+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No points in PR for online courses due to Covid 19

dinesh_18x

Mar 5, 2020
You are at the denial stage right now. I think if the government don't remove the restriction soon, they will not make a change. And if they would not make a change, they will not make an announcement, because the current policy is crystal clear. Furthermore, if you know the Goyal v. Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology case, you will understand that in Operational Bulletin 631 – October 17, 2016 the IRCC clearly stated that you have to provide proof that your coursework are offline!
  • Include documentary evidence that the majority of their coursework, including transfer credits, was done in-class and not by distance learning.
I am making a sincere suggestion to our people, and you said I am talking completely absurd and pointless. I am telling you the video recording is the best format of documentary evidence.

Taking video recording is not absurd at all. I think maybe it is the only way to convince the IRCC during the COVID time.
That's what my guy! You need to prove that you attended a course that's not a distance learning course. Not sure which college/uni. you're going, but if you check their website there will be two courses with same name but different codes differentiating the offline/regular course and distance learning course.

You're transcripts prove that you did offline/regular course and you're clear. Because distance learning is not something Canada considers for study permits as you don't need to be in Canada to do that. But I believe you're college/uni. asked for a visa/Aip right meaning you're course is regular/offline one. Due to this pandemic we're just taking them from home.

Although the 50% requires you're presence in Canada(not in class), since there is no difference between offline & distance. But they did wave it off for 1 year courses right. For 2years there still time let's hope for the best.

Reactions: sufjans

rocky321

Jan 21, 2021
hi everyone, any update on this? regarding this point:

"you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months"

does this mean I will only be able to get CRS points IF I have completed the program physically in Canada (even if classes are done virtually)? Or, does this mean that I can still get points as long as by the time I lodge my application, I have been physically present in Canada for at least 8 months – either through a combination of study and post graduate work?

some context, i am enrolled in an 8 month program which started last Sept 2020. i finished one semester in my home country, and I am completing my second semester physically in Canada (though classes are still virtually held).

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
hi everyone, any update on this? regarding this point:

"you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months"

does this mean I will only be able to get CRS points IF I have completed the program physically in Canada (even if classes are done virtually)? Or, does this mean that I can still get points as long as by the time I lodge my application, I have been physically present in Canada for at least 8 months – either through a combination of study and post graduate work?

some context, i am enrolled in an 8 month program which started last Sept 2020. i finished one semester in my home country, and I am completing my second semester physically in Canada (though classes are still virtually held).
Hello,

You're on track. As long as you complete the other 50% of your study from within Canada, you will be eligible for the PGWP. Put your mind at ease.

Regards

rocky321

Jan 21, 2021
my school said you ll get points if 50% program is completed in Canada
Thanks for the feedback. Even if classes are still held virtually? Does this apply to those who are enrolled only to an 8 month / 1 year program?

May i know which school are you from, if you dont mind? Thanks.

rocky321

Jan 21, 2021
Hello,

You're on track. As long as you complete the other 50% of your study from within Canada, you will be eligible for the PGWP. Put your mind at ease.

Regards
Thanks for the response. I understand i am still eligible for PGWP. Though i am not sure if i am eligible to claim for canadian education credential pts in EE given the situation i am in.

I am confused with what the phrase " and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months" . if this only pertains to my physical presence here in Canada while studying? or, if it pertains to my overall physical presence in canada (including post grad stay)?

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Thanks for the response. I understand i am still eligible for PGWP. Though i am not sure if i am eligible to claim for canadian education credential pts in EE given the situation i am in.

I am confused with what the phrase " and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months" . if this only pertains to my physical presence here in Canada while studying? or, if it pertains to my overall physical presence in canada (including post grad stay)?
You have to paste the complete paragraph for proper understanding of the sentence structure.

rocky321

Jan 21, 2021
You have to paste the complete paragraph for proper understanding of the sentence structure.
4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Note: to answer yes:

· English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
· you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
· you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
· you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. Even if classes are still held virtually? Does this apply to those who are enrolled only to an 8 month / 1 year program?

May i know which school are you from, if you dont mind? Thanks.
I'm from Seneca and did 8-month program. School immigration said I will get points

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Guys, I also have the same question. I am starting a Post-grad program on May. I already have my Study Permit. The college says that I will not have a problem but this is so confusing, I am coming back to Canada in end of April. so I can start the program inside Canada even though it is online. I don't who to trust.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Obviously 1 year programs are ineligible for CRS points, got to have minimum 8 months in person within Canada.

Last edited:

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Hi Guys, I also have the same question. I am starting a Post-grad program on May. I already have my Study Permit. The college says that I will not have a problem but this is so confusing, I am coming back to Canada in end of April. so I can start the program inside Canada even though it is online. I don't who to trust.
50% online only allowed until April 30th, 2021. Anything beyond that is ineligible for PGWP even if it's the pope.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ynandal99