+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New TRV measures from IRCC for spouses having sponsorship application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are they even issuing TRV approvals? I applied Aug 6th. The processing time has passed but I haven't gotten any update. TRV from India. Applied Spousal PR and everything on portal is complete.
Posted processing times are just average estimates and often incorrect. Fairly typical for many to end up waiting over 2 months before they hear about their TRV applications while others are processed in as little as a few weeks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just applied for a TRV as well just in case family sponsorship application isn’t approved by the time we need to travel in January. On average how long does this take? I’m eligible for can+ as well
Do not purchase any tickets before having your passport stamped and in your possession. There is never a guarantee of exact processing times. There also isn’t a guarantee that TRV will approved.

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
We received a response today. They denied the trv due lack of funds and family ties outside Canada. Even though said i would support him financially and I had more than adequate funds to support him in my account and showed my bank statements.

• Sad
Reactions: T0pubo and ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
We received a response today. They denied the trv due lack of funds and family ties outside Canada. Even though said i would support him financially and I had more than adequate funds to support him in my account and showed my bank statements.
Seems like a generic answer... Have you ever requested GCMS notes for your PR? If so, were there any concerns noted?

Reactions: T0pubo

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
Seems like a generic answer... Have you ever requested GCMS notes for your PR? If so, were there any concerns noted?
Yes I did and I didn't notice anything that was a concern. I felt it was a generic response as well and it even states refusal letter generic in the portal. We are 11 months into our spousal application and it's like they never took any of that into consideration or read what I supplied about my finances and invitation letter.

Last edited:

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
I'm debating whether or not to contact an immigration lawyer to see if they can help. Do you think it's worth while? Because honestly for those 2 reasons for rejection while we are so far into our application doesn't seem right or fair especially I have provided all my finances as well.

Reactions: T0pubo

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Yes I did and I didn't notice anything that was a concern. I felt it was a generic response as well and it even states refusal letter generic in the portal. We are 11 months into our spousal application and it's like they never took any of that into consideration or read what I supplied about my finances and invitation letter.
I noticed that we have somewhat similar timeline - the timing should have played in your favor. Then there is no concerns in GCMS notes either...
I would like ask about details of your PR profile but don't want to bother you too much with that if you don't feel sharing this info. You can just make a self-assessment as if you are the officer looking at your case - is it strong?

I can reflect on my case, that I believe is quit strong (with two-digit number of years of well traceable common-law); and having virtually no home ties anymore we got our TRV in no time..

On the other hand I see people getting super fast approvals of PR while having practically no relationship history. So I don't know what they truly consider strong or weak...

Not sure if lawyer can be of any help here.... maybe try your MP to get more info from IRCC as to determine the real reason of refusal?

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
I noticed that we have somewhat similar timeline - the timing should have played in your favor. Then there is no concerns in GCMS notes either...
I would like ask about details of your PR profile but don't want to bother you too much with that if you don't feel sharing this info. You can just make a self-assessment as if you are the officer looking at your case - is it strong?

I can reflect on my case, that I believe is quit strong (with two-digit number of years of well traceable common-law); and having virtually no home ties anymore we got our TRV in no time..

On the other hand I see people getting super fast approvals of PR while having practically no relationship history. So I don't know what they truly consider strong or weak...

Not sure if lawyer can be of any help here.... maybe try your MP to get more info from IRCC as to determine the real reason of refusal?
I'm the sponsor and my husband is the PA in morocco. We have been married almost 1 year. We started talking December 2020, started to begin a relationship around April 2021. We met in October on a trip in turkey.

Tried to apply for trv for him to visit me here in Nov 2021 (denied to funds, lack of employment prospects, travel history and purpose of trip, employment situation), reapplied December 2021 and denied again (purpose of trip, funds, limited employment prospects).

We traveled to Dubai in June 2022, I went to Morocco in September for marriage and left Morocco in November. Applied for spousal in November. We went to dubai again February 2023 and I went to Morocco again in June 2023.

We showed about $7000 cad in his account with Bank statements. We filled out all the paperwork and supplied my bank information with over 100k in bank and the bank certified the information, gave pay stubs, t4. Said that we seeking trv while we waited for the application to be completed gave all that information. Requested 6 months and said if the trv expired before application was approved we would have a flight ticket prechased for him to go back while we continue to wait.

I messaged the MP last month, they still never had any information until my husband said he received a response in the portal. I messaged the mp about the results.... and now here we are. Ties were never an issue in the previous trv. But funds were. Though I stated and showed I will responsible for him financially (they had no issues for the sponsor approval for me regarding finances.)

Last edited:

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
I sent an inquiry to an immigration law firm to see what they suggest. My mp office has been silent since I asked for their help last month, they said they would send an inquiry and no one ever responded back, so I'm not expecting them to help much after the refusal either.

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
TRV for my partner was refused today, I thought this was supposed to be a family reunification style visa......

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
TRV for my partner was refused today, I thought this was supposed to be a family reunification style visa......
Hi YULpj - I know its tough but pls stay strong. This whole process is very demanding and know that you are not alone. Let your partner's Pr application progress ahead - atleast when you know see background check and eligibility passed - then apply for TRV again. Or who knows, you might get the PPR on your PR application by then.

And despite having a tough day, you took the time to come here and shared the news with us. Thank you for sharing the info with all us on this forum. Every single update, from each of us - helps all of us to understand how CIC is operating each week.

All the best.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
... Let your partner's Pr application progress ahead - atleast when you know see background check and eligibility passed - then apply for TRV again. Or who knows, you might get the PPR on your PR application by then.
I have heard of cases there where background check and eligibility have been passed and then a period of delay before PPR. In other cases, once those are passed, approval follows with lightning speed. My wife's sister got pre-arrival letter on Sept. 12, background completed Sept. 15 (eligibility was complete before that), PPR received September 20. There was no time to apply for TRV once background check and eligibility were complete. I chose to say "complete", since I have not seen the GCKey or tracker in her case show either as "passed", only "complete". The only "passed" noted was medical exam. I think @InfoSeeker12 recognizes this, in saying "you might get the PPR on your PR application by then."

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm the sponsor and my husband is the PA in morocco. We have been married almost 1 year. We started talking December 2020, started to begin a relationship around April 2021. We met in October on a trip in turkey.

Tried to apply for trv for him to visit me here in Nov 2021 (denied to funds, lack of employment prospects, travel history and purpose of trip, employment situation), reapplied December 2021 and denied again (purpose of trip, funds, limited employment prospects).

We traveled to Dubai in June 2022, I went to Morocco in September for marriage and left Morocco in November. Applied for spousal in November. We went to dubai again February 2023 and I went to Morocco again in June 2023.

We showed about $7000 cad in his account with Bank statements. We filled out all the paperwork and supplied my bank information with over 100k in bank and the bank certified the information, gave pay stubs, t4. Said that we seeking trv while we waited for the application to be completed gave all that information. Requested 6 months and said if the trv expired before application was approved we would have a flight ticket prechased for him to go back while we continue to wait.

I messaged the MP last month, they still never had any information until my husband said he received a response in the portal. I messaged the mp about the results.... and now here we are. Ties were never an issue in the previous trv. But funds were. Though I stated and showed I will responsible for him financially (they had no issues for the sponsor approval for me regarding finances.)
Any other red flags like large age difference, different religions, etc.?