+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

Amasarkodie

Feb 16, 2018
You'll probably want to start at the beginning of this topic and read through...almost everyone educated outside of Canada is non-comparable according to NNAS. I was also, and I was educated a few miles over the border in the United States at a university which prior to NNAs coming into play, was considered by CNO to be comparable to a Canadian university nursing program. Completely insane. NNAS is not required to tell you why it was non-comparable. There is no disclosure of how the assessment is conducted. So you will have to apply to Alberta's licensing body and go from there. Where did you receive your nursing education?
Yea, I think I have gone through the previous posts. Thanks. I studied in Ghana

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Yea, I think I have gone through the previous posts. Thanks. I studied in Ghana
In some cases, people have found that it would take the same amount of time to obtain a nursing degree in Canada as it would to go through the NNAS process, await steps from the licensing body, and then complete the steps they require, before their recent practice time has expired. The main benefit is that you know for sure that if you obtain a Canadian education and then pass the NCLEX-RN, you will be able to get a license. If you go through the NNAS process, nothing is guaranteed.

Amasarkodie

Feb 16, 2018
In some cases, people have found that it would take the same amount of time to obtain a nursing degree in Canada as it would to go through the NNAS process, await steps from the licensing body, and then complete the steps they require, before their recent practice time has expired. The main benefit is that you know for sure that if you obtain a Canadian education and then pass the NCLEX-RN, you will be able to get a license. If you go through the NNAS process, nothing is guaranteed.
True

beforecanada2014

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Visa Office......
accra
LANDED..........
15th Dec 2016
A lil bit discouraging for me already as I'm new here and specifically to make enquiry from lovely ppl here. My wife is a registered nurse and midwife in Nigeria, She also has a Bsc. Nursing and is currently being evaluated by CIC for spousal sponsorship from me. I need an advice on how to start the whole process. Would UK be better as she can swoop in on that if Canada accepts nurses wt practising experience in UK ( I mean spending some years in Uk before coming to canada ). I won't mind her going through that pathway if possible. Kindly advice a confused "husband", my dear learned ones

Zaheda

Feb 12, 2018
Hi,

What do you mean they do not take internationally trained nurses?And your file was withdrawn?
Then who are they taking for the Bridge to Canadian Nursing?Canadian trained nurses?

Did they confirm you are in for the fall 2018?

Thank you.
Hello please add me on wass app my contact number is 9660549791676

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
A lil bit discouraging for me already as I'm new here and specifically to make enquiry from lovely ppl here. My wife is a registered nurse and midwife in Nigeria, She also has a Bsc. Nursing and is currently being evaluated by CIC for spousal sponsorship from me. I need an advice on how to start the whole process. Would UK be better as she can swoop in on that if Canada accepts nurses wt practising experience in UK ( I mean spending some years in Uk before coming to canada ). I won't mind her going through that pathway if possible. Kindly advice a confused "husband", my dear learned ones
Working as a nurse in the UK won't count for anything in Canada. Canada doesn't accept any foreign training or experience at face value. All have to be evaluated and go through the same steps. So I definitely wouldn't spend time in UK if the goal is to get to Canada. First your wife will have to apply to NNAS. She will receive a "non-comparable" Advisory Report from them in about 8-12 months after she applies. Then, she will have to apply to the licensing body in the province she wants to work. They will take a long time to reply, but they will eventually tell her what she needs to do. Probably provide job description from previous employers. Also she will likely have to do IENCAP (Ontario) which is a day-long exam (costs $500). If she passes then she can qualify to write the NCLEX-RN exam which is the licensing exam. If all other conditions are met, she can apply for a license. You'd want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you and her want to come to Canada because the effort it will require is huge and expensive and not worth it for some people.

Reactions: beforecanada2014

beforecanada2014

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Visa Office......
accra
LANDED..........
15th Dec 2016
Working as a nurse in the UK won't count for anything in Canada. Canada doesn't accept any foreign training or experience at face value. All have to be evaluated and go through the same steps. So I definitely wouldn't spend time in UK if the goal is to get to Canada. First your wife will have to apply to NNAS. She will receive a "non-comparable" Advisory Report from them in about 8-12 months after she applies. Then, she will have to apply to the licensing body in the province she wants to work. They will take a long time to reply, but they will eventually tell her what she needs to do. Probably provide job description from previous employers. Also she will likely have to do IENCAP (Ontario) which is a day-long exam (costs $500). If she passes then she can qualify to write the NCLEX-RN exam which is the licensing exam. If all other conditions are met, she can apply for a license. You'd want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you and her want to come to Canada because the effort it will require is huge and expensive and not worth it for some people.
This is detailed an information. I'm thankful

Reactions: RN_0001

Jmgolematis

Feb 24, 2018
Has anyone applied to the province of New Brunswick? I have applied there and am waiting for my advisory report from NNAS before I go ahead to the NANB. Was wondering if anyone could share their experience with NANB?

My background:
I have an associate's degree in nursing from New York and am currently finishing my bachelor's. I passed the NCLEX February 2017 and have also been working as an RN for about 8 months.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
This is detailed an information. I'm thankful
I should also add that if the applicant does not pass IENCAP or OSCE or whatever the licensing body asks them to do, they will not be allowed to write the licensing exam. They will be directed to take courses or enrol in a "bridge" program for internationally educated nurses. This course takes approximately 18-24 months (depends which province) but it is difficult to get into because there are so many people waiting.

I don't want to be negative, but feel it's fair for everyone to have the true facts to help them make a decision.

One problem many people run into is they move to Canada and then start this process. But by the time they are finished the process, they haven't been practicing nursing for 3 years (if applying to Ontario) or 5 years (if applying to other provinces) and then they are required to get a Canadian BScN or to go home and nurse for a year or so. So it's best to do as much of this process while in your home country working as a nurse and only come to Canada when you are close to completing the process.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Has anyone applied to the province of New Brunswick? I have applied there and am waiting for my advisory report from NNAS before I go ahead to the NANB. Was wondering if anyone could share their experience with NANB?

My background:
I have an associate's degree in nursing from New York and am currently finishing my bachelor's. I passed the NCLEX February 2017 and have also been working as an RN for about 8 months.
It would have been better to wait until you completed your BSN before you applied to NNAS because you are guaranteed "non-comparable" with an Associate's degree.

beforecanada2014

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Visa Office......
accra
LANDED..........
15th Dec 2016
I should also add that if the applicant does not pass IENCAP or OSCE or whatever the licensing body asks them to do, they will not be allowed to write the licensing exam. They will be directed to take courses or enrol in a "bridge" program for internationally educated nurses. This course takes approximately 18-24 months (depends which province) but it is difficult to get into because there are so many people waiting.

I don't want to be negative, but feel it's fair for everyone to have the true facts to help them make a decision.

One problem many people run into is they move to Canada and then start this process. But by the time they are finished the process, they haven't been practicing nursing for 3 years (if applying to Ontario) or 5 years (if applying to other provinces) and then they are required to get a Canadian BScN or to go home and nurse for a year or so. So it's best to do as much of this process while in your home country working as a nurse and only come to Canada when you are close to completing the process.
Well said. By any chance are you implying that the process is faster in Ontario compared to every other province? Secondly, is it possible to get correspondence within 6 months after submitting application to NNAS? Also, I'd like to know why the NNAS applicatiin fee is quoted in USD instead of CAD (650 +32.50); Just curious on these as we try to complete the application.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Well said. By any chance are you implying that the process is faster in Ontario compared to every other province? Secondly, is it possible to get correspondence within 6 months after submitting application to NNAS? Also, I'd like to know why the NNAS applicatiin fee is quoted in USD instead of CAD (650 +32.50); Just curious on these as we try to complete the application.
No definitely not implying that Ontario is faster. I don't think that any are faster, but if one were, it wouldn't be Ontario! The licensing body is terrible--even had issues where they were "experiencing delays due to updating their phone lines" a few months ago. Realistically, they were just refusing to even answer the phone.

It is possible to get correspondence from NNAS within 6 months. But is it probable? Some have received their Advisory Report within 4 months, others 12 months. I was educated in the US and it still took 7 months even though you'd think it would be a little more straight forward.

Good question on the fees. Ha! I laugh because NNAS is a joke. It's a money grab. NNAS is an American enterprise. It is run by CGFNS, with the NNAS name to look like it's Canadian. The NNAS office in Toronto has like 2 staff in it who refuse to answer any questions. It's basically a store front to make it look legitimate. In reality, your nursing education will be assessed by an American in Philadelphia who is not even a nurse, let alone a Canadian nurse! You are paying in American dollars because the whole thing is American. So you will spend about $1000 CAD and a nurse won't even look at your documents until you apply to the provincial licensing body. In addition, the Canadian provincial licensing bodies are well aware that the NNAS assessment does not adequately evaluate the comparability of your education to Canadian nursing education. But they don't care, because they just want the process to not fall under them, because they are overseen somewhat by government. Since they farm it our to a company, they can claim "sorry, if it's unfair or invalid, you'll have to call NNAS because we have no control" every time something is wildly wrong. I cannot believe this hasn't turned into an all-out protest. But the licensing bodies are relying on the fact that applicants from other countries want to come to Canada and don't want to make a scene. Also, many don't know how to make complaints.

I could go on for days about the problems with NNAS and CNO for that matter...