+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Travel Restrictions - does it apply to students?

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
Exemptions to border restrictions
Date modified: 2021-01-29

Being exempt from border restrictions does not mean you're exempt from other requirements, including:
  • mandatory quarantine
  • any additional public health requirements of the province or territory where you'll be quarantining and staying while in Canada
Does the 3-day quarantine at a designated government-approved hotel fall under "any additional public health requirements of the province of territory..."? Is there any update on who the exceptions are?

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
This is from the Federal government, provincial would be separate but will align with the usual 14 day plan
Correct but its only 11 days since 3 days are sapped initially.

Edit: This info might not be accurate and can be subjected to change.

Last edited:

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Does the 3-day quarantine at a designated government-approved hotel fall under "any additional public health requirements of the province of territory..."? Is there any update on who the exceptions are?
Who is exempt from quarantine
You may be exempt from the mandatory quarantine requirements under certain conditions, including if you:

• provide essential services
  • maintain the flow of essential goods or people
  • are receiving medical care within 36 hours of entering Canada (non-related to COVID-19)
  • regularly cross the border to work
  • live in an integrated trans-border community
And truck drivers.

Don't think International students will ever make it into being exempt.

Reactions: canuck78

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
Who is exempt from quarantine
You may be exempt from the mandatory quarantine requirements under certain conditions, including if you:

• provide essential services
  • maintain the flow of essential goods or people
  • are receiving medical care within 36 hours of entering Canada (non-related to COVID-19)
  • regularly cross the border to work
  • live in an integrated trans-border community
And truck drivers.

Don't think International students will ever make it into being exempt.
What about int. students exempt from those 3 days? So they just do 14 days quarantine at home without those 3 days at the hotel + 11 days at home

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
What about int. students exempt from those 3 days? So they just do 14 days quarantine at home without those 3 days at the hotel + 11 days at home
International arrivals (everyone) will be required to take a PCR test upon landing in Canada, will have to quarantine for 3 days at a government designated hotel and wait for the results at the hotel.

“Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement,” he explained, adding those with positive tests will be “immediately required to quarantine in designated-government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of potential concern.” - Trudeau

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
International arrivals (everyone) will be required to take a PCR test upon landing in Canada, will have to quarantine for 3 days at a government designated hotel and wait for the results at the hotel.

“Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement,” he explained, adding those with positive tests will be “immediately required to quarantine in designated-government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of potential concern.” - Trudeau
What a pathetic way/excuse to make money. I'm sure there is an agreement between the government and the hotels and they'll split the profit from those 3 days 50/50.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They will provide better insights to the restrictions in the coming days.
Not sure why you think that international students will be exempt. Based on what I have seen published there will be minimal people exempted and will be people like flight crew, healthcare workers commuting to the US, etc. If a large group like international students were exempted I’m not sure why the program would make sense.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What a pathetic way/excuse to make money. I'm sure there is an agreement between the government and the hotels and they'll split the profit from those 3 days 50/50.
What profit? Between the test, transportation, enhanced cleaning of both hotel and transportation, pcr test, food,security, public health monitoring the people in quarantine, etc. this isn’t a money maker for the government.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
What profit? Between the test, transportation, enhanced cleaning of both hotel and transportation, pcr test, food,security, public health monitoring the people in quarantine, etc. this isn’t a money maker for the government.
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that the new restrictions are targeted for returning Canadians who take vacations during the pandemic to discourage them from going out and returning with the virus. Otherwise, why would Trudeau specifically name an estimation for the price of staying at these hotels? Hopefully it will be clear soon.

fl0

Jul 24, 2020
Arghh any news on this? The whole family is traveling at the end of March, including our dog. We made sure to rent a place for quarantine that had a large backyard so kid could breathe some fresh air and dog could poop etc. I’m scared AF that hotels won’t have a plan for dogs

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Arghh any news on this? The whole family is traveling at the end of March, including our dog. We made sure to rent a place for quarantine that had a large backyard so kid could breathe some fresh air and dog could poop etc. I’m scared AF that hotels won’t have a plan for dogs
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travellers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.
May the odds be in our favor.

OmarShafey

Apr 19, 2020
Hello, there has been an update from the Prime Minister that one has to quarantine in a hotel and pay $2000 for the first 3 days after arriving in Canada. Does that apply to International Students with a valid stamp on the VISA, or are we exempt? I have received my passport stamp on 12th November 2020.

I am studying at the University of Montreal.
Hi Arka, My flight is within a couple of days, and I am in the same state of confusion you have, did you get any additional info? I already have booked a 14 days quarantine plan by the college which will be in a designated hotel. so, seeing such updates really drive me nuts