Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Nawabsaheb said:
hi
I landed in calgary n now looking for job in Calgary
can i apply for unemployment benefit if yes then let me know the process

thanks

Nawab Saheb
1. No. To collect EI you must have worked in Canada a certain no. of hours before you can claim.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Applying for EI right after landing would really be an abuse of the system. Not all Canadians are entitled to it. I am self employed and do not pay into EI therefore can't claim it either. There's a lot of agencies in Calgary to help new immigrants with employment. You should give these a try.

http://employment.alberta.ca/2929.html

http://www.immigrantservicescalgary.ca/

http://www.directionsforimmigrants.ca/calgary.htm

Nawabsaheb said:
hi

thanks

Nawab Saheb

maxvol

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Nawabsaheb said:
hi

thanks

Nawab Saheb
What nonsense!! have some shame for God sake! trying to abuse the system like this, people like you have absolutely no back bone asking questions like this on an immigration forum. Get an employment and try contributing positively to society, you just arrived here for crying out loud, people like you should be sent back on a ship to the hole you originally came from.

Reactions: Anas1991

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
maxvol said:
What nonsense!! have some shame for God sake! trying to abuse the system like this, people like you have absolutely no back bone asking questions like this on an immigration forum. Get an employment and try contributing positively to society, you just arrived here for crying out loud, people like you should be sent back on a ship to the hole you originally came from.
;D Poor fella. I wonder if he thought finding a job and making a living here is easy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not get EI unless you have worked for a certain amount of time and paid into it. If you are worried about running out of money while you look for a job, you should take a survival job. That means any job that you can get fast, even if it doesn't pay much and is below your qualifications. As you are working this survival job, of course you would still continue to look for something better but at least the money coming in would allow you to survive without eating into your savings.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The funny thing is that they ask ppl to bring 10,000 CAD, my 10,000 is gone in excactly ONE MONTH. Life is VERY VERY expensive in Canada.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
10,000 in one month is pretty unreasonable, I wouldn't expect anyone on a budget to have to pay that much, especially in Ontario where it is cheap rent and food. The most I would expect to pay outside of Toronto (when renting a room in a house with hydro and cable included) would be $500 per month. Groceries are cheap and I was able to survive on $35 a week but bigger eaters or people who don't cook would spend more. Loulou you're spending way too much, especially on rent, but I'm assuming you come from a more privileged background and are used to quite a high standard of living.

Loulou79 said:
The funny thing is that they ask ppl to bring 10,000 CAD, my 10,000 is gone in excactly ONE MONTH. Life is VERY VERY expensive in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you know how much money you brought, you know what you have to do to make it last. If you spend so much money in the first month that your savings are completely gone and you are too good to take a survival job, that is not the fault of the Canadian tax payer and they do not owe you to support you after that until you find a job to your liking. For Canadians who are only making minimum wage, $10,000 has to last for 6 months.

Dave n Ailsa

Jun 8, 2012
Glasgow, Scorland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2011
Steph C said:
10,000 in one month is pretty unreasonable, I wouldn't expect anyone on a budget to have to pay that much, especially in Ontario where it is cheap rent and food. The most I would expect to pay outside of Toronto (when renting a room in a house with hydro and cable included) would be $500 per month. Groceries are cheap and I was able to survive on $35 a week but bigger eaters or people who don't cook would spend more. Loulou you're spending way too much, especially on rent, but I'm assuming you come from a more privileged background and are used to quite a high standard of living.
Servants cost a fortune these days!!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
R

rishabshanker

on a comfortable budget I and my wife lived on 2000 CAD for a month, including food, travel, housing etc. We lived in North York Toronto for 2 months when we landed. If the person who spent 10000CAD in day could elaborate on their expenses .....it would be fun to see how all that money went away in such a short while!! :) 10k CAD in one month is absolutely ridiculous!!....unless you immigrated with a family of 10 people!!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
rishabshanker said:
on a comfortable budget I and my wife lived on 2000 CAD for a month, including food, travel, housing etc. We lived in North York Toronto for 2 months when we landed. If the person who spent 10000CAD in day could elaborate on their expenses .....it would be fun to see how all that money went away in such a short while!! :) 10k CAD in one month is absolutely ridiculous!!....unless you immigrated with a family of 10 people!!
This is what I can glean from her posts, with all due respect for her. I think it's her rent that did it:

She pays 1400 a month for rent and had to pay 6 months down upfront.

She got a free promo cable offer but will have to pay $100 a month once that's up and a $400 disconnection fee is she decides to cancel ???

She's not planning to work in Canada at all.. so is being sent money by her family.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is against the law to ask for 6 months rent in advance. In Ontario, they can only ask for first and last.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Leon said:
It is against the law to ask for 6 months rent in advance. In Ontario, they can only ask for first and last.
She signed a lease. Is that any different?