National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

beforecanada2014

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Visa Office......
accra
LANDED..........
15th Dec 2016
No definitely not implying that Ontario is faster. I don't think that any are faster, but if one were, it wouldn't be Ontario! The licensing body is terrible--even had issues where they were "experiencing delays due to updating their phone lines" a few months ago. Realistically, they were just refusing to even answer the phone.

It is possible to get correspondence from NNAS within 6 months. But is it probable? Some have received their Advisory Report within 4 months, others 12 months. I was educated in the US and it still took 7 months even though you'd think it would be a little more straight forward.

Good question on the fees. Ha! I laugh because NNAS is a joke. It's a money grab. NNAS is an American enterprise. It is run by CGFNS, with the NNAS name to look like it's Canadian. The NNAS office in Toronto has like 2 staff in it who refuse to answer any questions. It's basically a store front to make it look legitimate. In reality, your nursing education will be assessed by an American in Philadelphia who is not even a nurse, let alone a Canadian nurse! You are paying in American dollars because the whole thing is American. So you will spend about $1000 CAD and a nurse won't even look at your documents until you apply to the provincial licensing body. In addition, the Canadian provincial licensing bodies are well aware that the NNAS assessment does not adequately evaluate the comparability of your education to Canadian nursing education. But they don't care, because they just want the process to not fall under them, because they are overseen somewhat by government. Since they farm it our to a company, they can claim "sorry, if it's unfair or invalid, you'll have to call NNAS because we have no control" every time something is wildly wrong. I cannot believe this hasn't turned into an all-out protest. But the licensing bodies are relying on the fact that applicants from other countries want to come to Canada and don't want to make a scene. Also, many don't know how to make complaints.

I could go on for days about the problems with NNAS and CNO for that matter...
This is very valuable an information. I'm quite sure people affected by this bureaucratic inefficiency have not done as much. There must surely be a change

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I am on Vaca when I decided to check my email. I saw I was referred to do IENCAP. Should be interesting
I am so relieved that you at least finally got an answer!
But why did it take so long if you have to do IENCAP anyway? So frustrating! And they let you know 10 days after the last registration. So now you will likely have to wait until April 22 to try to register for a spot for October 18th. Ask to get on a waiting list. They will say they don't have a waiting list but they do!!

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Working as a nurse in the UK won't count for anything in Canada. Canada doesn't accept any foreign training or experience at face value. All have to be evaluated and go through the same steps. So I definitely wouldn't spend time in UK if the goal is to get to Canada. First your wife will have to apply to NNAS. She will receive a "non-comparable" Advisory Report from them in about 8-12 months after she applies. Then, she will have to apply to the licensing body in the province she wants to work. They will take a long time to reply, but they will eventually tell her what she needs to do. Probably provide job description from previous employers. Also she will likely have to do IENCAP (Ontario) which is a day-long exam (costs $500). If she passes then she can qualify to write the NCLEX-RN exam which is the licensing exam. If all other conditions are met, she can apply for a license. You'd want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you and her want to come to Canada because the effort it will require is huge and expensive and not worth it for some people.
I should correct the fact that IENCAP fee has increased to $750 CAD. In 2016 it was $300, last year it was $500, and starting in April it is $750. There are no longer any spots available for the assessment dates that are held prior to April so all signing up for IENCAP going forward will pay $750. Money grab!

Reactions: Lsmlaguio

Legentellison

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
I should correct the fact that IENCAP fee has increased to $750 CAD. In 2016 it was $300, last year it was $500, and starting in April it is $750. There are no longer any spots available for the assessment dates that are held prior to April so all signing up for IENCAP going forward will pay $750. Money grab!
Well I got a spot for August this year so not too bad $750

Reactions: RN_0001

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
hii,
if you are in toronto, there is a course which is of practical approach. but i don't know much details of that.
Touchstone offers a free preparation day course through HealthForce Ontario. Space is limited so sign up as soon as possible. The day consists of practice scenarios with actor patients to give you an idea of the types of scenarios you will be given and what they are looking for. And preparation for the multiple choice portion of the exam. I highly recommend. I'd suggest not doing IENCAP unless you have taken this preparation opportunity.