+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advise - Eligible for BOWP in July - Employer sending back to home country!

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
Hi All,

Need your expert advise ASAP.

I am in a situation where in my employer has asked me to go back to my home country as my project got closed. I have applied for PR under CEC and has AOR email, i am unable to apply for BOWP at this time as my closed WP is expiring in October.

Seniors please advise on what are the options i have at this time, my questions are as follows:

Can i put my papers and stay back till July and apply for BOWP and than look for job? Is this legal ?
Once i put my papers, I heard that my employer can withdraw the WP / visa if an employer resigns from the company. Is this true?
Will i get BOWP if i apply in July after resigning from the current employer?

I just want to ensure i am not violating any laws by staying illegally and get into any troubles.

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks,
Wonderclicks

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Your work permit is closed but still valid until October. That means you can stay in Canada until then, but won't be able to work anymore.

Your employer doesn't have the authority to "send you back home". Wait until July and then apply for BOWP.

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
We are in the same situation. My husband has a closed work permit and I have an open work permit. Their project ended early and we are being sent home and for him to go back to their branch in our home country as early as February. I applied for PR thru CEC and received our AOR last March, but then we are not eligible to apply for BOWP until the first week of May. So what my husband did was file for a 6-month leave citing personal reasons. He's out of work from Feb up to this day but we already got our OWP about a week or two weeks ago. Now he's about to resign from his job in our home country and he's now legal to find work anywhere in Canada.

If you could stay until such time that you're eligible for BOWP, I suggest you should. It's just a matter of time :)

Applebite

Star Member
Nov 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2014
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
It's sad situation !!! IT Companies works like this only when they need they send you and when they dont send you back, I don't know why they don't understand that Employee also have rights to choose where he/she would like to work.

In your case you have valid WP, tell your employer clearly that you don't wanna go back hopefully they will understand, if nothing works out better to resign and stay at home, apply for a bridge permit and start work again.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
wonderclicks
If your employer threatens to have you deported from Canada or taking WP from you, than it is serious offence and you can say this to your employer right away. If your employer does not understand this than you can report him.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/tfw-rights.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wonderclicks said:
Can i put my papers and stay back till July and apply for BOWP and than look for job? Is this legal ?
Yes

Once i put my papers, I heard that my employer can withdraw the WP / visa if an employer resigns from the company. Is this true?
Not true. Only CIC issues work permits and visas, not employers.

Will i get BOWP if i apply in July after resigning from the current employer?
It sounds like you will be eligible then. (The only possible problem is if, for some reason, CIC has decided you aren't eligible under the CEC program and your application is refused before you get the BOWP. Don't know your timeline, tho...)

SimK

Star Member
Jul 23, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
1211, 6314
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
IELTS Request
Celpip sent with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2014
Med's Request
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
19-06-2015
Passport Req..
02-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2015
LANDED..........
07-14-2015
iamelle said:
We are in the same situation. My husband has a closed work permit and I have an open work permit. Their project ended early and we are being sent home and for him to go back to their branch in our home country as early as February. I applied for PR thru CEC and received our AOR last March, but then we are not eligible to apply for BOWP until the first week of May. So what my husband did was file for a 6-month leave citing personal reasons. He's out of work from Feb up to this day but we already got our OWP about a week or two weeks ago. Now he's about to resign from his job in our home country and he's now legal to find work anywhere in Canada.

If you could stay until such time that you're eligible for BOWP, I suggest you should. It's just a matter of time :)
This sounds as the best option to me. I'd say its perfectly handled by you guys.

@wonderclicks

I'm sure your employer cant threaten you or force you to leave the country but the best suggestion is to do what "iamelle" did. I'm also sure they made you sign some papers before sending you to Canada and this is how these companies hedge themselves.

In my opinion, why to complicate the situation when you can play smart and file a personal leave mentioning some unavoidable situation and one you get your BOWP, put your papers. That'll be a win win situation for you! :)

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
iamelle said:

Thanks iamelle for detailed info :)

Hope i follow the same route and works for me too :)

Wonderclicks :)

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
Thank you all for your valuable feedback / suggestion :)

Now my confidence has tripled :D

I will stay back till July and apply for BOWP and look for job.

Wonderclicks

arorkama

Star Member
Oct 31, 2013
As long as you have valid temporary resident visa, you can stay in canada. Does not matter, even if your employer tries to cancel you work permit.

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
wonderclicks said:
Thank you all for your valuable feedback / suggestion :)

Now my confidence has tripled :D

I will stay back till July and apply for BOWP and look for job.

Wonderclicks
Glad to be of help. It really works. Just stay focused on what your goal is. Oh, and my husband was able to file for EI. At first it was disapproved. But after writing an explanation letter that we have applied for PR and BOWP, it was approved and he already got the first EI payment.

SimK said:
This sounds as the best option to me. I'd say its perfectly handled by you guys.
Thank you SimK. I got the best advise from this forum. So thankful for the generosity of the members here :)

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
iamelle said:
Glad to be of help. It really works. Just stay focused on what your goal is. Oh, and my husband was able to file for EI. At first it was disapproved. But after writing an explanation letter that we have applied for PR and BOWP, it was approved and he already got the first EI payment.

Hi iamelle

You are awesome, EI is good news for me. I heard about it, but was not sure whether i am eligible for that, you made my day :)

Will let you know if need any other info once i get my BOWP.

Thanks a ton !!

Wonderclicks

Thank you SimK. I got the best advise from this forum. So thankful for the generosity of the members here :)