+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
update: currently at 6 weeks, ready for review. NNAS have said they do not need to provide any time line on when they need to process applications and can not give me a rough estimate of how many more weeks or months until i get any information.
They are accountable to nobody. They have been given the contract to be the only agency that reviews nursing education for licensing in Canada. Zero oversight and it's terrible.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
My application has been on ‘ready to review’ since 29th of January 2019. I rang NNAS recently and was informed it can take up to 3 months from the point of ready to review to write the report. I pointed out it is already almost 5 months-the staff explained the workload of my analyst is the reason for the unacceptable looong wait. I have just been made aware there is another stage (final review) before report is written and published. It is very frustrating and disappointing as I have sacrificed a lot to embark on this journey. Any ideas or suggestions on how to speed up the process, if any ?
No way to speed it up. For some, it takes 9-10 months. It's completely insane.

Niha23

Nov 27, 2017
Hello All,
Thank you for the information you all provide on a daily basis.
I have Bachelors in Nursing and cleared NCLEX RN and have a license as an RN in Massachusetts since 2016. NNAS report was non comparable. Haven't worked in US as I did not have a work permit. Working as an RPN/LPN in Canada. Since my evidence of practice has expired, CNO gave me 2 options
1) To do OSCE
2) To go back to school

Getting an OSCE slot has been so difficult and the next OSCE slots are available for 2020 for ONTARIO, it's been a waiting game since 2016 when I started my process with NNAS.

I just want to know if i transfer my NNAS advisory report to British Columbia or Alberta or Novascotia, How long is the wait time for the competency clinical exam in these provinces as compared to ONTARIO's OSCE?

Aimay

Aug 2, 2019
Hi, i have a concern.. I'm and IEN from philippines, haven't been practicing since 2010, but I studies LPN and currently working as an LPN now in BC, i would like to transition to RN. So I'm wondering if I'm still eligible to apply through NNAS ? Has anyone here have the same case? Pls reply..

Karhail

Aug 3, 2019
Hello,

I’m a RN from India , currently living in Saskatchewan.i applied for NNAS assessment & received my advisory report as non-comparable today.i like to apply to SALPN as next step but not sure whether I can or not as I worked as RN approximately 1260 hours last in October 2014 in India and those hours will expire at the end of year 2019. Afterwards, I worked as personal care Aide from May 2015 till September 2018 in SK, Canada. Please advise. Thanks

Aimay

Aug 2, 2019
Hello,

I’m a RN from India , currently living in Saskatchewan.i applied for NNAS assessment & received my advisory report as non-comparable today.i like to apply to SALPN as next step but not sure whether I can or not as I worked as RN approximately 1260 hours last in October 2014 in India and those hours will expire at the end of year 2019. Afterwards, I worked as personal care Aide from May 2015 till September 2018 in SK, Canada. Please advise. Thanks
Hi, maybe think of the option to go back to school and take the LPN program? Since you already have a nursing background, depending on the school, they might credit some of your courses..

Karhail

Aug 3, 2019
Hello everyone,

This is a Nurse Educator here from Alberta. I am willing to help in here with all your queries what you have. As being in the same background, as an International I am volunteering to help IENS with their application process and queries.

I’m not might be able to reply back at the same time, because of my busy teaching scheduling. But i will try my best to login frequently here and help all of you :)

I would be very happy to assist here someone and see you becoming a Nurse in Canada :)

Thanks

Karhail

Aug 3, 2019
Hello,

I’m a RN from India , currently living inSaskatchewan.i applied for NNAS assessment & received my advisory report as non-comparable today.i like to apply to SALPN as next step but not sure whether I can or not as I worked as RN approximately 1260 hours last in October 2014 in India and those hours will expire at the end of year 2019. Afterwards, I worked as personal care Aide from May 2015 till September 2018 in SK, Canada. Please advise. Thanks

Cee35

Oct 24, 2015
Hey all!

I've been lurking on this forum for the better part of the year since starting my NNAS process in July 2018. I finally got my license early this month and wanted to share my timeline as I feel like there aren't too many out there currently and the few that I did see gave me an idea of what to expect.

I was educated in the United States. I got my Associate Degree in Nursing in December of 2013 and earned by Bachelor's degree in September of 2016. I've been working as an RN since March 2014, so at the time I applied to NNAS, I had about 4.5 years of nursing experience. My various jobs in this 4.5 years included:

Skilled nursing/sub-acute rehab: 1 year
Oncology/hematology/palliative care/hospice: 1.5 years
Postpartum care or maternal/newborn care: 3 years

My timeline is as follows:

JUL 23/2018 - application initiated
SEP 07/2018 - all documents received and application status changed to Ready for Review
APR 01/2019 - Ready for Final Review
JUN 04/2019 - Advisory report received (ETP average 80.94%, comparable), applied to CARNA
JUN 11/2019 - CARNA request for current govt issued ID (as they were forwarded my NNAS application without updated ID - see note below)*
JUN 12/2019 - CARNA file forwarded for assessment
JUN 26/2019 - Eligible for RN registration: application for permit completed, jurisprudence completed, police information check sent (I had gotten it done a few weeks before)
JUL 03/2019 - Permit approved with condition (employer reference after 225 hours of practice)
JUL 03/2019 - started applying for jobs!

And now we wait...

There were definitely a few hiccups along the way. Early March I got an E-mail from my evaluator that the syllabi sent from my ADN were dated for after I had graduated from the program and that they needed copies of the syllabi that was being used during my time there. It took 2+ frustrating weeks of back and forth between me and the technical college to finally resolve that. *Then at the end of March, I got another e-mail that my form of ID had expired. Luckily, I was able to get a new copy notarized and e-mailed that same day. My account changed to Ready for Final Review the next business day.

I hope this helps someone out!

Hi. What immigration program did you apply through?

Cee35

Oct 24, 2015
Hello everyone. I've been following this thread for a couple years now and figured I would share my wife's experience with NNAS and CNO. To give you some background, she is an American educated nurse who completed an accelerated 2 year BSN in 2016. After graduation in 2016 she wrote the NCLEX, passed it, and worked for 2 years in Florida to obtain nursing experience (June 2016-June 2018). While obtaining this experience, she started applying to become a nurse in Canada. She moved to Canada as a PR in June 2018 and for the time being worked in Michigan as an RN from July 2018-present. We lived in a Canadian city that was in close proximity to the US border, so she commuted to work daily while living in Canada and continued to gain RN experience. The list below highlights her timelines for the entire NNAS and CNO process:

- Applied to NNAS and paid the fee on November 21, 2017. Took a couple months to gather and submit all the documents.
- Received NNAS advisory report with "somewhat comparable" for RN on August 8 2018 (this really means nothing though. NNAS is corrupt and individuals who aren't even RNs are the people assessing your application. CNO or whatever provincial nursing body you apply to has the final say).
- Applied to CNO and paid the fee on August 22 2018. Called CNO sometime in September 2018 and was informed to submit detailed job descriptions from employer.
- Completed Jurisprudence Exam on February 22 2019.
- All requirements including Nursing Education and Evidence of Practice were met on May 27, 2019.
- Received letter to apply to CNO as RN on June 21, 2019.

It was a long process, but were extremely thankful considering some of the posts I've read on here over the years. It seems like more American educated nurses are being approved by provincial nursing bodies. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for IENs educated outside of NA. For anyone currently going through the NNAS or CNO process, it helps if you submit very detailed job descriptions from your employer and gain nursing experience post-graduation before applying to become a nurse in Canada (or don't stop working for a number of years and then try applying to become an RN in Canada). Also, our experience with the people at CNO was positive. They always answered our calls and were very helpful. I've seen a lot of negative comments about CNO, so just wanted to share our positive experience with them. NNAS is a different story - you just have to be patient and wait for that advisory report.

Good luck to everyone!

Woooooooow. That timeline is really long. And to think I'm an IEN without NCLEX looking to migrate. Seems like his won't be possible anytime soon

Cee35

Oct 24, 2015
Hello everyone,
Super happy to be back after almost 3 years....what a ride it's been!!
This forum helped me greatly back then...especially members like Canada11 and asivadanac... IDK if they're still active...
Anyways long story short, Indian Nurse, landed 3 years ago, passed OSCE with no gaps, Passed NCLEX, got licence last year, now an RN in a leading hospital. The journey was rough but everything is fine now. Canada is treating me well. Just dropped in to say thanks and good luck to everyone. :):):)

Congrats!!! Did you migrate first and then start your licensing? Would you be able to give an outline of the process? Thanks in advance and all the best.

zarrr

Aug 9, 2019
hi, im a tourist planning to work as a registered nurse here in edmonton , i went to carna to inquire on how to apply as a nurse and they advised me to create an account in nnas. i already prepared my documents before coming here , my t.o.r, diploma etc. but ive read that the school where you graduated should be the one who will mail your documents to nnas, how strict are they when it comes to this? has anyone tried asking if they will honor documents that has been CAV ( certification, authentication,verification) by ched then submitted personally. can anyone give me an estimate on how long will i have to wait after i submit all the required documents to nnas? pls help. tia