+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative Co-vid test required as of Jan 07, 2021 to enter Canada.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement at a press conference Tuesday (Jan. 26) morning. He quickly had to defend it from reporters’ queries as to why restrictions were being foreshadowed but not brought in, even as provinces including Ontario and B.C. have called for stricter rules.

“Canada has some of the strictest travel and border restrictions in the world,” Trudeau said.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement at a press conference Tuesday (Jan. 26) morning. He quickly had to defend it from reporters’ queries as to why restrictions were being foreshadowed but not brought in, even as provinces including Ontario and B.C. have called for stricter rules.

“Canada has some of the strictest travel and border restrictions in the world,” Trudeau said.

And they are going to be announced to be more stringent some time this week.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

What was the announcement made?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is basically the Singapore / NZ model. Two countries which have their numbers super under control. My friends in NZ are basically living life as if everything was normal.

Guess too many people are breaking quarantine in Canada.
If you look at Hong Kong, they have stricter quarantine rules than Canada, yet, they are in their fourth wave and we are in our second.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Most likely to do with more flight restrictions and/or tighter quarantine issues.
Seems they have run out of vaccine and have to do something to make themselves look good.
Well sure, but an actual link or info would be useful - don't know what the point of quoting Trudeau without the actual info was, but specifics way more useful than anodyne quotes.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Well sure, but an actual link or info would be useful - don't know what the point of quoting Trudeau without the actual info was, but specifics way more useful than anodyne quotes.
Short version is probable mandatory 2 week quarantine at a gov't approved, supervised hotel at the TRAVELERS expense. Also talked about is but not too likely due to Constitutional rights for citizens/residents is preventing anybody to come or go from the country. Not too likely as they would have to enact the War Measures Act. Trudeau has said don't leave the country as you might not be able to come home. So I guess in that scenario they can't stop citizens/PRs leaving the country but they can stop them from being able to come home.

Manitoba has closed their borders again, other provinces are talking about it. All this is aimed to keep the new covid strains out of the country.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-trudeau-urges-canadians-to-cancel-travel-plans-says-new-restrictions/

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I didn't go on vacation, actually. I hadn't seen my wife for six months , we missed each other, we got married last February. The separation was also hard on us and especially on her and she pleaded with me to come and spent a few weeks with her . So it was an essential trip, not a vacation to sunny destinations. When I was back I wanted to go to work ASAP , but the government forced me to quarantine. My trip didn't fall into category of irresponsible trips. It was for my marriage. They also said I could claim the benefit if I was advised to quarantine by the government authorities which was the case. I didn't use taxpayers money .Each month I pay almost a thousand in taxes to the government , I only took a small portion of the taxes back when I needed.And wouldn't pay back because it was an essential trip that couldn't be postponed and I am a tax payer that pay around 900 dollars every month
What you feel is essential to you is a vacation to anyone else. Had you not visited your spouse nobody would have died, it wouldn’t be your last time seeing each other, etc. If your wife was dying, was hospitalized, etc. then that would be considered essential travel. A vacation does not need to be in a sunny destination. You travelled to see your spouse. I and many others (Including the government) would consider this an unecessary trip. The requirement to quarantine on arrival for 2 weeks was already in place and anyone travelling would need to plan on not being able to work for 2 weeks unless they can work remotely. Not being able to work and get paid for 2 weeks would be involved in people’s decision to travel this year. The 2 week pay for quarantine was created so people could get paid if they had to stop working because they were exposed to covid while in Canada and not to pay for people who went on vacation and needed to quarantine because of international travel. Once the government realized that people had been claiming the benefit after travel they closed the loophole. The government had not considered that people returning from travel would apply for a benefit meant to allow people to quarantine after exposure while in Canada. Everyone pays taxes but it doesn’t mean that you deserve to get any government benefit. For example if you quit your job you usually don’t qualify for EI even if you‘ve been paying taxes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Politicians spin things to their benefit. Big difference on what the reality is and what politicians say. We don’t have the strictest travel and border restrictions. Not even close. Other countries are not turning to Canada as a model of a successful quarantine plan. He also said in the same press conference that only citizens and PRs were coming into Canada which is a lie.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Don't know anything about Trudeau? He is too far away from us here, but the local health care authority is very concerned with the lack of vaccine
and new virus strains. They are aware of some new restrictions coming soon, just not exactly sure what it will be.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't know anything about Trudeau? He is too far away from us here, but the local health care authority is very concerned with the lack of vaccine
and new virus strains. They are aware of some new restrictions coming soon, just not exactly sure what it will be.
Even if you live out West you should know about federal politics but the lack of vaccine is a global issue so the Government has only so much control. Almost all countries want more vaccine. Due to covid we are now bringing back vaccine manufacturing to Canada for future pandemics. Everyday they seem to be taunting us with new restrictions but at this point it is unclear whether they are just trying to scare people or whether they are organizing things behind the scene before rolling out. I am sure many interests groups are arguing. Quebec and Ontario have been trying to get changes at the airport and with foreign travel for many months but the federal government didn’t want to do anything. If anything they were giving many extended families special authorization to visit for things like Christmas. There are also many international students entering Canada even if they are studying online so not really essential travel but a big economic issue. If it wasn’t for the variant I don’t think there would be any changes.

MediaMaverick

Sep 6, 2019
I am a PR and recently traveled via car to Washington state to assist my elderly mother with getting vaccine, etc. Turns out I was able to get vaccine as well and will wait here until I receive second dose before returning to BC. I expect to quarantine for fourteen days like I did last September regardless. I feel fortunate to have been able to get the vaccine here as it appears it may be some time before it's available in Canada for my age/risk group. If I were Canada I would also look at making sure truck drivers crossing border have been vaccinated...

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Even if you live out West you should know about federal politics but the lack of vaccine is a global issue so the Government has only so much control. Almost all countries want more vaccine. Due to covid we are now bringing back vaccine manufacturing to Canada for future pandemics. Everyday they seem to be taunting us with new restrictions but at this point it is unclear whether they are just trying to scare people or whether they are organizing things behind the scene before rolling out. I am sure many interests groups are arguing. Quebec and Ontario have been trying to get changes at the airport and with foreign travel for many months but the federal government didn’t want to do anything. If anything they were giving many extended families special authorization to visit for things like Christmas. There are also many international students entering Canada even if they are studying online so not really essential travel but a big economic issue. If it wasn’t for the variant I don’t think there would be any changes.
We have always been left out of ' federal politics ' especially after little Trudeau's father flipped us the bird many years ago. Still doesn't make sense
why the Case Processing Centre was relocated to Sidney, NS. Maybe there are many friends in the east ?

Lets all hope Canada can manufacture their own vaccines like they did previously but it's a little late now. So here comes more taunting and we'll have
to see what happens. The international airport here is still loaded with incoming Covid cases especially from some areas.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The international airport here is still loaded with incoming Covid cases especially from some areas.
How many in a daily basis? Do they require travelers to leave a sample of their deep throat saliva upon landing and send it to a lab to conduct a covid test?