+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Likewise, I've read many of these comments of people who have filed after me that are receiving these citizenship oath invites virtually. I passed my test 20/20 in December.
When did you actually submit your citizenship application ??

Wondering, did you send any webform to IRCC concerning above delay; and did you get any reply?

Last edited:

Mike 77

Jul 4, 2020
Hello, I need your opinion. I was supposed to take the oath on March 25, in Edmonton. Now I'm waiting for the invitation to the virtual oath ceremony. In the meantime I have moved from Edmonton to Calgary, what do you think, is it better to keep my old address in my ECAS (in Edmonton), announcing this change on the occasion of the oath, or to adapt the current address, risking to have a longer waiting time? Thank You!

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hello, I need your opinion. I was supposed to take the oath on March 25, in Edmonton. Now I'm waiting for the invitation to the virtual oath ceremony. In the meantime I have moved from Edmonton to Calgary, what do you think, is it better to keep my old address in my ECAS (in Edmonton), announcing this change on the occasion of the oath, or to adapt the current address, risking to have a longer waiting time? Thank You!
@Mike 77 Address needs to be updated (contact ircc thru webform). It doesn't impact on your processing time as long as you move to a new address within the same province. It does affect the processing time, if you move or relocate to another province as your file would need to be transferred to that province's local ircc office.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Mike 77

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
If it makes the people in here waiting for the oath invite feel any better, I still did not even receive a test invite since Oct 2017 (my application date.) And now because of the ongoing Covid situation, my lawyer can't even file a complaint nor proceed with writ of mandamus. So in case you are frustrated for not receiving an oath invite yet, remember there is someone like me in a worst situation than you.

Best of of luck to all.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
If it makes the people in here waiting for the oath invite feel any better, I still did not even receive a test invite since Oct 2017 (my application date.) And now because of the ongoing Covid situation, my lawyer can't even file a complaint nor proceed with writ of mandamus. So in case you are frustrated for not receiving an oath invite yet, remember there is someone like me in a worst situation than you.

Best of of luck to all.
Your case seems to be a non-routine. We're concerned about routine cases, clients who have already passed test/interview and waiting for oath invite.

Last edited:

Alberta30

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
I do feel that soon to-be citizens are impatient and frustrated because they're not getting virtual/video oath invitation as fast as other clients who more or less had applied in the same month of 2019. Although IRCC does give priority to urgent cases, however, it also does give priority to those clients who are (directly or indirectly) associated with essential services, medical, health, hospitals, nursing, caregiver, front-line workers and supporters fighting against current Covid-19 pandemic.

So normal citizenship candidates (neither urgent nor essential services.....) will have to keep waiting for their turn. It is what it is...!!
I am a nurse working frontline Covid19 since February until present, I got DM in early March and still no oath invitation as yet, so I dont buy the essential worker excuse, we are all waiting, I also have a few colleagues who are also waiting, that are essential workers.

Reactions: CitizenOrNot

billcheng

Nov 22, 2019
Test@ Feb 6th, 2020, DM @Feb 13th 2020 in Nova Scotia, no news since then. March 2020 I moved to Ontario, then@June 5th, I told IRCC my new address then they updated in ECAS. I call IRCC July 3rd, they said my file is IN TRANSIT. It is a month passed, my file is still IN TRANSIT, why so long? They said my file will be transferred to Mississauga

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
The problem with forums like this is that a lot of hear-say and individual experiences are being observed, then people start writing about assumptions that "well, since this guy had this happen, then they must have a policy of ...." Reality is that none of us know what is going on internally at IRCC, they are pulling citizenship candidates quite randomly for virtual oaths, and it has no relationship to how essential or non-essential someone's work is. It also doesn't matter when someone has submitted an application and how long they are waiting, I've read numerous reports of people who filed many, many months after me already being processed. It is NOT first come, first serve. It IS random.

I still think the best course of action for IRCC to take is to ditch these virtual ceremony experiments and resume some sort of socially-distanced in person ceremony where all the COVID best practices are followed. We could go from hundreds being complete to thousands daily being completed if they made this decision.

We're at a stage now with COVID where we know if you just provide ample sanitization, masks, and social distancing that we could resume these ceremonies quite easily, and immediately. They could exclude any non-essential people, such as only allowing citizenship candidates in and avoiding family and friends attending. I personally do not see a point in further delay in resuming in person ceremonies, which is the only real way to clear this backlog of 'citizens who aren't citizens." Once we are taken care of, then they can figure out how they want to proceed with the backlogged new applicants and those in processing that aren't at the test or other stages yet. But they can't focus on that without clearing this important backlog of people who are basically done and approved, but not citizens officially.

I'm not being selfish, its practical for them to make us their #1 priority. They have to start clearing this mess somehow, and clearing us is a start. I understand COVID is at play, but that excuse only goes so far. We're month #4 into this and we have a handle on what procedures avoid infection. There's no need for further delay.
Yes, it is true.

Although "over 1,000 virtual oath ceremonies have taken place since April 1" however, I believe there are thousands of citizenship clients waiting to receive video oath invitations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/virtual-citizenship-ceremony-canada-day-1.5634179

Reactions: CitizenOrNot

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Test@ Feb 6th, 2020, DM @Feb 13th 2020 in Nova Scotia, no news since then. March 2020 I moved to Ontario, then@June 5th, I told IRCC my new address then they updated in ECAS. I call IRCC July 3rd, they said my file is IN TRANSIT. It is a month passed, my file is still IN TRANSIT, why so long? They said my file will be transferred to Mississauga
Pathetic. I just had changed address from one city to another in the same province. ircc took 2 months to update it.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I am a nurse working frontline Covid19 since February until present, I got DM in early March and still no oath invitation as yet, so I dont buy the essential worker excuse, we are all waiting, I also have a few colleagues who are also waiting, that are essential workers.
It seems to be sort of randomly inviting the ceremony ready clients for video oaths. It doesn't look like first come, first served and/or essential workers.

Which is why, IRCC didn't explicitly define any criteria for virtual oath ceremonies, except an implicit or vague announcement "We’re now inviting some applicants to do a video oath ceremony....".

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
These observations are directed at the reasoning process . . . how and to what extent we, in the public, can learn about how IRCC processes applications. A narrow aspect of things MOST WILL WANT TO SKIP.

Yes, what we can know is limited. Much of what goes on is confidential. Even more of what goes on is simply obscured in bureaucratic processing. We can learn more about what IRCC is actually doing, in this regard, through the process of making ATI requests (which is different from personal ATIP requests). Which I have done in the past. But that is a labour-intensive and time-consuming project, and can get costly.

The problem with forums like this is that a lot of hear-say and individual experiences are being observed, then people start writing about assumptions that "well, since this guy had this happen, then they must have a policy of ...."
This is FOR SURE. It is an important observation. There is indeed way too much reasoning based on individual experience in this forum.

But a lot of it is personal, direct reporting, NOT "hear-say." Sure, there is cause for cautiously assessing the accuracy of many reports in this forum, but most personal reporting is at least honest and largely accurate, and to a large extent can be compared to other reports, to discern its relative reliability.

But the core problem, as stated, is indeed extrapolating conclusions broader than even a perfectly accurate report supports. What happened to one person is solid evidence that is what CAN HAPPEN, since it is what did happen. Since it is what can happen, it offers SOME, but not a lot of support to the proposition that is what MIGHT HAPPEN to someone else. At least that is what COULD happen. And, indeed, most often it is just ONE example of ONE of the things that MIGHT HAPPEN. DEPENDING.

The more common version of this flawed reasoning is focusing on a few of the same factors and concluding those will lead to the same or very similar outcome. Reasoning in the form "I was X and Y and Z and this happened, so if you are X and Y and Z that will happen for you too." Way, way, way too many other factors in play, and potential variations in outcome, to rely on this.

BUT NONETHELESS, all these ANECDOTAL REPORTS ARE IMPORTANT SOURCES of INFORMATION.

Leading to . . .

Reality is that none of us know what is going on internally at IRCC, they are pulling citizenship candidates quite randomly for virtual oaths, and it has no relationship to how essential or non-essential someone's work is.
One word in this is especially NOT true. "Randomly." Just because we do not know the criteria or the procedure does NOT make it random. IRCC has its processes. No great powers of divination necessary to recognize there are procedures internally at IRCC even if we, in the public, are not acquainted with them.

BUT it is overtly inconsistent to claim we do not know what is going on in IRCC but claim, somehow, we know it is random. Or to claim their process "has no relationship" to this or that. If you do not know, you do NOT KNOW.

But we do know some. Which takes us back to the anecdotal reports as important sources of information. We know, for example, that to the extent the reports themselves are accurate (I believe most of those reporting getting scheduled for a virtual oath here are truthfully reporting this, for example, even if not all are truthful), again, they reflect what CAN happen because they are examples of WHAT HAS HAPPENED. And with multiple reports we can map a PARTIAL picture of what is going on.

And we can turn to media reports, the IRCC information online, what we know about the law and procedures themselves, among other sources of information to help us put as much of the picture into focus as possible.

Historically it has often taken us, in the public, from many months to YEARS to figure out some rather significant changes internally at IRCC/CIC, unless they were clearly publicly announced or were a part of publicly made changes (like the adoption of new legislation). There was a gap in YEARS between CIC implementing a stricter approach to the residency requirement when Harper was PM and this becoming widely understood public knowledge (and even then, for years more there was no shortage of forum participants who did not grasp the change had been made, among whom more than a few persisted in making shortfall, almost sure to fail applications . . . to a large extent because some, an increasingly smaller and smaller number, were making successful shortfall applications).

Even a very formal change in procedure like the adoption of OB 407 in 2012, it took over four months for us in the public to even know such a thing had changed processing citizenship applications dramatically and it took much of another year, and a huge amount of effort digging through ATI requests, to learn much about what it did and how it was applied (and even then, much of it remained behind the curtain of confidentiality).

BUT we can and with some effort we are able to learn quite a lot about what goes on at IRCC internally. With some big gaps. And after some time has past. Which again brings up the anecdotal reports: over time, comparing them to one another, following their development, they are indeed a big piece of the puzzle and will eventually help fill in a significant part of the picture.

SIDE NOTE, in particular, re VIRTUAL OATH and oath ceremonies otherwise: This is probably, very probably, a work-in-progress, still very much in the process of change. IRCC is probably experimenting as much as it is actually making progress. So there are likely to be further, and perhaps some bigger changes taking place before a more complete picture of what is happening now emerges.

It also doesn't matter when someone has submitted an application and how long they are waiting, I've read numerous reports of people who filed many, many months after me already being processed. It is NOT first come, first serve. It IS random.
It almost CERTAINLY does matter when someone submitted their application.

There is a difference between "first come, first serve" in terms of outcome, of completing the whole process. Which NONE of IRCC's application processing is. Even an application for something so common and simple as extended visitor status can encounter different screening after it is initially opened. BUT nonetheless, it readily appears that MOST (not all) TASK items done at an individual officer or agent level are attended to based on order of receipt, based on place in the queue . . . but some are done within minutes of the task being undertaken, and some are deferred or diverted for this or that additional task, leading to variations in overall timeline for those types of applications.

For citizenship applications, for example, part of what we do know about internal procedures is that right off the top, when the applications are first opened, which we can be fairly assured is in the order of their receipt, some go in one direction, others in another, DEPENDING on this or that. So right there, right in the opening-the-file stage, the order in which applications are processed is affected. Similar events occur at various stages of processing. Perhaps the biggest one is the test-and-interview event itself. For sure, in ordinary times (before Covid) some applicants are immediately scheduled for the oath coming out of the interview, while some others go into a path for this or that further screening, and each of those paths tend to have their timelines. And those respective timelines vary significantly from one local office to another.

It is for sure NOT random. (Again, it is inconsistent to claim NOT knowing what the internal process is and at the same time claim to KNOW it is random.)

MORE RE VIRTUAL OATHS:

It is possible, and indeed highly likely, that there are multiple criteria being used to identify WHO is scheduled for a virtual oath. For example, there are undoubtedly SOME urgent processing requests which IRCC has found compelling and is indeed expediting processing, and for such applicants who were already scheduled for an oath ceremony that had been cancelled, or perhaps were just about to be scheduled for the oath, perhaps these individuals are among those getting scheduled sooner. At the same time it appears that many of those who had already been scheduled for the oath are the primary candidates being scheduled for a virtual oath. How IRCC is picking whom is not clear, but again it is almost certainly NOT random.

I have not seen reports of a virtual oath being scheduled for any candidate other than those who were already scheduled but had that ceremony cancelled, but I have not been following all the reports closely. That noted, it appears clear, from a variety of sources of information, that IRCC is making an effort to get back into a more productive mode and increase the numbers taking the oath, and making an effort to adopt some methods for getting back to administering tests, or at least move in that direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike263
May 29, 2019
Hi Guys

I have been member of the march 2019 citizenship application forum

My Timeline

Local office Hamilton ON

Application Recieved 1st march 2019

AOR 2 nd May 2019

In Process 2 nd July 2019

Fingerprints request Nov 9th 2019

Fingerprints Submitted Nov 13th 2019

Test invite Jan 17 2020

Test passed 20/20 on Feb 5th 2020

GCMS applied in March 10th 2020

GCMS recieved in April 14th 2020 confirming file waiting for oath ceremony at local office.

Called call center 2 times since then to confirm about a ceremony. ( was told each time to keep waiting and file is oath ready)

Found out yesterday through sources that people who have submitted months later then me have allready done virtual oaths.

Dont know what should be the next step......
Has your online status changed to Decision Made or is it still In Progress?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
IRCC outlines the priority order on its website,

We’re prioritizing applications from
  • Canadians trying to return to Canada
  • vulnerable people
  • people who perform or support essential services
REF: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html