+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative Co-vid test required as of Jan 07, 2021 to enter Canada.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
What you feel is essential to you is a vacation to anyone else. Had you not visited your spouse nobody would have died, it wouldn’t be your last time seeing each other, etc. If your wife was dying, was hospitalized, etc. then that would be considered essential travel. A vacation does not need to be in a sunny destination. You travelled to see your spouse. I and many others (Including the government) would consider this an unecessary trip. The requirement to quarantine on arrival for 2 weeks was already in place and anyone travelling would need to plan on not being able to work for 2 weeks unless they can work remotely. Not being able to work and get paid for 2 weeks would be involved in people’s decision to travel this year. The 2 week pay for quarantine was created so people could get paid if they had to stop working because they were exposed to covid while in Canada and not to pay for people who went on vacation and needed to quarantine because of international travel. Once the government realized that people had been claiming the benefit after travel they closed the loophole. The government had not considered that people returning from travel would apply for a benefit meant to allow people to quarantine after exposure while in Canada. Everyone pays taxes but it doesn’t mean that you deserve to get any government benefit. For example if you quit your job you usually don’t qualify for EI even if you‘ve been paying taxes.
It's not the government's or anyone else's place to tell me if it was unnecessary trip or not. Visiting your spouse is a basic human right and the government has no moral right to make it difficult or impossible for separated spouses to visit for emotionally supporting each other during difficult time of separation. After not seeing each other for 6 months and nothing from ircc I couldn't deny her a visit when she pleaded with me, because it was hard on her. It would be morally wrong for me to disregard and not to visit. And on the phone they also asked if I was in quarantine because advised by the government. In which case the government can advice people to quarantine? ...They knew it was happening, but after people criticized them, they backed off.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's not the government's or anyone else's place to tell me if it was unnecessary trip or not. Visiting your spouse is a basic human right and the government has no moral right to make it difficult or impossible for separated spouses to visit for emotionally supporting each other during difficult time of separation. After not seeing each other for 6 months and nothing from ircc I couldn't deny her a visit when she pleaded with me, because it was hard on her. It would be morally wrong for me to disregard and not to visit. And on the phone they also asked if I was in quarantine because advised by the government. On which case the government can advice people to quarantine? ...They knew it was happening, but after people criticized them, they backed off.
Your quarantine wasn’t advised by the government as in the public health agency advised you that you’d been in contact with an infected person in Canada and you were told to stay home and quarantine for 14 days. That was what the person was asking,. You were forced by the government to quarantine yourself after choosing to travel. There are spouses who are separated all the time for long periods of time through their jobs, parents who are separated from their children for years because of employment and spouses that are separated every year because of sponsorship. Military families spend a year away from their family on a regular basis and did so before the technology existed to communicate regularly. Visiting your spouse is not a basic human right. You can also support people via Skype. Not sure what kind of god you are but you couldn’t deny your wife a visit and it wouldn’t be morally wrong to deny her request? If anything what would be morally correct would be to tell your spouse that to protect others in both your countries you both shouldn’t travel. She is an adult and I am sure she is a strong enough woman that she could survive on her own and could understand why travel during a pandemic is not advisable. You keep on bringing up morals yet you claimed benefits after travelIng based on the request of your spouse because she missed you. That is so far away from essential travel. You chose to travel so the consequence was that you would have to quarantine. I was shocked that anyone would travel Internationally or outside a Canadian bubble and expect the government to pay for their quarantine. Don’t think the government expected it either. No government could justify paying people to quarantine when they choose to go on vacation.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have always been left out of ' federal politics ' especially after little Trudeau's father flipped us the bird many years ago. Still doesn't make sense
why the Case Processing Centre was relocated to Sidney, NS. Maybe there are many friends in the east ?

Lets all hope Canada can manufacture their own vaccines like they did previously but it's a little late now. So here comes more taunting and we'll have
to see what happens. The international airport here is still loaded with incoming Covid cases especially from some areas.
Construction has already started on a vaccination manufacturing plant in Canada. I actually there may be 2 plants one outWest and one in Quebec. There are federal government offices throughout Canada. Nothing very special. If anything the government gets a good deal as cost of living, average salary and minimum wage is lower in Nova Scotia. The West being forgotten is getting a little tirEd. Half the West can’t even agree themselves so not sure how anyone could be against all the Western provinces. You can find fault in any politician and many don’t agree with everything their party does. There are a pretty long list of criticism against Kenney these days although, like Trump, many are still drinking the Koop-aid. It would also get pretty tiring if I was compared to my dead father daily especially when Canada and the world was very different in the late 60s to early 80s.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
What about students and other newcomers to Canada, do they pay out of pocket or who pays for their quarantine?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What about students and other newcomers to Canada, do they pay out of pocket or who pays for their quarantine?
Out of their own pockets. Canada do not pay for their quaratine.
I think some school will arrange quarantine for their students and charge them for food and accomation. But we will see if there will be new rules coming up.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Canada is a country with various laws and policies. If you don’t agree with them, pick a different country and move there.