+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Just finished my IELTS today.
Note: If someone wants to go cross province to get one done, follow the provincial rules aka "quarantine"
Someone came from Ontario, and was sent away since you need to quarantine for 14 days as per provincial guidelines.
What province was this?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
If it had to be a full-time job, I think they would've said that. Just like they would've said that you need a skilled (NOC 0, A or B) job if this is what they wanted.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

melimelo

Apr 19, 2021
No permit required

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

• (f) if they are a full-time student, on the campus of the university or college at which they are a full-time student, for the period for which they hold a study permit to study at that university or college;
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html
So If I understand, full time student can apply if they already have a diploma from a canadian university and they are working ?

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
So If I understand, full time student can apply if they already have a diploma from a canadian university and they are working ?
This is what they said in April 12 Public policy
  1. Be employed in Canada with a valid permit or authorization to work pursuant to the Act and Regulations at the time the application for permanent residence is received and must not be self-employed, unless working as a medical doctor in a fee-for-service arrangement with a health authority. The employment must meet the definition of work under subsection 73 (2) of the Regulations .
Therefore, PGWP (or WP) is a must have, not a study permit. After graduated, you may apply for PGWP.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
This is what they said in April 12 Public policy
  1. Be employed in Canada with a valid permit or authorization to work pursuant to the Act and Regulations at the time the application for permanent residence is received and must not be self-employed, unless working as a medical doctor in a fee-for-service arrangement with a health authority. The employment must meet the definition of work under subsection 73 (2) of the Regulations .
Therefore, PGWP (or WP) is a must have, not a study permit. After graduated, you may apply for PGWP.
Okay but technically a study permit is an authorization to work in many cases.. it's not clear but we'll know in May.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
Anyone here that could be potentially qualified for both the graduates stream and EE? Which one would you go with?
I already have IELTS score on hand and I will reach 1 year of work experience in July. My EE score will be around 463.

Pros of new stream:
  • Less documents to provide
  • Don't need to wait in the pool
  • Can start application a few weeks earlier than EE
Cons of new stream:
  • Unpredictable system that might crash
  • So many uncertainties since there hasn't been detailed instruction
  • Not sure about the processing time, might be longer than EE
  • Can't travel while it's getting processed (I assume?)
What do you guys think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anyone here that could be potentially qualified for both the graduates stream and EE? Which one would you go with?
I already have IELTS score on hand and I will reach 1 year of work experience in July. My EE score will be around 463.

Pros of new stream:
  • Less documents to provide
  • Don't need to wait in the pool
  • Can start application a few weeks earlier than EE
Cons of new stream:
  • Unpredictable system that might crash
  • So many uncertainties since there hasn't been detailed instruction
  • Not sure about the processing time, might be longer than EE
  • Can't travel while it's getting processed (I assume?)
What do you guys think?
Another Pro is:
- There might not be another CEC specific draw and your score is too low for a general draw

Reactions: Riri15

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
Another Pro is:
- There might not be another CEC specific draw and your score is too low for a general draw
Yea you are right that my score is not high enough for a general draw. And because it's now impossible to get another IELTS test, I can't really improve my score.
However, looking at past CEC draw history, there's been consistently at least 1 draw per month, and the cut-off score is also getting lower and lower. Hopefully the new stream won't affect CEC draw quota...

Reactions: rambag98

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Exact same situation, I'll be eligible for EE on May 15th with a high CRS score and in anticipation I already had all the documents ready when the new streams were announced.

It's been hinted this program will be fast-tracked as it's meant to help meet the 2021 immigration quota.

"With an accelerated pathway to permanent residency, these special public policies will encourage essential temporary workers and international graduates to put down roots in Canada and help us retain the talented workers we need, particularly in our health-care system."
CEC is more predictable and there's lot of documentation online, but nowadays the processing times are not guaranteed. Some January applicants already got their PR while there's some people from May 2020 still waiting. Also there have been some changes announced for Express Entry, we don't know what those changes are going to be like and. whether it'll make it easier or more difficult for us.

I have the feeling these new streams are IRCC's way to tell "Hey, this might be your last chance to apply for PR before we change the system all over again." Covid-19 has exposed Express Entry's flaws, for how long will those CEC-only draws keep going? How much is the minimum CRS score going to decrease? If you look at the current composition of the EE pool, as soon as FSW opens the cutoff scores are going to skyrocket.

Last edited:

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
Exact same situation, I'll be eligible for EE on May 15th with a high CRS score and in anticipation I already had all the documents ready when the new streams were announced.

It's been hinted this program will be fast-tracked as it's meant to help meet the 2021 immigration quota.

CEC is more predictable and there's lot of documentation online, but nowadays the processing times are not guaranteed. Some January applicants already got their PR while there's some people from May 2020 still waiting.
Logically the new stream should be processed relatively fast, since many graduates' PGWP will expire very soon. How are they supposed to be in Canada when the PR is approved if their PGWP is expired?

On the other hand, I honestly don't trust their initial estimation of processing time. They tends to overestimate their processing capability and keep extending the processing time. :confused: For example, EE used to be 6 months and now it's 8 to 10 months.