+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Travel Restrictions - does it apply to students?

Ppun

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
The new travel restrictions are only for those who want to enter canada for non-essential purposes. We international students are going for essential purposes as long as our DLI is in the COVID-19 readiness plan. So, these restrictions are only for non-essential travellers. We international students are exempt from these new restrictions.

frustratedSDS

Jan 29, 2021
Where did you hear they're going to be disqualified if they attend online classes?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html

Outside Canada
Time spent studying outside of Canada in a post-graduation work permit-eligible program offered by an eligible Canadian institution until April 30, 2021, will be counted toward the overall length of the post-graduation work permit, provided the student completes at least 50%Footnote* of their program of study’s total courses in Canada (either online or in class).​

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html

Outside Canada
Time spent studying outside of Canada in a post-graduation work permit-eligible program offered by an eligible Canadian institution until April 30, 2021, will be counted toward the overall length of the post-graduation work permit, provided the student completes at least 50%Footnote* of their program of study’s total courses in Canada (either online or in class).​
That is for students who have enrolled in a program with a start date in the spring, summer or fall 2020 semester, who study outside of Canada up to April 30, 2021.

When does your semester start?

frustratedSDS

Jan 29, 2021
That is for students who have enrolled in a program with a start date in the spring, summer or fall 2020 semester, who study outside of Canada up to April 30, 2021.

When does your semester start?
I already started last Fall 2020 and am currently enrolled in Winter 2021..
I guess technically I only have until 30 April to land..

Reactions: ynandal99

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
The new travel restrictions are only for those who want to enter canada for non-essential purposes. We international students are going for essential purposes as long as our DLI is in the COVID-19 readiness plan. So, these restrictions are only for non-essential travellers. We international students are exempt from these new restrictions.
This makes sense. But, wondering if the news reports that is being discussed here had mentioned about this essential travel category as an exemption.

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
Well I do hope this is true what you're saying!

Because they will lose a lot of students including me if we have to pay up to $2000 for SOLELY 3(!) nights! I can't wait for further clarification on this. I really hope you're right with that

NavKaur12

Dec 25, 2020
I am an international student and I have flight on 2 feb . So is this rule apply on me? I have made all arrangements for 14 day quarantine.

Reactions: Whofears

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
I am an international student and I have flight on 2 feb . So is this rule apply on me? I have made all arrangements for 14 day quarantine.
You are screwed if you booked your flight to any destination other than :

Montréal-Trudeau International Airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport, Calgary International Airport, and Vancouver International Airport.

This will be in effect as of (11:59 PM EST) February 3, 2021

Last edited: