+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

nagn

Oct 17, 2019
Employment is a basic requirement of eligibility so I could see not providing it causing a problem.
Thank you for the reply! in the case they do decide to reject my application, would I be able to appeal the decision, seeing that I was not being untruthful and made an honest mistake?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I just think that the gap between CEC and FSW is too large to be considered a competition. CEC applicants and FSW bring to Canada very different things.

Express Entry is flawed, and this comes from long before covid, in 2019, in a matter of a few months average cutoff scores went from 440's to 470's for all-program draws and have stayed like that ever since. The backlog now is bigger and if you look at the current composition of the pool, you don't need a PhD to figure out that once FSW draws resume we'll get the highest cutoff score ever for an all-program draw.

Future CEC applicants who couldn't get their 1 year before this happens, will have to wait for months until scores go back to the 460's.
I agree. This is why we hope that they would do something not to disadvantage CEC candidates. Our issue is age, but even younger CEC candidates will not be able to compete. If they resume FSW draws, my wife's only option is French, which she is not keen on doing because her language knowledge is below the level they require. True, there are 6 months to dedicate to extensive language learning, but it feels - yes, unfair - to have to do that just because they handled this stream so poorly (announced it late, didn't check for language test results, etc.) Furthermore, she would much rather focus on her job than extensive language learning atm.

Reactions: Mae.Will

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
I just want to say something about the stream. I don't like how we were pitted against each other, to the point of deciding who is more "worthy" of getting a PR. Let's face it: the stream was announced in the last minute, and it was mainly down to luck (who had language results ready, who managed to book a spot, etc.) I can't fault anyone who happened to have their language results ready. Furthermore, these are all university graduates - not "low skill" immigrants. Just because someone happens to work at a fast food joint at the moment, doesn't mean they are low skill.

However, I feel that there was something profoundly unfair about this stream. It was announced last minute and many highly skilled immigrants who have NOC 0, A or B jobs didn't get to apply. Because of this, I feel the only fair thing to do would be to keep CEC-only draws in the future or to make application easier for these candidates. Don't leave us hanging just because we didn't happen to have our language test ready on the day this stream opened. My wife has a PhD from a Canadian university and teaches at the university. She is highly qualified and with a skilled job all throughout the pandemic. And I know she is not alone in terms of highly skilled candidates that we know Canada wants to attract. I feel these candidates deserve a chance to apply and not to have to compete with months of outland candidates and unreasonably high scores.
I couldn't agree more! This was a joke, what they did. And why stretch the stream until 5th of Nov... You know what this reminded me off? Hunger Games movie. Just sick!

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
@Anya833 I agree. Let's just hope they don't disadvantage CEC candidates in the next months. That's all I can say to this. Do you speak French? That is the only option left, unless they decide to release spots taken by ineligible people. (Which I don't think would happen).

Jasimshafeek

Oct 24, 2017
Okay everybody that is freaking out because they forgot to attach a document, or not sure the format of the documents, etc - I know this is stressful, but relax!
There is nothing we can do once it's submitted, so be thankful that you were able to submit it before the cap was filled. And try to relax (I know it's easier said than done).

I also missed a document - I didnt upload my transcripts, I only uploaded my degree and letter of completion because I didn't have my transcripts.

I'm sure IRCC will understand that we only had a day to gather documents and fill out forms. So, let's hope they ask for documents (if necessary) instead of refusing applications. There are thousands of applicants who have missed a document or didn't upload everything asked. So I would like to believe that they will be understanding of this.

Now we wait. Good luck to everyone!
You made my day

Reactions: jettiemeister

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
I just want to say something about the stream. I don't like how we were pitted against each other, to the point of deciding who is more "worthy" of getting a PR. Let's face it: the stream was announced in the last minute, and it was mainly down to luck (who had language results ready, who managed to book a spot, etc.) I can't fault anyone who happened to have their language results ready. Furthermore, these are all university graduates - not "low skill" immigrants. Just because someone happens to work at a fast food joint at the moment, doesn't mean they are low skill.

However, I feel that there was something profoundly unfair about this stream. It was announced last minute and many highly skilled immigrants who have NOC 0, A or B jobs didn't get to apply. Because of this, I feel the only fair thing to do would be to keep CEC-only draws in the future or to make application easier for these candidates. Don't leave us hanging just because we didn't happen to have our language test ready on the day this stream opened. My wife has a PhD from a Canadian university and teaches at the university. She is highly qualified and with a skilled job all throughout the pandemic. And I know she is not alone in terms of highly skilled candidates that we know Canada wants to attract. I feel these candidates deserve a chance to apply and not to have to compete with months of outland candidates and unreasonably high scores.
I've been following this thread for a while now and I understand your opinion but I don't totally agree.

I applied to the French Speaker: Essential, Non Health-care stream so I wasn't under the same pressure as most of the people here but I think it is partially wrong to say that the system is unfair because "many highly skilled immigrants... didn't get to apply".
The new program is basically the CEC stream but with more NOC considered qualified. The government was clear that they are doing this program because they are lacking workers in essential position, in majority held by immigrants. So we are not talking about skilled or not skilled but essential and that's an important difference.
The Government is simply assuming that if you graduated from an Canadian University, you will get a qualified job during your PGWP and apply to CEC (which is exactly the purpose of the CEC program in the first place and the 'regular' way to get the PR). It is even more true if you have a PhD.
I am in the EE FSW pool since February with a CRS score of 527 and that's why I had most of my documents ready as well as my IELTS, TEF, Medical Exam and Police Certificate. Many of those who applied were in a similar situation, but I don't think they stole the PR from skilled immigrants.

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
@Anya833 I agree. Let's just hope they don't disadvantage CEC candidates in the next months. That's all I can say to this. Do you speak French? That is the only option left, unless they decide to release spots taken by ineligible people. (Which I don't think would happen).
No sadly I don't speak French. If Canada wants to get more people in and give them PR's, they need to focus on inland applicants and keep the CEC points low! We are already in the country, we are working full time throughout this pandemic and we are paying taxes. We deserve PR's. All I can say is that this 40.000 stream was a real shits storm and nothing more, half of the applications will probably get rejected. I feel for your wife and I'll pray for all of us.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I've been following this thread for a while now and I understand your opinion but I don't totally agree.

I applied to the French Speaker: Essential, Non Health-care stream so I wasn't under the same pressure as most of the people here but I think it is partially wrong to say that the system is unfair because "many highly skilled immigrants... didn't get to apply".
The new program is basically the CEC stream but with more NOC considered qualified. The government was clear that they are doing this program because they are lacking workers in essential position, in majority held by immigrants. So we are not talking about skilled or not skilled but essential and that's an important difference.
The Government is simply assuming that if you graduated from an Canadian University, you will get a qualified job during your PGWP and apply to CEC (which is exactly the purpose of the CEC program in the first place and the 'regular' way to get the PR). It is even more true if you have a PhD.
I am in the EE FSW pool since February with a CRS score of 527 and that's why I had most of my documents ready as well as my IELTS, TEF, Medical Exam and Police Certificate. Many of those who applied were in a similar situation, but I don't think they stole the PR from skilled immigrants.
The stream was unfair nor because of the eligibility requirements but because it was announced last minute. It was down to luck and more akin to lottery.

EDIT: I am not talking about skilled or unskilled; these are all university graduates who are skilled by definition. I am talking about the fact that people were not given enough time to prepare. It was down to pure luck whether you had your language tests ready or other documents.

My entire point was that they better not disadvantage CEC applicants who didn't get to reply just because they didn't have a language test ready. Yes, I know they saw this as a stream that should have attracted a different crowd than people who are (or are soon to be) eligible for CEC, but because they are poor with communication, no CEC candidate could afford to skip this stream because nobody wants to compete with FSW candidates. Which is, again, unfair. It is unfair because it IS down to luck over who happened to have all documents ready at a time they announced this stream.

Last edited:

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
No sadly I don't speak French. If Canada wants to get more people in and give them PR's, they need to focus on inland applicants and keep the CEC points low! We are already in the country, we are working full time throughout this pandemic and we are paying taxes. We deserve PR's. All I can say is that this 40.000 stream was a real shits storm and nothing more, half of the applications will probably get rejected. I feel for your wife and I'll pray for all of us.
I agree that they should do something as to not make it unfair for all CEC candidates. We are talking about people who worked in skilled jobs during the pandemic and who should not be unfairly disadvantaged by having to compete with FSW candidates. I hope changes to EE stream will reflect that.

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
The stream was unfair nor because of the eligibility requirements but because it was announced last minute. It was down to luck and more akin to lottery.

My entire point was that they better not disadvantage CEC applicants who didn't get to reply just because they didn't have a language test ready. Yes, I know they saw this as a stream that should have attracted a different crowd than people who are (or are soon to be) eligible for CEC, but because they are poor with communication, no CEC candidate could afford to skip this stream because nobody wants to compete with FSW candidates. Which is, again, unfair. It is unfair because it IS down to luck over who happened had all documents ready at a time they announced this stream.
I agree that it was really unfair to release the guide last minute. A lot of stress and a lot of spots have been taken by applicants who don't qualified but they didn't know it because they were too lazy to read the requirements. I totally agree with you on that point.

But again, it is not down to luck. If you are applying for the PR, whatever stream or program, you know what you need to do (IELTS and/or TEF, Medical Exam, Police certificat, etc...). The government didn't announced anything about FSW but I still passed the medical exam and passed my language exams "just in case". It is not down to luck because those are things you could have prepared a long time ago (IELTS is valid for 2 years).
I understand your position and the situation is extremely frustrating but it is definitely not down to luck.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I agree that it was really unfair to release the guide last minute. A lot of stress and a lot of spots have been taken by applicants who don't qualified but they didn't know it because they were too lazy to read the requirements. I totally agree with you on that point.

But again, it is not down to luck. If you are applying for the PR, whatever stream or program, you know what you need to do (IELTS and/or TEF, Medical Exam, Police certificat, etc...). The government didn't announced anything about FSW but I still passed the medical exam and passed my language exams "just in case". It is not down to luck because those are things you could have prepared a long time ago (IELTS is valid for 2 years).
I understand your position and the situation is extremely frustrating but it is definitely not down to luck.
How is the date of your language exam not down to luck? My wife literally learned that she will be eligible for CEC in the first week of April. How is that not down to luck? We literally learned we would be eligible for PR a week before this new program was announced.

Jorgerdz91

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019

I am sorry but I disagree,
I don't mean to be disrespectful and I understand your frustration but, the Canadian government is assisting us with this program.

Think of it this way, one day, you make food for a hundred people, only 100. Then, unfortunately, some people arrived late because of traffic, work, whatever, and they were left without a meal. How would you feel if they got upset at you?

And I know it's easy for me to say this because I got a spot and fingers crossed, I get my PR. I also understand the struggle of being an immigrant in this great country and being worried about having to go back to your country and leaving everything you've worked behind. I'm sure that this will not be the first nor the last program and I'm sure that you and many others will be able to apply, get your PR and eventually, your citizenship.

Keep your head up guys, and I wish you the very best of lucks.

And again, I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything. I just see this as an opportunity that Canada was kind enough to give to us., I am also very sorry that you and many others had to go through this and I wish you the best.

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
How is the date of your language exam not down to luck? My wife literally learned that she will be eligible for CEC in the first week of April. How is that not down to luck? We literally learned we would be eligible for PR a week before this new program was announced.
How can she learned that she will be eligible for CEC, only in April? Because if she was planning to apply for CEC, she knew when she would meet the 1 year of work experience requirement and she would have planned the IELTS exam before they announced the new program. I might be wrong in regard to your situation as I don't know all the detail but it sounds like that's something that people can plan. I apologize if I am missing an important information that would help me understand your case.
If you're talking about now and how difficult it is to get a date to pass IELTS, then yes it is mostly down to luck. But IELTS is part of every immigration program in Canada so it's definitely something you can plan.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
How can she learned that she will be eligible for CEC, only in April? Because if she was planning to apply for CEC, she knew when she would meet the 1 year of work experience requirement and she would have planned the IELTS exam before they announced the new program. I might be wrong in regard to your situation as I don't know all the detail but it sounds like that's something that people can plan. I apologize if I am missing an important information that would help me understand your case.
If you're talking about now and how difficult it is to get a date to pass IELTS, then yes it is mostly down to luck. But IELTS is part of every immigration program in Canada so it's definitely something you can plan.
She works on a semester to semester basis. They typically announce jobs for next semesters early, but the university was restructuring so they only announced it in April. She went from not knowing whether she would have a job in May to securing employment in the new academic year. It's just how it goes with university instructors.

It doesn't matter. This was her situation. Someone else had something different. You can't expect people to pay for medicals and language tests "just in case" something comes up. Which illustrates my original point: they are pitting people against each other, while this was on them. They are the ones who organized this sloppily. They didn't even check for language test results in the end, which means that ineligible people could go through. This is on them.

Again, nothing against you or anyone else who got to apply. I just hope they will not make things more difficult for CEC candidates in the future.

Jorgerdz91

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
She works on a semester to semester basis. They typically announce jobs for next semesters early, but the university was restructuring so they only announced it in April. She went from not knowing whether she would have a job in May to securing employment in the new academic year. It's just how it goes with university instructors.

It doesn't matter. This was her situation. Someone else had something different. You can't expect people to pay for medicals and language tests "just in case" something comes up. Which illustrates my original point: they are pitting people against each other, while this was on them. They are the ones who organized this sloppily. They didn't even check for language test results in the end, which means that ineligible people could go through. This is on them.

Again, nothing against you or anyone else who got to apply. I just hope they will not make things more difficult for CEC candidates in the future.
Fingers crossed,
if anything, I think it will make them easier.... less applicants!!

Reactions: SatNight