+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrant - Got G License Easy

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
hi.. sorry for digging up an old post.
I want to ask, that I have 4-6 months of my indian driving experience, now can this be offset for part of the 12 months required to be G1 before you can attempt for a G2?

Please help
Yes if you have some other countrys driving experience to add up to a today of 1 year experience atleast

Canadajobs123

Dec 29, 2019
hi.. sorry for digging up an old post.
I want to ask, that I have 4-6 months of my indian driving experience, now can this be offset for part of the 12 months required to be G1 before you can attempt for a G2?

Please help
Less than a year doesnt count. But you can offset some part of the timeline by taking a beginner driver program. I think you can reduce to 8 months,

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Depends what country you are from. I am from Scotland and had a learners permit. Came here and took written and full license test straight away.....passed first time. Swapped the UK learners for a learners here.

hitc

Feb 27, 2019
Anything less then a year will not help you much. After you get your G1, you will need to wait 12 months for G2 or 8 months if you go to a licensed driving school.
hi !!
Thanks for the reply. I want to ask one more thing that I made my license in August 2019. I will be landing in March 2020. So the 2 options which i have is:

(a) I apply for G1 as soon as i land. wait for 12 or 8 months as the case may be for G2.
(b) I wait till August 2020. and then apply for G1. Get driving extract for 1 year driving history from my country and get G2 directly.

The thing i am confused about is that if i go for option (b), will canadian authorities reject it saying that i was in canada and therefore previous driving history does not count ?

please help !!

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
Hello, I used to fret over how to get the Canadian driving license after moving here. Turns out it wasn't really much of a hassle.

I'm from Pakistan and have about 20 years of driving experience. You only need 2/3 years for attempting the full G.

I made sure my Pakistani driving license was renewed and had ample expiry date before I left Pakistan. I downloaded the drivers license verification form from the Pakistani embassy website in Toronto. This form is available at almost every country's embassy website (if not available online you can go in person and pick it up). I printed and filled it out, went to Pakistani consulate in Toronto and submitted it. It was a 5 minutes process and I paid 25 or 30 dollars. They told me to pick it up by end of day. Picked it up, what they basically do is go online on the Pakistani MTO and input my drivers license number. Once they see that the license is indeed genuine and the driving experience that I am claiming is legit they sign and stamp it and give it back. This document becomes your official drivers experience letter and is acceptable by Canadian driving authorities. No need to run around in your country of origin explaining you need an experience letter, it can be done here and is quite routine for embassies.

I downloaded an App called G1 Genius and spent 5/6 hours using it and scanned the course book.

The following morning went to drive test, took a token and waited for my turn for about two hours. On my turn at the counter gave their fees and told them I wanted to claim driving experience and give the G1. They asked for my original Pakistani license and the original driving experience letter from the embassy. Gave both, they entered the details in the system, did an eye test and told me to go give my G1 at the end of the room. Went the G1 section which is basically two dozen touch screen computers in a small room with everyone concentrating hard on the screens. The lady at the counter there took my documents and assigned me a computer. The G1 test is in 2 parts of 20 questions each. You can get 4 wrong in each test. Part 1&2 you have to get 16 right each. You cannot get 17 right in 1st part and 15 right in the 2nd part. 16 right each are required to pass. The test is available in many languages. I gave it in English but the options were awesome. Cantonese, Punjabi, Hindi etc.

REMEMBER: You can drive for a couple of months after moving/landing on your home/international license but once you give the G1 you cannot use any other license and are bound by all G1 conditions. I.e you can drive to the drive test center legally in your rental but once you pass the G1 you cannot drive back without a full G driver with 4 years + of experience sitting next to you!

The first part was mostly road signs and the second part was road situations and knowledge of driving laws. It was pretty easy. I got 20/20 right in the first part but 17/20 in the second. Passed! The only reason I got 3 wrong was I didn't read the books properly. I just spent 5 hours on the app and an hour on the book. Read the two books cover to cover twice, practice with the app for a couple of hours and you will surely pass. Most new immigrants that fail are the more experienced overconfident drivers thinking they know it all. They don't study hence fail. Put about 15-20 hours into it, you will pass with flying colors and also increase your knowledge about Canadian driving laws.

As soon as I got done, went to the lady on the counter and she said congratulations you passed and printed out a paper G1 license for me. She said I will get the card in the mail in a couple of weeks, till then the temporary license will be valid.

Also I remember I read somewhere that the drive test people keep your countries license. Not in my case nor with anyone else there. They simply kept it for the duration I was at the counter and gave it back to me once I was in their system for the G1 test.

As soon as I got the G1 I paid my fee and got an appointment for the full G. I had both options I could either give a G2 or a full G. I went for the full G. Although I have been driving all over the world for 20 + years I took the test seriously and took two hours driving classes from an instructor. His lessons were very useful, it's like polishing off your skill and learning exactly what the driving examiner is looking for. I'm glad I took them.

On the test date, I had a friend with a reliable car drive me to the test center. I arrived 45 minutes early and got in line to sign myself in. The lady at the counter told me she just had a cancellation and would I like to test right now? I said sure, I told them my car plate and the parking spot number I was in and went and sat in my car. I made sure to reverse park it, why not make things easier getting started ?

The lady taking the exam came out after 5 minutes. Asked me turn on the right and left signals to see if they were working properly and then the brake lights. Then came and sat in my car. I already had my seat belt on when she sat in. Told me to scan my driving form that she had and that they were no mistakes. She then told me you are giving the highway test and asked me how many times have I been on the highway in the past 3 months. I told her more than 15. All was well and we started the test. It's very important btw that you have experience driving on the highway before you attempt the G. In the car in front of me there was a girl who was attempting her G as well, the examiner came and sat with her and asked the same questions as me presumably but I think she was nervous and mistakenly answered that she had been on the highway 2/3 times in the last 3 months. The examiner failed her right there even before she started the car and left. So make sure you have the required experience and remember to answer correctly. My test started, I had tried to preempt the test by going on line and seeing which routes that particular driving test center usually tested. I did a trail run of those routes before the exam. Funnily enough the examiner went in a completely different direction.

The test lasted about 45 minutes. We did the driving around town, 3 point turn, parallel park and emergency braking and finally the highway test. The highway test was probably the easiest part, all you have to do is get on the highway at a speed between 90-99, merge with the traffic safely, change lanes twice and safely get off. One more time of this and you're done. You're not supposed to talk to the examiner, only say Yes if you understand and No, can you please explain again if you don't understand the instructions he/she is giving.

I drove back with her to the drive test center, she told me I passed and had 0 big mistakes. I had some minor mistakes of which you are allowed some. She congratulated me and asked me to go inside and get my full G license ! :)

Inside I went to line with beaming happy faces and after getting congratulated by the lady behind the counter got a print out of my license which said G. Yeah ! :) Damn you high insurance rates!

So in a nutshell it was not difficult at all. There is just a process in place and no matter how much of a hotshot driver you think you are, take it seriously and you'll get your Full G in no time.

I got my card license in the mail about 3 weeks after I passed.
Thank you so much dear for your efforts to fully explaining each and every thing minutely. I really appreciate. You really want that people coming to Canada should get the G license. Your sincerity is great and definitely pay you in your future life. No doubt. I am Indian and going for the G test on Thursday 17th Sept. I have conference that your text will help me to get through. Thank you once again.

fmy411

Aug 23, 2016
Hi, digging up an old post. I had a question - My partner was unable to get her license renewed before moving from Pakistan. Now, I have heard if I take the regular G1 and don't claim experience points the first time, she will be stuck in the graduated license scheme. Is it true? Or can I take the G1, and then when I go home in Jan or Feb, get my license renewed there, come back, and claim the experience at that time? This getting stuck business is a bit of a problem. The reason we would like the G1 right now is so she can at least practice here with an instructor on the road, but if that means getting stuck for 8 + 12 months before she can take the G, it might just make more sense to wait a few months.

245east84

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-04-2017
I have a license from Pakistan which I got from the Islamabad Traffic Police office in F8 back in 2018 (more than 2 years of experience), it was expiring so I got the latest one with the chip in early 2022 and I got it verified from the Pakistan Consulate in Toronto. After this, I went to the Pakistan Consulate in Toronto and got the license and experience attested using the official document.

After this, I went to the Drive Test center in Toronto but when I showed them my license and verification letter from the Pakistan consulate, they said the license was missing 'security features' meaning that it was fake. They did not accept it. I am very confused. Should I try again at another location? How can it be fake? I got it at the main Islamabad office and it is attested by the consulate.

Nov 16, 2015
I have a license from Pakistan which I got from the Islamabad Traffic Police office in F8 back in 2018 (more than 2 years of experience), it was expiring so I got the latest one with the chip in early 2022 and I got it verified from the Pakistan Consulate in Toronto. After this, I went to the Pakistan Consulate in Toronto and got the license and experience attested using the official document.

After this, I went to the Drive Test center in Toronto but when I showed them my license and verification letter from the Pakistan consulate, they said the license was missing 'security features' meaning that it was fake. They did not accept it. I am very confused. Should I try again at another location? How can it be fake? I got it at the main Islamabad office and it is attested by the consulate.
Go to another Drivetest center, if your licence is attested by the consultate they have confirmed it's genuine. Whoever was sitting at the counter was not in a receptive mood. They have no business criticising any other nations driving license 'security features' specially if the local embassy (whichever country it is) cetifies that it is original. If you hear the same nonsense from someone else ask to speak to the manager. Tell them to Google license verification for that particular country (in your case Pakistan) and tell them to enter the detail themselves and check if the license is legit or not if they question it's legitmacy.

Here's a link for your case in particular https://ict.islamabadpolice.gov.pk:4433/verification/

Most countries offer the same. Good luck.

245east84

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-04-2017
Yes, I ended up going to a second DriveTest location. The second location happily accepted my Pakistan license and verification letter and gave me full credit for my driving experience. So I will now be eligible to take the G test whenever I want (probably in August). My experience at the second location was 100% different, at the second location the lady was very friendly and respectful. She renewed my faith in Toronto which was a bit shaken after my experience in the first location where I was told my documents were basically fake. I have never presented a fake document and this was seriously unnerving for me.

I will take my G driving test at that second location as well.

Purva23

Jul 20, 2022
I had a similar experience yesterday. I have my DL and the extract but when I showed both of these at the Drive Test center, they said the DL is not accepted. I tried second Drive Test Center where they denied to accept both the extract and the DL. The reasons they provided were:
1. For DL, they were not able to scan it through the scanner provided to them
2. For the extract, the stamp is a kind of simple one that can be easily forged and they need a specific stamp with further details proving the authenticity. Though the DL extract for my spouse got accepted at first drive test center with the same stamp.
Can I try visiting the Indian Consulate in Canada or I need to get a fresh DL and extract from India itself?

Purva23

Jul 20, 2022
Yes, I ended up going to a second DriveTest location. The second location happily accepted my Pakistan license and verification letter and gave me full credit for my driving experience. So I will now be eligible to take the G test whenever I want (probably in August). My experience at the second location was 100% different, at the second location the lady was very friendly and respectful. She renewed my faith in Toronto which was a bit shaken after my experience in the first location where I was told my documents were basically fake. I have never presented a fake document and this was seriously unnerving for me.

I will take my G driving test at that second location as well.
Could you please share the details of the center you visited where they accepted your details.

245east84

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-04-2017
Could you please share the details of the center you visited where they accepted your details.
Sure, the location was the DriveTest location in Port Union