+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
Hi everybody, happy to report I completed my virtual oath ceremony this morning. Here's my timeline for reference:

June 2019 applicant
AOR: Sept 2019
Test: Dec 2019
Oath invite: Feb 2019
1st Oath: 20 April (cancelled)
2nd Oath: 3 July
Received phone call from IRCC: 22nd June
Email received with oath details: 1 July
Received second phone call from IRCC to confirm logistics: 2nd July

Ceremony lasted around 15 minutes. Organizer, clerk, judge, another IRCC official who stays off camera, and the applicant(s). They ask you to verify your identity (DL, Health card), confirm your location in Canada, show the PR card and read the numbers on the back near the bar code. The judge gives a speech, and proceeds with the oath in both languages. You can then cut up the PR card and sign the oath affirmation form (either physically in front of them or electronically) and email it to them. They will confirm receipt and mail you the certificate between 2-3 weeks. I will report back when I receive it.
Here's hoping you all get some good news soon!
I can answer any Qs any one may have as well (sorry, don't have any info on tests).
Did your ECAS status change after the phone call? I’m just worried what happens if one misses the phone call.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Did your ECAS status change after the phone call? I’m just worried what happens if one misses the phone call.
No update to ECAS since my first oath invite.

I hope they would leave a voicemail if they can’t get through. Either way, the email they send you requires a response and asks that you respond ASAP and confirm you can/cannot attend the ceremony at the specified date and time. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: zam7 and vivi2407

vivi2407

Jul 2, 2020
hi there,
that's good to hear they will also email to confirm because I usually don't pick up scam phones .. was it appeared like cic or ircc phone id or this number 1-888-242-2100?
thank you
congrat :))) anyways

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
hi there,
that's good to hear they will also email to confirm because I usually don't pick up scam phones .. was it appeared like cic or ircc phone id or this number 1-888-242-2100?
thank you
congrat :))) anyways
It was from an unknown number! The person who called me the first time said she was just a scheduler and couldn’t confirm any other details. I even asked for a phone number in case I didn’t receive the email in time, but she said since most of them are working from home, there’s no number apart from the call centre to call. You would have to send a webform for any request.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
I actually would prefer a regular, in person ceremony. Anyone else?
I totally get it! Would be cool and humbling to share something memorable with so many strangers.

I preferred my virtual ceremony today (even though it is more anxiety-inducing) because I felt it was more intimate and personal, the officials were cracking jokes the whole time. Plus I had FaceTimed all my family and friends in the background and they got to watch the whole ceremony, which would not have been possible in-person due to the limit on guests.
To each their own, but I’m just glad IRCC is implementing alternate measures, albeit slowly, so people hopefully won’t have long to wait.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I actually would prefer a regular, in person ceremony. Anyone else?
If so, you should withdraw from your citizenship application and then re-apply once in-person ceremonies are resumed.

Alternatively, a webform could be sent to ircc to hold on your file until in-person ceremonies are returned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salinas_CA

nepscan123

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06/15/2014
AOR Received.
10/21/2014
IELTS Request
with app
File Transfer...
15/12/2014
Med's Request
02-01-2015
Med's Done....
27-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
Soon
Anyone from Calgary received virtual oath ceremony? My oath ceremony was in late March but cancelled due to COVID19.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Anyone from Calgary received virtual oath ceremony? My oath ceremony was in late March but cancelled due to COVID19.
Calgary, AB is pretty fast in virtual oath invitations. June/July 2019 applicants already got/getting it.

When did you submit your citizenship application to CPC ??

Last edited:

nepscan123

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06/15/2014
AOR Received.
10/21/2014
IELTS Request
with app
File Transfer...
15/12/2014
Med's Request
02-01-2015
Med's Done....
27-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
Soon
Calgary, AB is pretty fast in virtual oath invitations. June/July 2019 applicants already got/getting it.

When did you submit your citizenship application to CPC ??
I sent in July 2019 and the test was in Jan 2020 and oath scheduled on Mar 25 2020 but have not heard anything nor any update on ECAS.

Canadiana2001

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi Guys

I have been member of the march 2019 citizenship application forum

My Timeline

Local office Hamilton ON

Application Recieved 1st march 2019

AOR 2 nd May 2019

In Process 2 nd July 2019

Fingerprints request Nov 9th 2019

Fingerprints Submitted Nov 13th 2019

Test invite Jan 17 2020

Test passed 20/20 on Feb 5th 2020

GCMS applied in March 10th 2020

GCMS recieved in April 14th 2020 confirming file waiting for oath ceremony at local office.

Called call center 2 times since then to confirm about a ceremony. ( was told each time to keep waiting and file is oath ready)

Found out yesterday through sources that people who have submitted months later then me have allready done virtual oaths.

Dont know what should be the next step......

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hi Guys

I have been member of the march 2019 citizenship application forum

My Timeline

Local office Hamilton ON

Application Recieved 1st march 2019

AOR 2 nd May 2019

In Process 2 nd July 2019

Fingerprints request Nov 9th 2019

Fingerprints Submitted Nov 13th 2019

Test invite Jan 17 2020

Test passed 20/20 on Feb 5th 2020

GCMS applied in March 10th 2020

GCMS recieved in April 14th 2020 confirming file waiting for oath ceremony at local office.

Called call center 2 times since then to confirm about a ceremony. ( was told each time to keep waiting and file is oath ready)

Found out yesterday through sources that people who have submitted months later then me have allready done virtual oaths.

Dont know what should be the next step......
@Canadiana2001 I'll suggest you should contact IRCC thru webform. It's all up to the case processing officer you have file under. Who will be invited and when it will be, it totally depends on his/her discretion

**IRCC helpline is just there to remind you "keep waiting"........**

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I do feel that soon to-be citizens are impatient and frustrated because they're not getting virtual/video oath invitation as fast as other clients who more or less had applied in the same month of 2019. Although IRCC does give priority to urgent cases, however, it also does give priority to those clients who are (directly or indirectly) associated with essential services, medical, health, hospitals, nursing, caregiver, front-line workers and supporters fighting against current Covid-19 pandemic.

So normal citizenship candidates (neither urgent nor essential services.....) will have to keep waiting for their turn. It is what it is...!!

Reactions: Svet81

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Those of us who are soon to be citizens have a right to be frustrated. It is fully understood that these things are out of people's control. Afterall, who could expect COVID?

But this doesn't describe the journey many of us have been through. My first application for status in Canada was 2007, and that was after a few years of preparation. I got a degree in my home country, I got some work experience (3 years of it as was required at the time), and my first application failed. The reason why? The immigration classes changed during that time and I no longer qualified under the new regime (after spending YEARS getting education and work experience). I tried and became Canadian some years later, after further changes opened up an avenue for me. Now, years after living in Canada and going through the initial lengthy PR process, I have been delayed because of these factors for citizenship.

For some of us, this has been a process that is literally becoming decades long. In my case, the frustration is earned, it isn't lighthearted. I missed the last election, I want to finally participate and have access to federal/gov't jobs like all citizens are. I want my Canadian passport, I am a Canadian. Sure, my one individual vote wouldn't have made a difference, but its the participation factor that matters. Being a citizen matters. I love Canada, I am Canadian through and through.

We've paid our dues, the time has come, and we're still having to wait.

Again, no blame is being placed, its a frustration shared by many. Its easy to say just wait the several more months (or who knows how long), but its been a long enough wait already. COVID frustrations are just what we didn't need at this time in our lives.

No blame is being placed by my comments, but its too easy to brush off the frustrations. They are very real and justified.
When did you submit your citizenship application to CPC ?