+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR application being held due to records showing old PR

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
Hello all,

Just seeking any insights and advice on my following unique situation.

In 2002 (when I was 10), my parents applied for PR but never ended up staying here.

FAST FORWARD 2009
I end up coming to study in Canada as an international student and I am granted a Study Permit and once finishing my degree, a 3 year work permit. I have been in Canada ever since.

FAST FORWARD 2016
I apply for PR thru express entry, obtain OINP, and submit all documents required. Now I hear back saying that the records indicate that you became a PR of Canada in 2002. Now I have been given two option

• Request a formal determination of your status by submitting a complete application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document
  • Voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status by submitting anApplication to Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status

I am going thru on the first option. Just wondering if anyone has any experience, ideas of whats going on?, comments etc would be appreciated.

R

rish888

@canindian108

Are you currently in Canada? If you are, you cannot apply for a Permanent resident travel document.

What has happened is you were always a PR. Somewhere along the lines the Canadian Embassy, then CIC messed up by giving you a study permit and a PGWP.

Given that you have lived in Canada all these years, you are now back in compliance with your residency obligation.

You DO NOT need a formal determination of status. You are in compliance, period.

What you need to do is apply for a Permanent Resident Card.

The bottom line: You are a permanent resident. You would be an idiot to give it up. Apply for a permanent resident card. Assuming you have lived in Canada for the past 4 years, apply directly for citizenship after you receive your permanent resident card.

And whatever you do. And I mean whatever you do. DO NOT leave Canada until you have your PR card IN HAND.

This is the link for a PR card application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

Fill in the forms, mail in the application, and wait for the card.

Reactions: canindian108

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
Yes I have been here for the last 8 years pretty much. Thats what I am hoping to do. All that wasted money in tuition fees...

R

rish888

@canindian108

You are a lucky dude. Because the embassy messed up, you managed to get into Canada to live long enough to get back in compliance with your Residency Obligation.

Don't mess this up now. Application for a PR card is the best and only sensible approach.

R

rish888

Yes I have been here for the last 8 years pretty much. Thats what I am hoping to do. All that wasted money in tuition fees...
There was a chance that back then if they found out you were a PR you may have lost your status.

This of all those wasted tuition fees as payment to get back into Canada issue free. This about it this way, right now you can directly apply for citizenship. (Though get your PR card first.)

Whatever you do, DO NOT renounce.

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
Well that makes me feel better coz I have been thinking about all the wasted money in tuition if I already was a PR. Renouncing is out of question. I also have a brother (19); idk if I can do something for him after I am sorted? He also was issued a visit visa to canada few years ago even though he is in same situation as me.

R

rish888

Well that makes me feel better coz I have been thinking about all the wasted money in tuition if I already was a PR. Renouncing is out of question. I also have a brother (19); idk if I can do something for him after I am sorted? He also was issued a visit visa to canada few years ago even though he is in same situation as me.
@canindian108
Apply for a PR card. (btw do you have your original Record of landing?)

For your bro, the guy is lucky that he has a visit visa. Tell him to fly to Canada and keep his mouth shut at immigration. Once he is in the country he just needs to stay for 2 years straight without leaving once. Then he can apply for a PR card. (but no contact with immigration for 2 years.)

Until then he can use his record of landing as proof that he is a PR for stuff like health insurance and getting domestic uni fees.

R

rish888

Hello all,

Just seeking any insights and advice on my following unique situation.

In 2002 (when I was 10), my parents applied for PR but never ended up staying here.

FAST FORWARD 2009
I end up coming to study in Canada as an international student and I am granted a Study Permit and once finishing my degree, a 3 year work permit. I have been in Canada ever since.

FAST FORWARD 2016
I apply for PR thru express entry, obtain OINP, and submit all documents required. Now I hear back saying that the records indicate that you became a PR of Canada in 2002. Now I have been given two option

• Request a formal determination of your status by submitting a complete application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document
  • Voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status by submitting anApplication to Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status

I am going thru on the first option. Just wondering if anyone has any experience, ideas of whats going on?, comments etc would be appreciated.
@dpenabill @Rob_TO

Any insights on how the above situation was possible? Thought there way no possible way a PR could get any form of temporary immigration permit.

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
I have to check with my dad about record of landing. I will update you on that once I find out from him.

Oh WOW; well he is studying in states currently so after he finishes could definitely do that. Thank you very much Rishi.

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
@dpenabill @Rob_TO

Any insights on how the above situation was possible? Thought there way no possible way a PR could get any form of temporary immigration permit.
Yes would love to know...this kind of weird shit keeps happening to me...I should have caught it when in 2013 I wasn't able to get a sin number as they said I already had one from before which is what I use now.

R

rish888

I have to check with my dad about record of landing. I will update you on that once I find out from him.

Oh WOW; well he is studying in states currently so after he finishes could definitely do that. Thank you very much Rishi.
All the best man! Just make sure your bro comes to Canada before his visit visa expires. This is good as it will allow him to slip under the radar. Pls do a favor and stay active on this forum updating us how your situation is going.

canindian108

Sep 29, 2017
All the best man! Just make sure your bro comes to Canada before his visit visa expires. This is good as it will allow him to slip under the radar. Pls do a favor and stay active on this forum updating us how your situation is going.
I will definitely stay active and keep this thread updated. Thank you so much for such quick responses.

R

rish888

Yes would love to know...this kind of weird shit keeps happening to me...I should have caught it when in 2013 I wasn't able to get a sin number as they said I already had one from before which is what I use now.
You gotta love it when Service Canada knows who you are but Immigration has no clue.