+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** New PR to Canada and Filing Return for the First Time ***

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
Hi Experts,

I am new to Canada as a Permanent Resident. I will be filing my 1st Tax Return and needing your help.

Can anyone suggest a best free software to file a tax return?

Is it safe to file a tax return through software or to go to a accountant as it's the first time?

Please guide. Thank you

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
vedette said:
Hi Experts,

I am new to Canada as a Permanent Resident. I will be filing my 1st Tax Return and needing your help.

Is it safe to file a tax return through software or to go to a accountant as it's the first time?

Please guide. Thank you
Go to a CPA and file your tax return, this ensures you provide accurate information to the system and can take advantage of any tax breaks you are eligible for.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If your status is complicated like you have tons of businesses and hundred thousand of income, better hire a tax accountant,
but if you have one T4, single, why bother paying other people if you can download a free software like studiotax or turbotax, just google it or if you browse in this forum you will find the link I posted.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I forgot that you can go to community centers, there are tax volunteers who will do it for you for free/donation, only if you are low-income earner.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
vedette said:
Hi Experts,

Please guide. Thank you
First time tax filer here as well.

I used Studio Tax and filed online. received my return already!

However, note that you can't change your address as you file, so if you've communicated with CRA before, they will use your old address

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Address changes can be done in myaccount or call them.

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
Thanks alot pie-vancouver. So you filed your first return through Studio Tax? Which version you used [Free or which is 34.9 CAD]?

Secondly what type of refunds you can expect being a new comer?

Thanks so much

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
^the big green 2016 (StudioTax 2016 for Windows), that is free, if you want to donate after filing you can.
My first filing was 2011 I mailed the return coz I thought first timers can't use netfile back then, after that always netfile, it's easier and after 1 week you get the refund and noa.
First timer is not that different from not first timer, first timer just takes a while to process coz CRA doesn't have your file yet. If the tax withheld is higher than the computed income tax then you get refund if not, you pay. Always review schedule 1 coz this is the tax credits that can lower your income tax, like spouse amt if you supported your spouse, child expenses, transit expenses, donation, medical exp, tuition fees, interest on student loans, etc...

ScotToCan

Jan 10, 2017
My husband recently landed and finally has a SIN number. We have been married and living in Canada together since 2009. I need to submit income tax forms for him for each year since we have been married in order for them to release my benefits.

I am looking to submit 8 years of income tax returns with a 0 income but would like to know if I would submit on the standard "Income Tax and Benefit Return" or should it be on the "Income Tax and Benefit Return for Non-residents and Deemed Residents of Canada"?

We have lived together 365 days each year...he has not left Canada during the full duration....and I simply need to file a 0.

Any Help?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
^What was he doing in Canada from 2009 to 2016? Student?