+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Travel Restrictions - does it apply to students?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Arghh any news on this? The whole family is traveling at the end of March, including our dog. We made sure to rent a place for quarantine that had a large backyard so kid could breathe some fresh air and dog could poop etc. I’m scared AF that hotels won’t have a plan for dogs
Same here with the dog situation. Still waiting for the study permit approval to start in Spring semester (May), which means I would have to travel in April.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that the new restrictions are targeted for returning Canadians who take vacations during the pandemic to discourage them from going out and returning with the virus. Otherwise, why would Trudeau specifically name an estimation for the price of staying at these hotels? Hopefully it will be clear soon.
It is not only targeting Canadians going on vacation or only vacationers would have to go to the hotel. Anyone could bring in the covid mutation so the government wants almost all travellers to go through a test and 3 day hotel stay.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
It is not only targeting Canadians going on vacation or only vacationers would have to go to the hotel. Anyone could bring in the covid mutation so the government wants almost all travellers to go through a test and 3 day hotel stay.
I think all non-discretionary travel is subject to the new restrictions, because if this is meant to be for all travelers, Trudeau would not be naming the expense of the travel in a do-this-and-you-get-that kind of way. In my view, it is clear that these are deterring measures against non-discretionary travel because the 14-day quarantine should be sufficient. Another reason why these restrictions are targeted is that Canada needs people who bring income and benefit the country; if they tell them: "if you come here, you'll need to pay more than $2,000 for just 3 days at a hotel" do you think that would incentivize them to go to Canada at all?

Last edited:

ChileanGerman

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
I think all non-discretionary travel is subject to the new restrictions, because if this is meant to be for all travelers, Trudeau would not be naming the expense of the travel in a do-this-and-you-get-that kind of way. In my view, it is clear that these are deterring measures against non-discretionary travel because the 14-day quarantine should be sufficient. Another reason why these restrictions are targeted is that Canada needs people who bring income and benefit the country; if they tell them: "if you come here, you'll need to pay more than $2,000 for just 3 days at a hotel" do you think that would incentivize them to go to Canada at all?
Exactly my thoughts. They want to get students (or let me say the students' money lol) but in the same movement tell them to pay an estimated $2000 for 3 days at a designated hotel is just odd. They are just deterring them with that. Even if I paid $15000 for my studies, another $2000 on top might not sound too much, but it definitely makes a difference.
Today the mandatory PCR test at the airport took effect, so let's see for the updates 'in the coming weeks'!

Reactions: Ppun, Tete and fl0

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Only connecting flight student travellers are exempt. I am exempt btw (particularly Toronto Pearson, don't know about others).

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Travellers exempt from testing:
  • Children who are four (4) years of age and younger
  • International travellers connecting to a Canadian destination outside Ontario (without leaving the airport premises)
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/healthy-airport/covid-19-testing-at-toronto-pearson
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/toronto-pearson-airport-mandatory-testing.720080/page-2
So that means if it's a transit flight, then you will still be tested at the final stop, so the new restrictions will still apply. (e.g. you're flying over to Vancouver and one of the stops was in Toronto's Pearson airport; you won't take the test at Pearson, but you will take it at your final stop in Vancouver)

Reactions: YVR123