+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus card

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I am planning to apply to Nexus as a PR. What should I bring to appointment? Also, where will I have the interview? I need to cross the land border and speak with bot us and Canadian officers? Do they have an interview office in Canada

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
I am planning to apply to Nexus as a PR. What should I bring to appointment? Also, where will I have the interview? I need to cross the land border and speak with bot us and Canadian officers? Do they have an interview office in Canada
Hello

You need to start your application online on CBP DHS website ( trusted Traveler Program).
first you will have to create your TTP account before starting the application.
You will be asked to fill out a long questionnaire, prepare details regarding addresses where you lived in the past 5 years, places your travelled to in the past 5 years, different jobs / employments occupied, . Once you are done with the online application, they will start the background checks: criminal records, immigration records, etc. This can take longer. when the background check is complete and they see nothing wrong with you, they will send you a notification of conditional approval. Once you are conditionally approved, you can schedule your enrolment interview at any enrolment center across the US. Right now all enrolment centres on Canadian soil are closed. If you receive your conditional approval, you will have to book your interview in one the centres in the US.
your conditional approval letter will tell you which documents to bring.

Reactions: appuchu

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Hello

You need to start your application online on CBP DHS website ( trusted Traveler Program).
first you will have to create your TTP account before starting the application.
You will be asked to fill out a long questionnaire, prepare details regarding addresses where you lived in the past 5 years, places your travelled to in the past 5 years, different jobs / employments occupied, . Once you are done with the online application, they will start the background checks: criminal records, immigration records, etc. This can take longer. when the background check is complete and they see nothing wrong with you, they will send you a notification of conditional approval. Once you are conditionally approved, you can schedule your enrolment interview at any enrolment center across the US. Right now all enrolment centres on Canadian soil are closed. If you receive your conditional approval, you will have to book your interview in one the centres in the US.
your conditional approval letter will tell you which documents to bring.
Thanks, I guess I will need to go to US border for Nexus enrolment center. Also what would be the valid answer for the why do you want Nexus card question? Can I say I am planning to visit many cities in the USA and I don't want to wait for long lines?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, I guess I will need to go to US border for Nexus enrolment center. Also what would be the valid answer for the why do you want Nexus card question? Can I say I am planning to visit many cities in the USA and I don't want to wait for long lines?
Have you applied and gotten an appointment for your interview? Interviews have been on hold for 2 years. You just don’t show up and ask for a Nexus card.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Mainly they expect you to prove that you have frequent commute/visit between two countries. Or else there is no use for this card.
This is not for cutting wait time as per my understanding. But surely you can apply and give it a shot as some officer might approve, who knows.

Have you applied and gotten an appointment for your interview? Interviews have been on hold for 2 years. You just don’t show up and ask for a Nexus card.
There was email to me few days/weeks ago that they are opening the enrolment centers.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-reopening-us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Mainly they expect you to prove that you have frequent commute/visit between two countries. Or else there is no use for this card.
This is not for cutting wait time as per my understanding. But surely you can apply and give it a shot as some officer might approve, who knows.

There was email to me few days/weeks ago that they are opening the enrolment centers.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-reopening-us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers
But have you been conditionally approved to book an appointment? As stated in the link there is a backlog. I have a friend who has been waiting two years for an interview. When you apply, they will tell you what you need to do.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
But have you been conditionally approved to book an appointment? As stated in the link there is a backlog. I have a friend who has been waiting two years for an interview. When you apply, they will tell you what you need to do.
I dont have pending application but we cant count the waiting period before they reopened. But surely they are open now and appointments are available now. As it will get filled fast, if one checks frequently then one can get it soon(unlike the past waiting for ever). Not sure your friend knows about the reopening.
https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/schedule-interview/location?lang=en&vo=true&returnUrl=ttp-external&service=up

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I dont have pending application but we cant count the waiting period before they reopened. But surely they are open now and appointments are available now. As it will get filled fast, if one checks frequently then one can get it soon(unlike the past waiting for ever). Not sure your friend knows about the reopening.
https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/schedule-interview/location?lang=en&vo=true&returnUrl=ttp-external&service=up
You need conditional approval to even set up an appointment. Did you click on any of the Canadian centres...states no spots available. My friend, who has been waiting for 2 years, works for CBSA so would know. I just got my Nexus renewed without interview so did my kids.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Here is today’s article on the backlog of 300,000 applications, and Canadian centres are not yet open. If you don’t have an application in the queue expect a long wait.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nexus-backlog-pandemic-1.6471521

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I just had yesterday my interview (first card , so needs to be done in person). They said that you need to check permanently their site to see if there are places. People cancel interviews sometimes and quite often it is for the whole family so many places are available at once.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
For those that need to update Nexus information, you can contact the CBSA office near you, leave a voicemail, and they'll call you back pretty quickly (and multiple times if you don't answer the first time) They'll give you the email to send the copies and a fax number for the US side of things. Once CBSA updates things on their side, they'll reply to confirm.

The US side does not have the email option because they're back in the dark ages still, but there are free 'email to fax' options you can use.

Mar 8, 2021
Hey All, Any idea how long Nexus s taking now? I am an Indian citizen with a Canada PR living in BC. Applied for NEXUS 5 weeks back but still waiting for conditional approval. My 5 year old kid is a US citizen and Canada PR. Applied for her Nexus as well. Ideally, her conditional approval should be way quicker than mine. Let's see how long it takes.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
My conditional approval took 6 months.

Hey All, Any idea how long Nexus s taking now? I am an Indian citizen with a Canada PR living in BC. Applied for NEXUS 5 weeks back but still waiting for conditional approval. My 5 year old kid is a US citizen and Canada PR. Applied for her Nexus as well. Ideally, her conditional approval should be way quicker than mine. Let's see how long it takes.

Mar 8, 2021
Status Update:
Nexus Application Date: May 29th
Conditional Approval: Oct 7th
Interview Date: Got march 2023 appointment but kept checking daily. Luckily got Oct 17th appointment in Blaine
Nexus Card Received in mail: Oct 24th

Now waiting for daughter's conditional approval now. Her application was sent 2 weeks after me so was expecting her approval by now

Shahbaz12

Jul 24, 2019
Status Update:
Nexus Application Date: May 29th
Conditional Approval: Oct 7th
Interview Date: Got march 2023 appointment but kept checking daily. Luckily got Oct 17th appointment in Blaine
Nexus Card Received in mail: Oct 24th

Now waiting for daughter's conditional approval now. Her application was sent 2 weeks after me so was expecting her approval by now
I am surprised to see the date of conditional approval bro. I have applied on May 25th and it is still showing application under review. Is there any way I can contact and ask them about my application?