+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immgrant Can apply for Unemployment Benefit if yes how

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
CooLDUD3143 said:
Yeah cuz finding a job is so easy right im gonna get hired in about 5 seconds... Im asking for it till I land a job it automatically seizes whn i can survive on my own thts the whole point of Income Assistance Bro.......I Dont cum from a privileged family just my Air ticket costs $1100
I'm sure you're not a person who would get easily hired. You've got to improve your attitude first.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
I'm sure you're not a person who would get easily hired. You've got to improve your attitude first.
looking into further comments from CooLDUD3143 I'd say it's a fake or this person has a real issue. in either way I'd simply ignore these comments as they lead to nowhere...

CooLDUD3143

Sep 13, 2012
Dude Wht R U talking about Im Just telling it how it is man I just thought U guys were'nt being fair to Nawab Dude nd Bro Im No Fake trust me Just wait till I Arrive Im Gunna prove all Of U Wrong!!!!!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
clubcanada said:
looking into further comments from CooLDUD3143 I'd say it's a fake or this person has a real issue. in either way I'd simply ignore these comments as they lead to nowhere...
Fully agree with you, it would be just a waste of time to respond to such a person

Nawabsaheb

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks all
Who support me or making harsh comments

Some one who was a Canadian National told me about the EI that why i ask the question

any ways currently i doing survival job at Shopper Drug Mart and also looking for my professional job

Regards

Nawab Saheb

firhill

Aug 19, 2012
CooLDUD3143 said:
Yeah?? Well Im Already a Canadian Citizen and PR I did'nt give no application Im returning to Canada after 12 Years I will show my Canadian passport and enter into Canada and Yes Ontario Works Is providing every help I need to help me settle Down... BOO YEAH!!!!! :p :p :p
You left when you were two years old?

Apr 11, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It sickens and appalled me every time I heard of people who wanted to apply for unemployment benefits just because they were just bloody lazy to work. Canada is not a welfare state. Canada is just generous in helping other people but it does not necessarily mean that anyone will just make advantage of the system. There is dignity in working. There is pride in contributing to the growth of this great country of hours. If you can't stand the heat in Canada you are most welcome to come back to wherever stinking bloody hole you crawl out. This nation of ours are made up of men and women who make positive contributions for the greatest part of the society and does not include your lazy kind.

Reactions: Bhawna sharma

CooLDUD3143

Sep 13, 2012
You left when you were two years old?

No I came in 1995 lived in Edmonton till 2001 with my parents and family off course I was 11 Years old when I left now I wanna cum bak so its been 12 years...Whr do U live maybe we can help each other out??? :)

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I thought everyone was rushing to Calgary for jobs and higher pay

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
What is often referred to as "unemployment benefits" is in fact EI(employment insurance) benefits. EI is deducted from your pay and if you lose your job through no fault of yours (e.g. lay off, down-sizing, etc), you will be eligible for EI benefits. The amount of you receive is based on the past 52 weeks of work and insurable hours.

People who haven't worked at all within the past 52 weeks are not eligible for EI benefits. Even foreign workers with 'closed' work permits are not eligible for it eventhough they pay into the fund(the reason being, you have to be 'available' for work but a 'closed work permit has restrictions).

There are however other social programs like income assistance and welfare benefits that are based on need. New immigrants and Canadian citizens can apply if they need to. This is probably what the OP was referring to and would not have qualified for it at the time because he/she had about $10,000 in savings.

unitedbritishphilippines said:
It sickens and appalled me every time I heard of people who wanted to apply for unemployment benefits just because they were just bloody lazy to work. Canada is not a welfare state. Canada is just generous in helping other people but it does not necessarily mean that anyone will just make advantage of the system. There is dignity in working. There is pride in contributing to the growth of this great country of hours. If you can't stand the heat in Canada you are most welcome to come back to wherever stinking bloody hole you crawl out. This nation of ours are made up of men and women who make positive contributions for the greatest part of the society and does not include your lazy kind.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
Even foreign workers with 'closed' work permits are not eligible for it eventhough they pay into the fund(the reason being, you have to be 'available' for work but a 'closed work permit has restrictions).
Temporary foreign workers are often denied EI because of that reason but sometimes they get it and I know of such cases. One person was told by EI that they were giving him benefits because he was temporarily laid off with a known call-back date as opposed to permanently laid off.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
The funny thing is that they ask ppl to bring 10,000 CAD, my 10,000 is gone in excactly ONE MONTH. Life is VERY VERY expensive in Canada.
What nonsense! Even in some of the most expensive areas, you can easily get by for less than $2500 / month. Please stop lying and misguiding folks!

Reactions: scylla

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
hi
I landed in calgary n now looking for job in Calgary
can i apply for unemployment benefit if yes then let me know the process

thanks

Nawab Saheb
NO! And have some shame!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What nonsense! Even in some of the most expensive areas, you can easily get by for less than $2500 / month. Please stop lying and misguiding folks!
There are quite a lot of initial expenses when arriving in a new country. Just staying in temporary accommodations for a couple of weeks before you secure a lease would a be a few thousand dollars. Then you have to put down first and last month's rent, winter clothing for the family may be needed, basic furnishings for the new home or apartment, etc. It adds up very quickly.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
There are quite a lot of initial expenses when arriving in a new country. Just staying in temporary accommodations for a couple of weeks before you secure a lease would a be a few thousand dollars. Then you have to put down first and last month's rent, winter clothing for the family may be needed, basic furnishings for the new home or apartment, etc. It adds up very quickly.
Also, some rental accommodations are fiercely competitive. - Some landlords demand credit checks (new comers won't have a credit history in Canada), Some dubious landlords will skip over applications if an applicant's name looks foreign.

Most newcomers don't know how Canadian governmental services work. And when they come to a forum like this one asking advice or asking if what they are planning is the right course of action, they would be better served not to have people replying by throwing stones.

Reactions: mahi2020