+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Re: application fee payment

tinuadeadebola said:
My naija people. please how do one raise the application fee bankdraft ? is a dollar denominated bank draft sufficient? i thought of using my debit card but someone says it takes time for cic to charge it and might delay the application can someone who has paid from nija please advise?

Thanks
That dollar denominated draft route doesn't seem a tidy way to me, you'll have to do back & forths with Accra before sending your app to CIO sydney. CiC site says its OK, but i don't know of anyone who's been successful at it. Neddy attempted that route, see his account here
Please, dont waste your time. you can either use credit card from Nigeria or u get somebody outside the country(UK, US orCanada to the a draft for you in Canadian dollars.

I filled out the Accra payment form, attached a draft in us dollars and sent on 29th of December 2009.
My draft was returned back late January 2010 and i was directed to send my payments and application to CIO.

Tested and trusted way is getting the CAD drafts thru friends abroad. I've no idea how the intl payment settlement system on 9ja visa cards work.

seglad

Aug 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Methods of payment in either canadian/Us dollar still the same as it was in the old rules, In my case, in 2004 i paid in Us dollar with a nigerian bank draft from Union bank(you must have a domicilary account or look for someone who has a dollar account.) What i did was to add extra 50 US$ to the required amount and wrote a letter attached with the draft explaining the extra added £50 dollar should incase there is a currency rate instability. The draft was accepted and was never returned. Why CIO preferes payment in canadian dollar is to avoid paying incorrect amount due to dollar exchange rate instabilty . but should you, can demostrate this by adding between $20 - $50 in addition to the required amount i think you wont have any problem with this.

Should you have a friend in Canada/UK/US, then, one can ask them to buy a foreign dratf in canadian currency, this option i used to send processing fee for my additonal children, and will use when i will be asked to pay right of landing fee, because am currently in UK and will be easier for me to buy foreign draft in canadian currency here rather than sending Nigerian bank draft in dollar currency.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
seglad said:
Methods of payment in either canadian/Us dollar still the same as it was in the old rules,
Err, not quite the same.
In my case, in 2004 i paid in Us dollar with a nigerian bank draft from Union bank(you must have a domicilary account or look for someone who has a dollar account.) What i did was to add extra 50 US$ to the required amount and wrote a letter attached with the draft explaining the extra added £50 dollar should incase there is a currency rate instability
Not anymore. Makes no difference to CIO whether you pay thrice the amount in USD, the app will get bounced under new rules. Ample evidence abound on this and other similar forums
. The draft was accepted and was never returned. Why CIO preferes payment in canadian dollar is to avoid paying incorrect amount due to dollar exchange rate instabilty . but should you, can demostrate this by adding between $20 - $50 in addition to the required amount i think you wont have any problem with this.
They're tighter on this now.CIC isn't a BDC(lol), it distorts their accounting records, slows down timescale if they continue processing conversion rates/overpayments & refunds. For RPRF, Accra accepts drafts in USD @ prevailing rates published on their site. The Skilled worker scheme is an evolving process, its tough keeping up with it.
Should you have a friend in Canada/UK/US, then, one can ask them to buy a foreign dratf in canadian currency, this option i used to send processing fee for my additonal children, and will use when i will be asked to pay right of landing fee, because am currently in UK and will be easier for me to buy foreign draft in canadian currency here rather than sending Nigerian bank draft in dollar currency
Safest option

kulikuli

Star Member
Oct 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
09-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2010
LANDED..........
Not decided

canada2011

Feb 22, 2010
Nice thread u folks! keep up the good work. i am in lagos and ready to send my pack to sydney. biko, which of the postal means did any of you use that is affordable and reliable? Nipost? or must be DHL/UPS with neck cutting prices? thanks.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
canada2011 said:
Nice thread u folks! keep up the good work. i am in lagos and ready to send my pack to sydney. biko, which of the postal means did any of you use that is affordable and reliable? Nipost? or must be DHL/UPS with neck cutting prices? thanks.
You can use any of the main courier companies esp the ones you can track. The premium is just a lil price to pay for the benefit of enjoying that peace of mind which comes from knowing the exact time your package gets delivered and signed for. Look at it this way, you'll be sending your forms that took you days/weeks to fill out along with bank drafts that could be worth upto a thousand dollars(depending on family size), and nothing agonises more than sending off your app to Sydney CIO, and not being able to tell what time/whether it got delivered.

If funding is such an issue and you must use NIPOST, try to send from the NIPOST office at the Intl Airport Lagos and use the Sydney CIO - postal address, and pray. I have received documents sent from MMIA nipost(600naira stamp i think) in just 3-4days here in the UK, but i wouldn't take the risk with more important docs as this.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
canada2011 said:
DHL. I'd advise against UPS as I have a couple of clients that had issues with UPS. Goodluck with your application.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
barsindoo said:
I used UPS and I found them to be ok.
Yeah, but the odd time, your parcel (documents) goes missing in Lagos, not once or twice. UPS within N.America or Europe, no qualms....but to/from Lagos? I'd pass. DHL, a little bit more expensive, has proven reliable over the years; this is coming from someone that uses courier services in and out of Nigeria/Africa on a weekly basis. Just my recommendation; the original requester does not have to follow.

Boljet

Star Member
Oct 27, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Barsindoo and others,

Please how did you pay your RPRF as i have to pay urgently. Did you go to Ghana or paid from Nigeria.
Boljet

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
BTW, this is a free advice to some of you folks on here that may have or will soon be receiving their PR applications approved. Feel free to skip over.

I'm a Nigerian, born and bred....and I know our culture. We mostly do not plan properly or we gloss over some important things because we have wrong or inadequate info. For the sake of God, especially those with families, make sure you plan, plan, plan. I cannot emphasize it enough. Just as you have spent lots of months preparing your applications and waiting, please spend enough time planning your move. I've had a few clients and acquaintances from Nigeria that got their PR, sold their few belongings in Nigeria, dristributed their earnings and took the next flight to Canada. IF you do such/similar, you'd be in for the greatest shock of your life. In this recession days, the job market is still very tight and alot of businesses are still unstable. Make sure you research the city you plan to land/settle, if possible try to get an accommodation plan in place for at least 3 mths and make sure you have enough funds to take care of yourself and family for 3-6mths. Landing and going straight to a hotel with your family for 2wks does not make sense to me...unless you have the resources to burn. Infact, if you have that kind of money, I'd advice you to come down with your family, land and see the city/province for yourself, apply for your SIN, Health insurance, bank accounts, etc, contact realtors to buy a home (assuming you have an idea about the housing market) and then go back to Nigeria and conclude your plans properly with your first hand info. This is the ideal case...and a few people with the resources do it and do not regret it. Since resources are limited in most cases, you can also maximise it by drawing up a very efficient plan. Trust me, $11,000 (or whatever CIC's requirements are) is hardly enough for rent, clothing, feeding, etc for 3mths....If you have relatives, fine; they may help you initially but do not expect them to carry you on their back till you find your feet. You never know when you can find your feet. If you have a business in Nigeria, I'd advice you keep it "open" till you find your feet in Canada...at least, even if you are receiving some change monthly, it's better than nothing. If you have a job, you may want to take a leave of absence...maybe for 6mths. If within those months things do not go as planned, you have something to fall back on....do not throw caution into the air. Please dont. There's a professor I know about that just relocated....he cannot get a job in his field because institutions are in session and he does not even have his license. Even if he is licensed, there's no guarantee he'd get a contract. Before he (and his family of 4) left Nigeria, he sold everything and his relatives were there to share the spoils. He gave to his last paycheck to his parents. He had the $11k CIC asks for to settle....checked into a hotel for 2weeks after he landed. That wiped him clean. Now, he had to pick up low end jobs (security, cleaning, etc) just to make ends meet. It has been very tough for him and that's due to very poor planning. I can go on and on with stories...but please after all the excitement of getting your PR, sit down and map out your plan to settle. This is one of the reasons why you'd hear some people tell you never to immigrate to Canada or the US as it's not uncommon to see medical doctors, engineers, etc trained in other countries driving taxis/cabs in Canada or the US. I'm not saying things are rosy but if you take time to understand the system, make good contacts and plan properly, you'd be more likely to join the group of "successful" immigrants.

For those of you in the professional field (Medicine, Engineering, Law, etc), most of these professions are regulated. There's no two way about it; there are no under the table deals. You may likely have to take exams or go through a special program before you practice. So, make sure you know what these programs are. Every province is different. Contact the board in that province. Make sure you have the required documents before you come over, otherwise you'd have to wait for the documents to be sent from Nigeria and sometimes, it could take months...if it's a process you can start from Nigeria, you are better off. For example, some doctors may have to write exams. The first exam is the MCCEE...you can take that exam in Nigeria; that way when you come, you start studying or you write the QE1 almost immediately.

Again, the job and business markets are tight at the moment, not impossible but difficult...so do not expect to get jobs the very next week after you land. There are immigration programs in most provinces that help new immigrants. You may want to start contacting those programs before you land...basically, get some leads so that you can have something to follow when you land. If you have credible contacts in Canada (keyword is credible), try to get good leads from them. Do not land blindly. My 2 cents.

P.S. This forum has a settlement subforum where you can get some more info. You may want to post your questions there or on here. I do not have answers to all questions but I can try to find answers for you if time permits. Goodluck with all your immigration moves and planning. God bless y'all!

tonnyinchina

Star Member
Mar 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
15th October 2010
wow,thanks man for that info.I draw the keywords as, Prepare-prepare and Prepare!!

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the advance warning. We shall include your advise in our plans.

regards

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
Prof baba,

This is well articulated. I appreciate.

You have said it all..Plan, plan and plan. As the going is " who fail to plan has planed to fail"

Thank you so much for the beautiful idea.