+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
To be fair the whole thing was rushed and was ultimately down to luck. If this was done last year I wouldn't have been able to apply as I only took a language test when I wanted to get into a FSW pool in October of last year.

Actually, I remember thinking how unfortunate I was because I completed my masters degree on the week the pandemic started, my study permit extension application was delayed by over six weeks meaning I couldn't work or apply for pgwp while international students at the time could work full time due to the public policy, lost an employment as a result and had to start looking for a skilled full-time job which I didn't get until November last year.

It is also not lost on me that there are more qualified people in the country who couldn't apply because they didn't have a language test, and that is more a failing of IRCC than it is the fault of people who had their tests but were less skilled.

In all, I hope there will be an easier path for most of those very skilled (PhD etc) applicants who couldn't get it in the nearest future.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I am sorry but I disagree,
I don't mean to be disrespectful and I understand your frustration but, the Canadian government is assisting us with this program.

Think of it this way, one day, you make food for a hundred people, only 100. Then, unfortunately, some people arrived late because of traffic, work, whatever, and they were left without a meal. How would you feel if they got upset at you?

And I know it's easy for me to say this because I got a spot and fingers crossed, I get my PR. I also understand the struggle of being an immigrant in this great country and being worried about having to go back to your country and leaving everything you've worked behind. I'm sure that this will not be the first nor the last program and I'm sure that you and many others will be able to apply, get your PR and eventually, your citizenship.

Keep your head up guys, and I wish you the very best of lucks.

And again, I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything. I just see this as an opportunity that Canada was kind enough to give to us., I am also very sorry that you and many others had to go through this and I wish you the best.
But that would also be down to luck. Especially if, like in your example, 30 of those 100 people threw their meals away. This is what I find so irritating here - we know there are ineligible people who applied, because they didn't even organize that properly. If you are making food for 100 people, sure you want all the food to be used and not thrown away? Because this is what is happening here.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Fingers crossed,
if anything, I think it will make them easier.... less applicants!!
No, because if they resume FSW draws, then CEC applicants will have to compete with outland ones and the scores will skyrocket. Which was the main reason CEC-eligible (or soon eligible) people applied to the new stream. Nobody could risk that.

But I would like for you to be right about this!

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
She works on a semester to semester basis. They typically announce jobs for next semesters early, but the university was restructuring so they only announced it in April. She went from not knowing whether she would have a job in May to securing employment in the new academic year. It's just how it goes with university instructors.

It doesn't matter. This was her situation. Someone else had something different. You can't expect people to pay for medicals and language tests "just in case" something comes up. Which illustrates my original point: they are pitting people against each other, while this was on them. They are the ones who organized this sloppily. They didn't even check for language test results in the end, which means that ineligible people could go through. This is on them.

Again, nothing against you or anyone else who got to apply. I just hope they will not make things more difficult for CEC candidates in the future.
I understand now. Your wife' situation is a bit tricky. But for the other people who complain about not having a spot for IELTS, it is not down to luck. They could have passed the test last year or at the beginning of this year (which is what I did).
I don't expect people to pay for medical exam and language test 'just in case' but this is a risk that they need to take if they really want to immigrate. I'm far from being rich so I know how stressful it was for me to pay for all of this without knowing if the government was going to resume the FSW draws. In the end, it payed because of this new program.

I also agree that they should have asked for the test results code (or whatever it's called) like it is the case to register for EE.

Anyway, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just wanted to share my opinion.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
It is also not lost on me that there are more qualified people in the country who couldn't apply because they didn't have a language test, and that is more a failing of IRCC than it is the fault of people who had their tests but were less skilled.
I agree. This is what I've been saying the whole time. They (IRCC) organized this sloppily. It is not about being skilled or not - I am not classist; I am glad that Canada finally recognized how important "unskilled" jobs are for the everyday functioning of a society. At the end of the day, those people are not in the same stream as my wife. I am not talking about any eligible candidate. I am talking about how bad they organized all of this. For example, they will receive so many ineligible applications because they didn't implement a check system for language test. As a result, many eligible people didn't get to apply. Etc. etc.

Reactions: Anya833

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I understand now. Your wife' situation is a bit tricky. But for the other people who complain about not having a spot for IELTS, it is not down to luck. They could have passed the test last year or at the beginning of this year (which is what I did).
I don't expect people to pay for medical exam and language test 'just in case' but this is a risk that they need to take if they really want to immigrate. I'm far from being rich so I know how stressful it was for me to pay for all of this without knowing if the government was going to resume the FSW draws. In the end, it payed because of this new program.

I also agree that they should have asked for the test results code (or whatever it's called) like it is the case to register for EE.

Anyway, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just wanted to share my opinion.
No, it is Ok. I feel we might have misunderstood each other or interpreted "luck" differently. I do feel that it is not fair for IRCC to have us pitted against each other when it's their sloppy handling of the whole thing that is causing the most issues here. My wife works in a skilled job, but graduates who work in C and D jobs couldn't even think about PR, and then this was announced suddenly. It was down to luck for them, too, who got to schedule a test, etc.

In the end, they will get so many ineligible applications and I don't see how this was in anyone's favour. I doubt all they wanted was to collect application fees. They miscalculated the chaos over the language test, I feel.

Jorgerdz91

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
No, because if they resume FSW draws, then CEC applicants will have to compete with outland ones and the scores will skyrocket. Which was the main reason CEC-eligible (or soon eligible) people applied to the new stream. Nobody could risk that.

But I would like for you to be right about this!
I see what you're saying but, correct me if I'm wrong, you probably know more about this than I do, even if they resumed FSW, they still need to do CEC draws, and most of the candidates, if not 99%, are inland applicants.

Also, their goal is to give 400k PRs per year (1.2million in 3 years), as of now, they've only given (again, correct me if I'm wrong) less than 100k. They still have to give out 300k PRs this year. Im confident that they will be more accessible with their next programs.

Again SatNight, I wish you and your wife the best, same for all of the other candidates as well.

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
No, it is Ok. I feel we might have misunderstood each other or interpreted "luck" differently. I do feel that it is not fair for IRCC to have us pitted against each other when it's their sloppy handling of the whole thing that is causing the most issues here. My wife works in a skilled job, but graduates who work in C and D jobs couldn't even think about PR, and then this was announced suddenly. It was down to luck for them, too, who got to schedule a test, etc.

In the end, they will get so many ineligible applications and I don't see how this was in anyone's favour. I doubt all they wanted was to collect application fees. They miscalculated the chaos over the language test, I feel.
Thay would be a good way for the government to make a lot of money easily though. Using unprepared applicants as “pigs”.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Thay would be a good way for the government to make a lot of money easily though. Using unprepared applicants as “pigs”.
Ha! But I didn't want to suggest a conspiracy theory. I do *not* think this was the idea behind it. I just feel they miscalculated all the chaos with the language tests. But it is true that they will get a lot of ineligible applications.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I see what you're saying but, correct me if I'm wrong, you probably know more about this than I do, even if they resumed FSW, they still need to do CEC draws, and most of the candidates, if not 99%, are inland applicants.

Also, their goal is to give 400k PRs per year (1.2million in 3 years), as of now, they've only given (again, correct me if I'm wrong) less than 100k. They still have to give out 300k PRs this year. Im confident that they will be more accessible with their next programs.

Again SatNight, I wish you and your wife the best, same for all of the other candidates as well.
As things are going at the moment, there are CEC-only draws and the scores are low. However, when they resume FSW, all people will be in the same poll. CEC candidates competing directly with FSW, and not in a usual way, but against months and months of accumulated FSW candidates. The scores needed to get an ITA will skyrocket. This is my main concern. Without that, I wouldn't be worried.

Reactions: Mae.Will

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
That confuses me. I thought that we have to be employed only when we submit our application. If I knew this, I would try to get another contract earlier than this June :/
I don't think there is a requirement to be working at the time your application is approved. I know chatty lawyer talked about it, but they never mentioned it anywhere. The only post-application condition is to be in Canada when you are approved.

Reactions: _olivka_

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
I gotta say, the chatty lawyer is what I thought he was, just another shady lawyer. A lot of info he was putting forth ended up being contradicted by the official checklist, and also I don't see how his $300 "course" could've helped anyone considering the checklist was released for everyone to see, and the 40,000 submissions were done in a day.

jasonpham

May 7, 2021
Hello guys, I submitted my application with a confirmation email. I checked my account today and tried to viewed some files, but there were some I could not download. Is it an error from the portal or something else?

_olivka_

May 7, 2021
I don't think there is a requirement to be working at the time your application is approved. I know chatty lawyer talked about it, but they never mentioned it anywhere. The only post-application condition is to be in Canada when you are approved.
I am relieved. I couldn't see any condition about being employed during the processing times in the guide. However, as we all know, when the guide was initially released, there were inconsistencies like signing/not signing the IRCC forms. So, I am anxious about it.