NEED ADVICE URGENT:US visitor visa for newly arrived permanent resident

mehdiR

Jan 3, 2012
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

My wife recently got her PR through my sponsorship and landed in May2013. she does not have any job in Canada yet. We want to apply for US Visa for her for travel and transit so we could go visit her aunt and their family . I am an employed canadian citizen, we also have a kid who is canadian citizen. we got an appointment with the US consulate tomorrow morning.

Does anyone has any experience to share: is it hard or impossible to get US visa for newly landed immigrant? I heard that unwritten rule is they are reluctant to issue visas to those with less than one year of residency, but do not know how much of this is true.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
If you have a genuine purpose to visit visa (visiting relatives is perfectly fine) and you are applying in the correct category (visitor visa is fine) then you don't need to worry about anything. Just make sure you can collect as much documents as you can (birth, marriage cert., ties to Canada, address of relatives in US, etc, etc) and go for the interview. Stay calm and answer the questions to the best of your knowledge.

You are a Canadian so your wife should not have much problem getting a visitor visa because she has ties to Canada. It's easier in general for women to get visa than men.

The only vague reason for refusal is "you failed to convince the interviewer that you would return to your home country (Canada) after the specified visit". But this is a problem for people applying from third-world countries, not much of a problem in Canada.