+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative Co-vid test required as of Jan 07, 2021 to enter Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you know what happens in 'gaps' that affect human lives? people die. it's been widely reported that this legislation was rushed through. Even on the first day that it took effect, airlines already knew many passengers were in countries that didn't have molecular tests. The federal government continued to make the claim that no exceptions would be made.
There are many countries and airlines that have required negative covid tests for months. People should be doing their research about access to tests and adjust their travel plans.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That said certain things can be done remotely but were never recognized. Despite technology advancement.
Proxy weddings used to be Recognized by Canada. They also tend to involve arranged marriages and there was also concern that both parties may not be consenting. In general it was to difficult to determine what were real marriages so proxy marriages were no longer recognized. It has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with determining whether the relationship is real and a step in trying to make sure both parties are consenting to the marriage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So do you extend it another 24hrs? The whole point is to try to stop any people with covid who may not be symptomatic from boarding a plane. 72 hours in the standard based on all the other countries and airlines. Given that a large majority of the travel isn’t essential I don’t think most will emphasize. I know I have remained home with no contact outside my bubble.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So do you extend it another 24hrs? The whole point is to try to stop any people with covid who may not be symptomatic from boarding a plane. 72 hours in the standard based on all the other countries and airlines. Given that a large majority of the travel isn’t essential I don’t think most will emphasize. I know I have remained home with no contact outside my bubble.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Rapid tests are still offered at many places including Canada and I would suggest that anyone arriving in Canada take a test but one can not count on the results. Even with the PCR test you are only negative at the time of the test but the test doesn’t have a large false negative rate. Please google before replying many of my posts.
Rapid covid tests have a large false negative rate which is why Canada and others require PCR tests. You are the one seeking out my posts and commenting.

https://www.ft.com/content/419e682b-3092-4097-a668-26d263179a76
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4941

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need to make double post.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Proxy weddings used to be Recognized by Canada. They also tend to involve arranged marriages and there was also concern that both parties may not be consenting. In general it was to difficult to determine what were real marriages so proxy marriages were no longer recognized. It has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with determining whether the relationship is real and a step in trying to make sure both parties are consenting to the marriage.
No one said anything about proxy weddings except yourself.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
If your spouse isn’t traveling with you then yes you should be quarantining separately. The whole point of quarantining is not to pass on covid to other people. Although the website doesn’t explicitly say that you shouldn’t remain with a spouse it says things like you should not quarantine with someone in a small apartment. You an remain in the same home if there is something like a basement. It is just common sense and basic public health principles Quarantining is supposed to reduce the exposure to anyone but the traveller. Exposing the spouse if they hadn’t travelled would add one more potential patient which could not only harm the person but could create uneccessary demand on the health system.
It is only recommendation. You can stay with your spouse who travelled at the same residence provided it is spacious. And the spouse who didn't travel may choose not to quarantine themselves and keep going as usual..At least 98 percent of travelers didn't bring covid from abroad, so the risk is very very small.

Reactions: neuroCanadian

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
and adjust their travel plans.
oh thanks. maybe i should just not have fallen in love with a mexican then right? ...there's no 'adjustment' to our plans that will speed up the local laboratories there!!

also: why is everyone assuming that people flying to Canada right now haven't already been abroad for months or even years? we've been apart during covid and have precisely been taking this pandemic into account in the planning of every detail of our relationship for the last 11 months! but mandating 1 or 2 year long separations are unethical and rightly illegal in this country; (we're not fascists in canada!) That's why long-term dating couples have an outlet to re-unify, because they are a family.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
oh thanks. maybe i should just not have fallen in love with a mexican then right? ...there's no 'adjustment' to our plans that will speed up the local laboratories there!!

also: why is everyone assuming that people flying to Canada right now haven't already been abroad for months or even years? we've been apart during covid and have precisely been taking this pandemic into account in the planning of every detail of our relationship for the last 11 months! but mandating 1 or 2 year long separations are unethical and rightly illegal in this country; (we're not fascists in canada!) That's why long-term dating couples have an outlet to re-unify, because they are a family.
I don't think it matters who you fell in love with and most families don't like to be separated for long periods of time.
Unfortunately this pandemic has made everything difficult especially with with the new pre-flight covid test requirements for some countries.
It's nothing to do with ' fascism ' just public safety rules that not everyone is following. So keep planning and be prepared to make some
adjustments like many of us have done.... It's better to be safe now and have something good to look forward to!

Reactions: Canada2020eh

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
Not any more, it specifically says all travellers will be subject to the 14 day quarantine period, I assume this is in response to the new covid strain.

Actually, this new rule doesn't change the pilot program in Alberta. I believe there is a still a push to expand that and I expect with the current spike goes down we will see it rolled out to more airports.

When you look at the test positivity rates for that program I think it has been quite successful.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Actually, this new rule doesn't change the pilot program in Alberta. I believe there is a still a push to expand that and I expect with the current spike goes down we will see it rolled out to more airports.

When you look at the test positivity rates for that program I think it has been quite successful.
The airlines definitely want it to continue and be expanded as it would be easier, in a lot of cases, for people to come to Canada for whatever reason which creates more business for them that is desperately needed. Even with the pilot project travelers coming here still need the negative covid test before departure.