App. Filed.......
24-03-2021
AOR Received.
24-03-2021
Med's Done....
06-04-2021
Passport Req..
03-08-2021
Thanks alot for your efforts in unifying this info for all.

However, for 2nd point, Service Canada doesn't allow walk-ins for SIN confirmation letters across all provinces in Canada due to Covid-19. They consider it a "non-essential " service (based upon my conversation with a service canada rep over the phone).
For example, in BC, you have no option other than applying online for a SIN letter. It takes 8-10 business days to arrive. Walk-ins are closed for SIN letters.

For 6th point, what specific info do we need to give to banks regarding change of status and what's the procedure? I mean do we need to provide any documents etc to bank? It would be helpful if you can share some info on it.

Thanks in advance!!
Hey! Are you sure? I walked in to Service Canada in Etobicoke to get my SIN record updated (for my new work permit). Now that I have received my eCOPR, I am planning to walk in to get it updated to a permanent number as well. Can you please let me know?

s-ingh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Hey! Are you sure? I walked in to Service Canada in Etobicoke to get my SIN record updated (for my new work permit). Now that I have received my eCOPR, I am planning to walk in to get it updated to a permanent number as well. Can you please let me know?
You can definitely try walking-in again. But in BC, especially in lower mainland, that didn't work for me.

EE2Canada2020

Aug 19, 2021
Guys. Here are some points to clear confusion. Hope this helps --
1. eCOPR with a officer signature on page two completes the PR application process with IRCC. Its an official document that you need to print sign, scan and keep it safe (of course, you can always print and sign it in future but I suggest to do so now). Your PR card application is a new process with a new application number starting with R,,,, PR card is useful mainly to travel outside Canada (and return). You DO NOT need to send eCOPR anywhere (except for applying for PR card and that too in the offline route i.e sending physical photos to IRCC)

2. Apply for SIN. You can apply online and wait for 15 days. You can also walkin to a Service Canada office and walkout in 15 min with a new SIN letter. Do not forget the fact that you need to apply for SIN for the minors a well. They qualify for their permanent SIN once they are PR.

NOTE: Strongly suggest walkin. A SIN lost in transit gives chills and headaches. The person who stole the letter will readily know -- Your SIN number, full name and address. All he needs is a picture of you and date of birth to commit fraudulent activity. Not worth this risk. I applied online but luckily received it after 2 weeks, in Ontario.

3. Goto Service Ontario or your provincial office to get the health card updated. This will update your status with them and everything will be in order. If you apply for a new drivers license at the same time as health card, it will allow you to renew both at the same time in future (and online) if you are in Ontario. New health card will be valid up to 5 years.

4. Apply for new my CRA account to apply for and track your taxes, CCB etc.

5. Inform your employer of the new SIN ASAP. Make sure you password protect your SIN scan pdf and share password and SIN letter separately and only with the HR person.

6. Inform all your banks and investment accounts etc. They are the ones who will update your SIN with the credit reporting agencies. So, do it ASAP.

7. Apply for my Service Canada account to track EI etc.

eCOPR without officer signature on page 2 is worthless. You will need to raise a webform to get this corrected ASAP.
IMPORTANT : Even if you get PR cards, COPR is very important and is mandatory to apply for citizenship. It is also required when you apply for other old age benefits (even if Canadian citizen), renounce your citizenship (Eg: India). Please make sure your COPR is signed. The validity on COPR ends 1 year after the medical test (of the first family member who passed the test first) and the validity is immaterial if you are inland. But because of how the govt. officials work (across the world), do get your SIN, cards etc. before your COPR expires.

Hope this helps. Hit a like so that I know :)
Amazing information, thanks a lot! Your signature shows that you linked your PR card applications to the GCKey, is it needed even when none of mine were paper application or provincial? It also said you could not link the 3rd PR card application, did that cause any issues or did it get resolved?

CharlesM

Jul 20, 2020
For Service Ontario, they definitely accept COPR/eCOPR. BC should not do this as COPR is an official document. You might have come across some third-party ICBC (yes, not all of them are run by govt. most outsourced).
Just confirming that BC (ICBC) will NOT accept eCoPR for driver's licenses. I agree they should but what can you do.

Accepted ID (icbc.com)

Confirmation of permanent resident IMM5292 or IMM5688 are not accepted as primary ID.

PeterDinh

Nov 15, 2020
So far that’s what I updated.

I changed SIN online (got it in 15 days via post) and went to the the provincial service center to update my status and get a new health card. Try searching for old posts, there’s lots of them here.

If you have investments you may need to share with your bank / investing platform your new SIN if it’s needed for tax purposes.

for CRA account, it’s automatically linked. If you used a sign in partner previously, it won’t work anymore, you have to create a new account.
Hi, I just got eCOPR. Could you help explaining about the old posts you talked about. What for old posts may be there? Where are the old posts and how can I search for them?
I have not yet filed company tax and income tax in Canada. But I do have CRA account (maybe for my company's tax). What should I do before I change my SIN, relating to tax matters?

venvi

Feb 3, 2022
Guys. Here are some points to clear confusion. Hope this helps --
1. eCOPR with a officer signature on page two completes the PR application process with IRCC. Its an official document that you need to print sign, scan and keep it safe (of course, you can always print and sign it in future but I suggest to do so now). Your PR card application is a new process with a new application number starting with R,,,, PR card is useful mainly to travel outside Canada (and return). You DO NOT need to send eCOPR anywhere (except for applying for PR card and that too in the offline route i.e sending physical photos to IRCC)

2. Apply for SIN. You can apply online and wait for 15 days. You can also walkin to a Service Canada office and walkout in 15 min with a new SIN letter. Do not forget the fact that you need to apply for SIN for the minors a well. They qualify for their permanent SIN once they are PR.

NOTE: Strongly suggest walkin. A SIN lost in transit gives chills and headaches. The person who stole the letter will readily know -- Your SIN number, full name and address. All he needs is a picture of you and date of birth to commit fraudulent activity. Not worth this risk. I applied online but luckily received it after 2 weeks, in Ontario.

3. Goto Service Ontario or your provincial office to get the health card updated. This will update your status with them and everything will be in order. If you apply for a new drivers license at the same time as health card, it will allow you to renew both at the same time in future (and online) if you are in Ontario. New health card will be valid up to 5 years.

4. Apply for new my CRA account to apply for and track your taxes, CCB etc.

5. Inform your employer of the new SIN ASAP. Make sure you password protect your SIN scan pdf and share password and SIN letter separately and only with the HR person.

6. Inform all your banks and investment accounts etc. They are the ones who will update your SIN with the credit reporting agencies. So, do it ASAP.

7. Apply for my Service Canada account to track EI etc.

eCOPR without officer signature on page 2 is worthless. You will need to raise a webform to get this corrected ASAP.
IMPORTANT : Even if you get PR cards, COPR is very important and is mandatory to apply for citizenship. It is also required when you apply for other old age benefits (even if Canadian citizen), renounce your citizenship (Eg: India). Please make sure your COPR is signed. The validity on COPR ends 1 year after the medical test (of the first family member who passed the test first) and the validity is immaterial if you are inland. But because of how the govt. officials work (across the world), do get your SIN, cards etc. before your COPR expires.

Hope this helps. Hit a like so that I know :)
Hi this is very helpful, but I have question with respect to medical test. I am the primary applicant and I am inland, the expiry on my eCOPR is feb 17th, 2022. But I have dependent on my application my spouse who is in India. Will the expiry date on eCOPR effect my spouse to travel to Canada? Also my express entry profile is not updated, even though I have received eCOPR - the status on express entry profile is still not updated. Will it take time or should I call IRCC to check on it.
Thanks in advance!

venvi

Feb 3, 2022
Guys, can you please help me with my following question:
1. Primary applicant is inland and dependent is in India.
2. I received eCOPR, but express entry profile still shows - medicals passed.
3. Will expiry on eCOPR effect the dependent to travel from India?

Thanks in advance.

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
How does it work for my kids that I included in the application and they are outside canada

Navitaly

Jun 15, 2021
Hello Guys.

can you please help me with the following question:

I just received the approval Email for PR, in the portal the issued a COPR
I had planned a trip out of Canada in January, with this situation how can I return while my status seems to be changed to PR ?

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hello Guys.

can you please help me with the following question:

I just received the approval Email for PR, in the portal the issued a COPR
I had planned a trip out of Canada in January, with this situation how can I return while my status seems to be changed to PR ?
Congratulation for the PR! As far as travelling, you may have some issues, especially if travelling by plane, until you receive your PR card. Since you are now a permanent resident, your visa/eTA are no longer valid. If you travel by land and private vehicle you should be able to explain the situation and cross with only your passport and the CoPR, but if you are trying to get on a plane they will check your visa/eTA and they will likely not allow you to board.
I would suggest to apply for PR card as soon as you can. There may also be the possibility of applying for an emergency travel document, I will see if I can remember how it works and in which cases it is allowed.

Navitaly

Jun 15, 2021
Congratulation for the PR! As far as travelling, you may have some issues, especially if travelling by plane, until you receive your PR card. Since you are now a permanent resident, your visa/eTA are no longer valid. If you travel by land and private vehicle you should be able to explain the situation and cross with only your passport and the CoPR, but if you are trying to get on a plane they will check your visa/eTA and they will likely not allow you to board.
I would suggest to apply for PR card as soon as you can. There may also be the possibility of applying for an emergency travel document, I will see if I can remember how it works and in which cases it is allowed.
Thank you @matteosc for the answer
in this case is almost impossible for me to have this trip, since will be in 3 weeks and I will only stay there for 3 days
but even if I haven't submitted the documents requested in the approval Email such as photo & ...my status already changed to PR ?

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Thank you @matteosc for the answer
in this case is almost impossible for me to have this trip, since will be in 3 weeks and I will only stay there for 3 days
but even if I haven't submitted the documents requested in the approval Email such as photo & ...my status already changed to PR ?
You are considered PR when you do your landing, physical or virtual. In your case it will be virtual and, if I am not mistaken, will happen after you send the required information and documents.
Since you did not do that yet, I believe you are not PR at the moment, so if you have an eTA or a visa (I imagine work visa, since you are residing in Canada), it should still be valid. You should therefore be able to travel and come back under your current status, landing as PR later on.
That said, I believe you only have a limited amount of time to answer to the approval email and become PR, so you should be careful about that.

It is a tricky situation: the safest thing would be to apply for PR card immediately (I think it is done automatically when landing virtually) and postpone or cancel your trip if the PR card does not arrive in time.

If the trip is really important you could try to either:
  1. Reply to the email after your trip
  2. Reply to the email now and take your chances and travel anyways with your current eTA/visa, even if technically PR
I would personally not recommend this, as you may be stuck outside Canada....

(Just as a side note: yesterday they notify me that they cancelled my eTA since I am PR. This happened after being PR for 6 months, so these things are not really instantaneous).

shankarator

Jan 11, 2023
@Navitaly @matteosc I am in the same situation. I got my eCOPR on Jan 11th. I don't have my PR card but looks like its going to take atleast a couple of months from eCOPR date. My TRV was renewed recently on Jan 6th and is valid until 2029. I have travel plans to leave the country on Jan 30th. I cannot postpone or cancel this. I am hoping the validity of my visa will allow me to enter Canada. The timing is coincidental where both TRV and eCOPR arrived around the same time. I did not plan this and considering I don't have a natural travel document as a PR, I am hoping my TRV can fill the gap. It sounds fair to me but cannot find much documentation online.

Reactions: Ragavan S