.S. passport, NOT a requirement of CBSA. Two completely separate pieces to the same puzzle.

Last edited:

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
That's CBSA, NOT the airline. It is a requirement of commercial carriers to have a valid PR Card to return to Canada, NOT a requirement of CBSA. Two completely separate pieces to the same puzzle.
The post says "you can travel with your work permit" - in this case, wasn't the WP void?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
The post says "you can travel with your work permit" - in this case, wasn't the WP void?
That's why I suspect the OP is being selective about the details they're choosing to share. Also if they had a PR card they could have used the kiosk. For all I know, they had the kiosk receipt and "waved" their work permit together with the receipt to the CBSA officer at Pearson. :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The CBSA officer that the OP encountered could easily have seen that the OP was in fact a PR. Even without producing a valid PR Card a PR can enter Canada. All that needs to happen is for the CBSA officer to `see' that they have PR status and it has not been revoked or renounced.

The commercial carrier is the real issue.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
The CBSA officer that the OP encountered could easily have seen that the OP was in fact a PR. Even without producing a valid PR Card a PR can enter Canada. All that needs to happen is for the CBSA officer to `see' that they have PR status and it has not been revoked or renounced.

The commercial carrier is the real issue.
Thanks! That's very helpful to know.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's why I suspect the OP is being selective about the details they're choosing to share. Also if they had a PR card they could have used the kiosk. For all I know, they had the kiosk receipt and "waved" their work permit together with the receipt to the CBSA officer at Pearson. :)
Once a person becomes a PR, they have to scan their PR Card at the PIK (Kiosk), even if they only have an expired card. Scanning a foreign passport does NOT work, so I really don't know how the OP got past the PIK.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Once a person becomes a PR, they have to scan their PR Card at the PIK (Kiosk), even if they only have an expired card. Scanning a foreign passport does NOT work, so I really don't know how the OP got past the PIK.
Do correct me if I'm wrong--could OP have chosen to skip the PIKs and gone to the inspection queue with everyone else for their own useless exercise? If my own assumption/expectation is correct, the CBSA officer would still find their UCI in the work permit, confirmed they were a PR, and let them through.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do correct me if I'm wrong--could OP have chosen to skip the PIKs and gone to the inspection queue with everyone else for their own useless exercise? If my own assumption/expectation is correct, the CBSA officer would still find their UCI in the work permit, confirmed they were a PR, and let them through.
Yes. I was merely replying to your prior post regarding the use of the PIK.

FWIW, scanning an expired PR Card `works', meaning that the PIK will print a receipt, but you'd be pretty much guaranteed to go to Secondary Inspection afterwards (to explain why your card is expired).