+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrant - Got G License Easy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
G1 is necessary I think unless from a few countries. It is a simple test about the rules of the road and signs in Canada. It is important that newcomers know the rules of the road in the country. An hour or two of studying and you should be fine if your English or French is good.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it necessary to obtain G1 licence before getting G licence? Or we can directly take G licence after landing?
I have 10 years of driving experience in Pakistan.
If you cannot exchange your driving licence directly (which you cannot if you have it just from Pakistan), then G1 is a must. But trust me that one is least of your worries. All you need it to read the booklet (and maybe not even that, just find few apps. with free online tests and drill those questions).
Another good thing is that you can take it as many time as you want (or as you manage to turn around). There is no limit on how many times you can fail G1. It is just additional money drain but nothing else.

So G1 will be the least of your worries there.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

hussain-lala

Nov 7, 2013
Hello, I used to fret over how to get the Canadian driving license after moving here. Turns out it wasn't really much of a hassle.

I'm from Pakistan and have about 20 years of driving experience. You only need 2/3 years for attempting the full G.

I made sure my Pakistani driving license was renewed and had ample expiry date before I left Pakistan. I downloaded the drivers license verification form from the Pakistani embassy website in Toronto. This form is available at almost every country's embassy website (if not available online you can go in person and pick it up). I printed and filled it out, went to Pakistani consulate in Toronto and submitted it. It was a 5 minutes process and I paid 25 or 30 dollars. They told me to pick it up by end of day. Picked it up, what they basically do is go online on the Pakistani MTO and input my drivers license number. Once they see that the license is indeed genuine and the driving experience that I am claiming is legit they sign and stamp it and give it back. This document becomes your official drivers experience letter and is acceptable by Canadian driving authorities. No need to run around in your country of origin explaining you need an experience letter, it can be done here and is quite routine for embassies.

I downloaded an App called G1 Genius and spent 5/6 hours using it and scanned the course book.

The following morning went to drive test, took a token and waited for my turn for about two hours. On my turn at the counter gave their fees and told them I wanted to claim driving experience and give the G1. They asked for my original Pakistani license and the original driving experience letter from the embassy. Gave both, they entered the details in the system, did an eye test and told me to go give my G1 at the end of the room. Went the G1 section which is basically two dozen touch screen computers in a small room with everyone concentrating hard on the screens. The lady at the counter there took my documents and assigned me a computer. The G1 test is in 2 parts of 20 questions each. You can get 4 wrong in each test. Part 1&2 you have to get 16 right each. You cannot get 17 right in 1st part and 15 right in the 2nd part. 16 right each are required to pass. The test is available in many languages. I gave it in English but the options were awesome. Cantonese, Punjabi, Hindi etc.

REMEMBER: You can drive for a couple of months after moving/landing on your home/international license but once you give the G1 you cannot use any other license and are bound by all G1 conditions. I.e you can drive to the drive test center legally in your rental but once you pass the G1 you cannot drive back without a full G driver with 4 years + of experience sitting next to you!

The first part was mostly road signs and the second part was road situations and knowledge of driving laws. It was pretty easy. I got 20/20 right in the first part but 17/20 in the second. Passed! The only reason I got 3 wrong was I didn't read the books properly. I just spent 5 hours on the app and an hour on the book. Read the two books cover to cover twice, practice with the app for a couple of hours and you will surely pass. Most new immigrants that fail are the more experienced overconfident drivers thinking they know it all. They don't study hence fail. Put about 15-20 hours into it, you will pass with flying colors and also increase your knowledge about Canadian driving laws.

As soon as I got done, went to the lady on the counter and she said congratulations you passed and printed out a paper G1 license for me. She said I will get the card in the mail in a couple of weeks, till then the temporary license will be valid.

Also I remember I read somewhere that the drive test people keep your countries license. Not in my case nor with anyone else there. They simply kept it for the duration I was at the counter and gave it back to me once I was in their system for the G1 test.

As soon as I got the G1 I paid my fee and got an appointment for the full G. I had both options I could either give a G2 or a full G. I went for the full G. Although I have been driving all over the world for 20 + years I took the test seriously and took two hours driving classes from an instructor. His lessons were very useful, it's like polishing off your skill and learning exactly what the driving examiner is looking for. I'm glad I took them.

On the test date, I had a friend with a reliable car drive me to the test center. I arrived 45 minutes early and got in line to sign myself in. The lady at the counter told me she just had a cancellation and would I like to test right now? I said sure, I told them my car plate and the parking spot number I was in and went and sat in my car. I made sure to reverse park it, why not make things easier getting started ?

The lady taking the exam came out after 5 minutes. Asked me turn on the right and left signals to see if they were working properly and then the brake lights. Then came and sat in my car. I already had my seat belt on when she sat in. Told me to scan my driving form that she had and that they were no mistakes. She then told me you are giving the highway test and asked me how many times have I been on the highway in the past 3 months. I told her more than 15. All was well and we started the test. It's very important btw that you have experience driving on the highway before you attempt the G. In the car in front of me there was a girl who was attempting her G as well, the examiner came and sat with her and asked the same questions as me presumably but I think she was nervous and mistakenly answered that she had been on the highway 2/3 times in the last 3 months. The examiner failed her right there even before she started the car and left. So make sure you have the required experience and remember to answer correctly. My test started, I had tried to preempt the test by going on line and seeing which routes that particular driving test center usually tested. I did a trail run of those routes before the exam. Funnily enough the examiner went in a completely different direction.

The test lasted about 45 minutes. We did the driving around town, 3 point turn, parallel park and emergency braking and finally the highway test. The highway test was probably the easiest part, all you have to do is get on the highway at a speed between 90-99, merge with the traffic safely, change lanes twice and safely get off. One more time of this and you're done. You're not supposed to talk to the examiner, only say Yes if you understand and No, can you please explain again if you don't understand the instructions he/she is giving.

I drove back with her to the drive test center, she told me I passed and had 0 big mistakes. I had some minor mistakes of which you are allowed some. She congratulated me and asked me to go inside and get my full G license ! :)

Inside I went to line with beaming happy faces and after getting congratulated by the lady behind the counter got a print out of my license which said G. Yeah ! :) Damn you high insurance rates!

So in a nutshell it was not difficult at all. There is just a process in place and no matter how much of a hotshot driver you think you are, take it seriously and you'll get your Full G in no time.

I got my card license in the mail about 3 weeks after I passed.
Very informative!
I will land next month on student visa. Already got international permit and letter of explanation from traffic license branch from Pakistan. Do I still need verification from embassy in Canada?

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Very informative!
I will land next month on student visa. Already got international permit and letter of explanation from traffic license branch from Pakistan. Do I still need verification from embassy in Canada?
Stamp it from ministry of foreign affairs of your country

sheenaahmed

Jun 5, 2018
Hello, I used to fret over how to get the Canadian driving license after moving here. Turns out it wasn't really much of a hassle.

I'm from Pakistan and have about 20 years of driving experience. You only need 2/3 years for attempting the full G.

I made sure my Pakistani driving license was renewed and had ample expiry date before I left Pakistan. I downloaded the drivers license verification form from the Pakistani embassy website in Toronto. This form is available at almost every country's embassy website (if not available online you can go in person and pick it up). I printed and filled it out, went to Pakistani consulate in Toronto and submitted it. It was a 5 minutes process and I paid 25 or 30 dollars. They told me to pick it up by end of day. Picked it up, what they basically do is go online on the Pakistani MTO and input my drivers license number. Once they see that the license is indeed genuine and the driving experience that I am claiming is legit they sign and stamp it and give it back. This document becomes your official drivers experience letter and is acceptable by Canadian driving authorities. No need to run around in your country of origin explaining you need an experience letter, it can be done here and is quite routine for embassies.

I downloaded an App called G1 Genius and spent 5/6 hours using it and scanned the course book.

The following morning went to drive test, took a token and waited for my turn for about two hours. On my turn at the counter gave their fees and told them I wanted to claim driving experience and give the G1. They asked for my original Pakistani license and the original driving experience letter from the embassy. Gave both, they entered the details in the system, did an eye test and told me to go give my G1 at the end of the room. Went the G1 section which is basically two dozen touch screen computers in a small room with everyone concentrating hard on the screens. The lady at the counter there took my documents and assigned me a computer. The G1 test is in 2 parts of 20 questions each. You can get 4 wrong in each test. Part 1&2 you have to get 16 right each. You cannot get 17 right in 1st part and 15 right in the 2nd part. 16 right each are required to pass. The test is available in many languages. I gave it in English but the options were awesome. Cantonese, Punjabi, Hindi etc.

REMEMBER: You can drive for a couple of months after moving/landing on your home/international license but once you give the G1 you cannot use any other license and are bound by all G1 conditions. I.e you can drive to the drive test center legally in your rental but once you pass the G1 you cannot drive back without a full G driver with 4 years + of experience sitting next to you!

The first part was mostly road signs and the second part was road situations and knowledge of driving laws. It was pretty easy. I got 20/20 right in the first part but 17/20 in the second. Passed! The only reason I got 3 wrong was I didn't read the books properly. I just spent 5 hours on the app and an hour on the book. Read the two books cover to cover twice, practice with the app for a couple of hours and you will surely pass. Most new immigrants that fail are the more experienced overconfident drivers thinking they know it all. They don't study hence fail. Put about 15-20 hours into it, you will pass with flying colors and also increase your knowledge about Canadian driving laws.

As soon as I got done, went to the lady on the counter and she said congratulations you passed and printed out a paper G1 license for me. She said I will get the card in the mail in a couple of weeks, till then the temporary license will be valid.

Also I remember I read somewhere that the drive test people keep your countries license. Not in my case nor with anyone else there. They simply kept it for the duration I was at the counter and gave it back to me once I was in their system for the G1 test.

As soon as I got the G1 I paid my fee and got an appointment for the full G. I had both options I could either give a G2 or a full G. I went for the full G. Although I have been driving all over the world for 20 + years I took the test seriously and took two hours driving classes from an instructor. His lessons were very useful, it's like polishing off your skill and learning exactly what the driving examiner is looking for. I'm glad I took them.

On the test date, I had a friend with a reliable car drive me to the test center. I arrived 45 minutes early and got in line to sign myself in. The lady at the counter told me she just had a cancellation and would I like to test right now? I said sure, I told them my car plate and the parking spot number I was in and went and sat in my car. I made sure to reverse park it, why not make things easier getting started ?

The lady taking the exam came out after 5 minutes. Asked me turn on the right and left signals to see if they were working properly and then the brake lights. Then came and sat in my car. I already had my seat belt on when she sat in. Told me to scan my driving form that she had and that they were no mistakes. She then told me you are giving the highway test and asked me how many times have I been on the highway in the past 3 months. I told her more than 15. All was well and we started the test. It's very important btw that you have experience driving on the highway before you attempt the G. In the car in front of me there was a girl who was attempting her G as well, the examiner came and sat with her and asked the same questions as me presumably but I think she was nervous and mistakenly answered that she had been on the highway 2/3 times in the last 3 months. The examiner failed her right there even before she started the car and left. So make sure you have the required experience and remember to answer correctly. My test started, I had tried to preempt the test by going on line and seeing which routes that particular driving test center usually tested. I did a trail run of those routes before the exam. Funnily enough the examiner went in a completely different direction.

The test lasted about 45 minutes. We did the driving around town, 3 point turn, parallel park and emergency braking and finally the highway test. The highway test was probably the easiest part, all you have to do is get on the highway at a speed between 90-99, merge with the traffic safely, change lanes twice and safely get off. One more time of this and you're done. You're not supposed to talk to the examiner, only say Yes if you understand and No, can you please explain again if you don't understand the instructions he/she is giving.

I drove back with her to the drive test center, she told me I passed and had 0 big mistakes. I had some minor mistakes of which you are allowed some. She congratulated me and asked me to go inside and get my full G license ! :)

Inside I went to line with beaming happy faces and after getting congratulated by the lady behind the counter got a print out of my license which said G. Yeah ! :) Damn you high insurance rates!

So in a nutshell it was not difficult at all. There is just a process in place and no matter how much of a hotshot driver you think you are, take it seriously and you'll get your Full G in no time.

I got my card license in the mail about 3 weeks after I passed.
hi - thanks for the detailed explanation
may I ask, if I have 4-6 months since my pakistani licence was issued can that duration be offset for part of the 12 months required to be G1 before you can attempt for a G2?
Do you need this embassy form or would a pakistan stamped letter of experience suffice this case

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Ok guys i have a driving license for more than 2 years from my current country of residency which is not my home country,what will i need to bring in order to issue a driving license once i move to canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok guys i have a driving license for more than 2 years from my current country of residency which is not my home country,what will i need to bring in order to issue a driving license once i move to canada
Your current license and IDP (or translation) if not in English or French. In order to be considered for getting further auto plan discounts, you need a no claims letter detailing your number of years from your car insurance company.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Your current license and IDP (or translation) if not in English or French. In order to be considered for getting further auto plan discounts, you need a no claims letter detailing your number of years from your car insurance company.
So is the idp a must if am not planning to drive till i issue a license?

Nov 16, 2015
If for example you have a UAE license but are a citizen of another country without a drivers license exchange agreement with Canada like India or Pakistan then you can take your license to the countries embassy it was issued from and get it verified. i.e take your UAE license to the UAE embassy here and have them give you a verification letter that the license is genuine and you have the years of driving experience you claim. Almost every country's embassy here in Canada does it. Drivetest will accept it as it's concerned with your driving experience and not your nationality status in your previous country of residence.

As far as car insurance / no claim letter. I did not get any credit/discount for my previous no claim record and another friend who just went though the process and got the no claim letter issued from his country had a similar experience. The only thing which affects your rates as a new driver is if you have a full G or a G2 and which area/city you live in.

As for IDP, like steaky mentioned above, you'll only need it if your current/foreign license is not in English/French. If you're not planning to drive before you get your Canadian license you don't need an IDP (which is only a translation of your country's license).

@sheenaahmed Go though this page: https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
If for example you have a UAE license but are a citizen of another country without a drivers license exchange agreement with Canada like India or Pakistan then you can take your license to the countries embassy it was issued from and get it verified. i.e take your UAE license to the UAE embassy here and have them give you a verification letter that the license is genuine and you have the years of driving experience you claim. Almost every country's embassy here in Canada does it. Drivetest will accept it as it's concerned with your driving experience and not your nationality status in your previous country of residence.

As far as car insurance / no claim letter. I did not get any credit/discount for my previous no claim record and another friend who just went though the process and got the no claim letter issued from his country had a similar experience. The only thing which affects your rates as a new driver is if you have a full G or a G2 and which area/city you live in.

As for IDP, like steaky mentioned above, you'll only need it if your current/foreign license is not in English/French. If you're not planning to drive before you get your Canadian license you don't need an IDP (which is only a translation of your country's license).

@sheenaahmed Go though this page: https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html
Thanks,if my license isnt in english or french should i translate it or should i issue an idp?also what about that letter that states my driving record is it needed?

raja1668

Feb 13, 2018
Bro if have a saudi driving license in eng but nationality is pakistani then what:s required to get G license

thanks in advance

Anaar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC requested on August 11,2015
AOR Received.
Per dated Feb 16, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
TLU in September that file is transferred to LVO on Feb 16, 2015
Med's Request
Sept 23, 2015
Med's Done....
October 07, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 28, 2015
Hi! Who did you take classes from fo the G test? How much does each class cost and number of the Instructor if you have it pls.

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Hi guys, sorry to dig up on an old thread, but what if you fail your G test after you've been given a shot at G license because of your foreign experience?