+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR application being held due to records showing old PR

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Stuff Happens!

There is always a reason. Even when it is very difficult, perhaps practically impossible to figure out the reason, the how and why this or that happened, there was a reason . . . or confluence of reasons.

Hopefully the reason does not appear, to IRCC, to have been based on or derivative from some misrepresentation at some stage of previous proceedings.

Otherwise, a PR living in Canada for years should be able to apply for a new PR card, or if abroad at the moment, for a PR Travel Document, and continue to live in Canada as a PR going forward . . . even apply for and obtain Canadian citizenship if the requirements for citizenship have been met.

As for sorting out reasons and causation for how this situation arose, that would be a fact-specific inquiry which would be hampered by lack of access into details about what happened in CIC and then IRCC. Pursuing an explanation is not likely to reveal some loophole others could employ, some flaw in the system which could be exploited, not even something which could offer someone else some small advantage.

Unless there is a misrepresentation scenario involved, the how and why probably does not matter.

In the not so distant past, clients with in effect two (sometimes more) identities in the Canadian CBSA and CIC/IRCC databases, were somewhat common. Unusual, few in number, but it happened. And indeed over the years, a lot of the processing practices and technology has been aimed at minimizing the extent to which this would happen, and fixing the instances where in the past it has happened. That might explain the initial separation, disconnection. And improvements in fixing these problems could explain why IRCC has now identified the two as actually one, one with PR status. But that is a guess as to possibilities. Hardly gets any more vague and indecisive than that.

As for a Canadian's identity in Service Canada databases, versus identity (or identities) in CBSA and IRCC databases, of course one individual should have only one identity across the board in all Canadian records and databases. And that is usually the case. And here too the government is always in the process of enhancing its capacity to minimize errors, to minimize instances in which one person might have distinct identities in this or that government databases. And always working to identify and fix any instances to the contrary. But of course there is a bigger risk of having unconnected identities between records maintained in one government agency compared to another, such as in CRA records compared to immigration records. For legitimate immigrants pursuing a life in Canada, it is best to have one consistent, accurate identity in all the systems. Fortunately there is probably nothing more someone needs to do beyond always using the same name and DoB and SIN and immigration client number whenever any of this information needs to be provided.

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
Super sorry I never delivered on my promise of getting back to you all. I got my old PR Card in few weeks, applied for citizenship straight away and go my citizenship in few months after. It worked out, pretty crazy mad ride.

Reactions: armoured