+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
ramsfe said:
Hey people! That's funny! Torontosm wants to modify the canadian charter of rights!!
umm...no. I said that the Charter, and the overall constitution, can be, and has been amended in the past (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Canada).

That said, if I could amend the Constitution myself, I would do so to ensure that new immigrants understood enough about Canada to avoid embarrassing themselves by threatening to sue the government for governing.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
trunorth said:
ramsfe : just ignore him. He's just being selfish. Anyway you stop worrying! They tried to do something to this bill in 2010 and it died pretty quick.
If being selfish means caring about this country and trying to make it a better place, then its a shame that more immigrants aren't more selfish.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
If being selfish means caring about this country and trying to make it a better place, then its a shame that more immigrants aren't more selfish.

YEs trunorth, I will ignore him... but to avoid making false information travel freely : Writ of mandamus is a way to sue the government, challenging the government over non-charter abiding legislation is a basic in our democracy. Some ignorants don't know the difference between democracy and dictatoriship..... well, there you go !

Things people say make me shiver sometimes... it is really SCARY to think that in today's world people still think that the government is immune.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polarbear said:
Ok everybody,

Let's stop this fighting and arguing and lets discuss some useful things about the bill.

:D
Nobody is fighting Polarbear, there is just a parasite amongst us who got citizenship years ago and who is here to tell us that we shouldn't be as fortunate as him.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
ramsfe said:
YEs trunorth, I will ignore him... but to avoid making false information travel freely : Writ of mandamus is a way to sue the government, challenging the government over non-charter abiding legislation is a basic in our democracy. Some ignorants don't know the difference between democracy and dictatoriship..... well, there you go !

Things people say make me shiver sometimes... it is really SCARY to think that in today's world people still think that the government is immune.
I shiver at your ignorance. Mandamus can only be used to make any entity (government, private or otherwise) do something that they are obliged to do by law. It can not be used, as you asserted, to stop a government from changing the law, or to force a government to enforce a legacy law.

I am well aware of what a democracy is, and I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the same and with Canadian law before you run around making nonsensical threats.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Few Bills and their Progress pertaining to the Citizenship Act. This might explain some timelines

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/Result.aspx?BillLongTitle=citizenship&BillShortTitle=citizenship&Language=E&Mode=1

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
44$ Million has been allocated over 2 years to speed the Citizenship process.

which means,

April 2013 to March 2014

and

April 2014 to March 2015

so, returning back the citizenship applications or pausing citizenship applications doesn't make sense to me.

I think new rule will apply for future applicants.

:p

AcerAcer

Nov 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devinder_Shory

Devinder Shory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Devinder Shory
MP

Member of the Canadian Parliament
for Calgary Northeast

Incumbent
Assumed office

Preceded by
Art Hanger

Personal details

Born
August 3, 1958 (age 55)
Barnala, India

Political party
Conservative

Devinder Shory (born August 3, 1958 in Barnala, Punjab, India) is a Canadian politician, who represents the electoral district of Calgary Northeast as a federal Member of Parliament.[1] Shory held a consultation in Calgary with industry and business leaders from across Manitoba to discuss a renewal of the government's global commerce strategy.[2]

First elected in the 2008 Canadian federal election, he is a member of the Conservative Party.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Mortgage fraud accusation
2 Assault accusation
3 Electoral record
4 References
5 External links

Mortgage fraud accusation[edit]

In May 2010, he was named in a lawsuit launched by the Bank of Montreal for an alleged mortgage fraud scheme. Court documents obtained by the CBC allege Shory executed legal transactions misrepresenting the true owner of five separate properties in the Calgary area. The Bank allege its loses from the scheme at $30 million.[3][4]

Shory responded in a statement on his website ""Through media stories, it has come to my attention that I have been named in a civil matter. I want to state that I have not yet been served with a statement of claim. When I am, I will defend myself vigorously against these accusations. I have done nothing wrong. Even the BMO was quoted in the Toronto Star this evening that: 'we do not allege fraud against him.' I want to personally thank the many constituents who have already expressed their support for me and for my family."[5]

Assault accusation[edit]

In November 2010, Calgary broadcaster, Kumar Sharma, accused Shory of ripping his shirt and punching him in the right chest and left jaw on the dance floor of a house party. Shory has denied these allegations and has accused Sharma of assaulting him. Police investigated the altercation and no charges were laid.[6]

Moe...

Jul 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polarbear said:
44$ Million has been allocated over 2 years to speed the Citizenship process.

which means,

April 2013 to March 2014

and

April 2014 to March 2015

so, returning back the citizenship applications or pausing citizenship applications doesn't make sense to me.

I think new rule will apply for future applicants.

:p
I completely agree with polarbear

roarktheman

Oct 11, 2013
ramsfe said:
Well, there is a lot we can do : Like file lawsuits and sue them if they take any discriminatory measures .... we can also write letters to our deputies to tell them how much we hate this law so that they the jobs they are paid to do
Torontosm,

ramsfe said filing a lawsuit "if they take any discriminatory measures". Either you understand that statement and keep away from this discussion or we all understand your comprehension abilities.

Thank God there was no language ability assessment when you got naturalized.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
torontosm said:
File lawsuits? Really? What, is the Canadian government not allowed to change its own laws anymore? Are you going to sue the lawmakers for doing their "jobs they are paid to do"? Just because you don't like them, that doesn't many any of their actions the least bit discriminatory.

You are welcome to write all the letters you want...that is your right. However, in my view, citizenship reform is both extremely popular and long overdue and I am delighted to finally see a government step up to try and fix some of the many problems with the system.
Seriously how old are you?

Canadian government comprises 3 branches, executive, legislature and judiciary. If the executive branch represented by the prime minister approve a silly law passed by legislature, the judicial branch can strike it down..

You are not in Musharraf Pakistan

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
AcerAcer said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devinder_Shory

Devinder Shory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Devinder Shory
MP

Member of the Canadian Parliament
for Calgary Northeast

Incumbent
Assumed office

Preceded by
Art Hanger

Personal details

Born
August 3, 1958 (age 55)
Barnala, India

Political party
Conservative

Devinder Shory (born August 3, 1958 in Barnala, Punjab, India) is a Canadian politician, who represents the electoral district of Calgary Northeast as a federal Member of Parliament.[1] Shory held a consultation in Calgary with industry and business leaders from across Manitoba to discuss a renewal of the government's global commerce strategy.[2]

First elected in the 2008 Canadian federal election, he is a member of the Conservative Party.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Mortgage fraud accusation
2 Assault accusation
3 Electoral record
4 References
5 External links

Mortgage fraud accusation[edit]

In May 2010, he was named in a lawsuit launched by the Bank of Montreal for an alleged mortgage fraud scheme. Court documents obtained by the CBC allege Shory executed legal transactions misrepresenting the true owner of five separate properties in the Calgary area. The Bank allege its loses from the scheme at $30 million.[3][4]

Shory responded in a statement on his website ""Through media stories, it has come to my attention that I have been named in a civil matter. I want to state that I have not yet been served with a statement of claim. When I am, I will defend myself vigorously against these accusations. I have done nothing wrong. Even the BMO was quoted in the Toronto Star this evening that: 'we do not allege fraud against him.' I want to personally thank the many constituents who have already expressed their support for me and for my family."[5]

Assault accusation[edit]

In November 2010, Calgary broadcaster, Kumar Sharma, accused Shory of ripping his shirt and punching him in the right chest and left jaw on the dance floor of a house party. Shory has denied these allegations and has accused Sharma of assaulting him. Police investigated the altercation and no charges were laid.[6]
What has this story got to do with our immigration plight?....NE Calgary have a very dynamic Asian community that like this guy, I am sure if he is found wanting he will be shown the door.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
torontosm said:
I shiver at your ignorance. Mandamus can only be used to make any entity (government, private or otherwise) do something that they are obliged to do by law. It can not be used, as you asserted, to stop a government from changing the law, or to force a government to enforce a legacy law.

I am well aware of what a democracy is, and I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the same and with Canadian law before you run around making nonsensical threats.
Good you quickly deleted the last nonsensical post you made as it highlighted the fact that you don't engage your brain before posting comments here

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
I meant Great job with pushing the current backlog not the new Bill! I do not find anything exciting about the new Bill yet, I guess we wait and see.
1. The backlog clearance is cherry picked with a most obvious change in GTA/ Ontario. Everyone else is in the same delayed mire as before.

2. I concur that changing the timeline to 4 out of 5/6 years will be putting band aid on a festering wound...resources must be increased else the backlog will overwhelm any minor 'improvements'.

3. There is scope for real process improvements to be announced that have been implemented gradually - this must include the RQ side of things as the current head in the sand approach is adding to the backlog. Reviewing CJ oversight, pre application finger printing, 3rd party tests etc all offer scope to speed things up.

4. This is a good time to release this kind of bill given today's legal proceedings announced viz the Senate Scandal.