National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

Nj64

Feb 19, 2018
Good morning everyone
I am registered nurse in India.
Bsc nursing 4 yrs
I am process of Permanent residency by express entry
Should I start nnas from here only?
Is there any other options if we don't go for nnas? As I have read in this forum that nnas is time consuming.
Please answer

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
Good morning everyone
I am registered nurse in India.
Bsc nursing 4 yrs
I am process of Permanent residency by express entry
Should I start nnas from here only?
Is there any other options if we don't go for nnas? As I have read in this forum that nnas is time consuming.
Please answer
Hi :)
Only way is through the NNAS.
Start as early as you can, often it is easier to do it from your home country, i would start now. It can take several months to just get your documentation in order, then 6 or so months for the NNAS to make a decision, sometimes longer- up to 12 months.
Good luck.

Shong1013

Feb 16, 2017
Hello everyone. I've been following this thread for a couple years now and figured I would share my wife's experience with NNAS and CNO. To give you some background, she is an American educated nurse who completed an accelerated 2 year BSN in 2016. After graduation in 2016 she wrote the NCLEX, passed it, and worked for 2 years in Florida to obtain nursing experience (June 2016-June 2018). While obtaining this experience, she started applying to become a nurse in Canada. She moved to Canada as a PR in June 2018 and for the time being worked in Michigan as an RN from July 2018-present. We lived in a Canadian city that was in close proximity to the US border, so she commuted to work daily while living in Canada and continued to gain RN experience. The list below highlights her timelines for the entire NNAS and CNO process:

- Applied to NNAS and paid the fee on November 21, 2017. Took a couple months to gather and submit all the documents.
- Received NNAS advisory report with "somewhat comparable" for RN on August 8 2018 (this really means nothing though. NNAS is corrupt and individuals who aren't even RNs are the people assessing your application. CNO or whatever provincial nursing body you apply to has the final say).
- Applied to CNO and paid the fee on August 22 2018. Called CNO sometime in September 2018 and was informed to submit detailed job descriptions from employer.
- Completed Jurisprudence Exam on February 22 2019.
- All requirements including Nursing Education and Evidence of Practice were met on May 27, 2019.
- Received letter to apply to CNO as RN on June 21, 2019.

It was a long process, but were extremely thankful considering some of the posts I've read on here over the years. It seems like more American educated nurses are being approved by provincial nursing bodies. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for IENs educated outside of NA. For anyone currently going through the NNAS or CNO process, it helps if you submit very detailed job descriptions from your employer and gain nursing experience post-graduation before applying to become a nurse in Canada (or don't stop working for a number of years and then try applying to become an RN in Canada). Also, our experience with the people at CNO was positive. They always answered our calls and were very helpful. I've seen a lot of negative comments about CNO, so just wanted to share our positive experience with them. NNAS is a different story - you just have to be patient and wait for that advisory report.

Good luck to everyone!
Hello everyone. I've been following this thread for a couple years now and figured I would share my wife's experience with NNAS and CNO. To give you some background, she is an American educated nurse who completed an accelerated 2 year BSN in 2016. After graduation in 2016 she wrote the NCLEX, passed it, and worked for 2 years in Florida to obtain nursing experience (June 2016-June 2018). While obtaining this experience, she started applying to become a nurse in Canada. She moved to Canada as a PR in June 2018 and for the time being worked in Michigan as an RN from July 2018-present. We lived in a Canadian city that was in close proximity to the US border, so she commuted to work daily while living in Canada and continued to gain RN experience. The list below highlights her timelines for the entire NNAS and CNO process:

- Applied to NNAS and paid the fee on November 21, 2017. Took a couple months to gather and submit all the documents.
- Received NNAS advisory report with "somewhat comparable" for RN on August 8 2018 (this really means nothing though. NNAS is corrupt and individuals who aren't even RNs are the people assessing your application. CNO or whatever provincial nursing body you apply to has the final say).
- Applied to CNO and paid the fee on August 22 2018. Called CNO sometime in September 2018 and was informed to submit detailed job descriptions from employer.
- Completed Jurisprudence Exam on February 22 2019.
- All requirements including Nursing Education and Evidence of Practice were met on May 27, 2019.
- Received letter to apply to CNO as RN on June 21, 2019.

It was a long process, but were extremely thankful considering some of the posts I've read on here over the years. It seems like more American educated nurses are being approved by provincial nursing bodies. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for IENs educated outside of NA. For anyone currently going through the NNAS or CNO process, it helps if you submit very detailed job descriptions from your employer and gain nursing experience post-graduation before applying to become a nurse in Canada (or don't stop working for a number of years and then try applying to become an RN in Canada). Also, our experience with the people at CNO was positive. They always answered our calls and were very helpful. I've seen a lot of negative comments about CNO, so just wanted to share our positive experience with them. NNAS is a different story - you just have to be patient and wait for that advisory report.

Good luck to everyone!
Hi, It is very similar to my experience. I also graduated with BSN in American in 2016. I only worked for 6 months after graduation(2016 July- 2017 January) and had to go back home(Korea). I am in Canada now where is is also close to Michigan, and I am waiting for PR and just applied nnas a few days ago. I only worked y months and also I don't have a proper status to work in the States, I feel frustrated. I think CNO will require additional education. Any idea or thoughts on this situation?

Reactions: Derbs73

BaliAshmita

Jun 22, 2019
@RN_001; I really do appreciate your prompt response and advise, the loss am referring to here is mostly loss of time , she cant use referral from CNO to touchstone to write AARNAP, and NNAS said they cant port her Advisory report to ALBERTA (CARNA) because it is more than a year since it was issued. I am not also sure if CNO can transfer the report to CARNA.
The option left is to start the RN process for Alberta again from scratch with NNAS paying the whole fees and waiting for the years it will take again.
Though we have started the LPN (Alberta) from Scratch with NNAS, are you advising we should pay and add RN too?
i am just thinking, wont it be faster if she starts the 2 years Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) After Degree Program in Edmonton, which qualifies her, upon completion, to be RN in Alberta without going through the rigors of waiting for NNAS (if she eventually gets PR)
you should look up the channel (your complete guide for moving to Canada), it has a video on pre-departure services. there are agencies dedicated to immigrant and their service are free. it gives you their website and contact info. their main offices are mostly in Toronto but they provide service for everywhere in Canada so it doesn't matter where you want to land. Anyway, they help you with finding employment when you are still in your country and with your settlement when u get there. There is a specific one for nursing and also it talks about how they will help you to get your certification and sometimes help with the cost and the time it takes. contact them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not affiliated with this, I just believe if I share info, the universe will bring me good luck. :)

ad617354

Apr 13, 2018
Hi, It is very similar to my experience. I also graduated with BSN in American in 2016. I only worked for 6 months after graduation(2016 July- 2017 January) and had to go back home(Korea). I am in Canada now where is is also close to Michigan, and I am waiting for PR and just applied nnas a few days ago. I only worked y months and also I don't have a proper status to work in the States, I feel frustrated. I think CNO will require additional education. Any idea or thoughts on this situation?
Have you not worked since 2017? Was this work experience in the USA or Korea?

TRUENORTH_4M_C2C

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Ottawa
Hello everyone,
Super happy to be back after almost 3 years....what a ride it's been!!
This forum helped me greatly back then...especially members like Canada11 and asivadanac... IDK if they're still active...
Anyways long story short, Indian Nurse, landed 3 years ago, passed OSCE with no gaps, Passed NCLEX, got licence last year, now an RN in a leading hospital. The journey was rough but everything is fine now. Canada is treating me well. Just dropped in to say thanks and good luck to everyone. :):):)

Shong1013

Feb 16, 2017
Have you not worked since 2017? Was this work experience in the USA or Korea?
Work experience was in USA. At that point, I couldn't work because of the visa expired so I went back home to Korea, and I do not have any nursing license back home, so haven't worked until now.

j0pd008

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Hi friend,
Thank you for your reply
but i dint find any links to download those forms from my account . Can you please give some additional information
did u submit your fee? These forms ll b available after submission of fee to NNAS.check ur home page of NNAS.There you ll get option like personal information,education,registeration,employment detail,forms(i guess).so that is where u gonna get them all.incase u didnt get forms yet call NNAS. i hope it ll b helpful for u

j0pd008

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Hello everyone,
Super happy to be back after almost 3 years....what a ride it's been!!
This forum helped me greatly back then...especially members like Canada11 and asivadanac... IDK if they're still active...
Anyways long story short, Indian Nurse, landed 3 years ago, passed OSCE with no gaps, Passed NCLEX, got licence last year, now an RN in a leading hospital. The journey was rough but everything is fine now. Canada is treating me well. Just dropped in to say thanks and good luck to everyone. :):):)
hi ..congratulations..kindly share your timeline from submission of application..how u prepared for OSCE

gilljas7

Jun 26, 2019
Hello everyone,
Any idea how long does it takes after NNAS says "ready for FINAL review"?? and also what can i expect on my RPN advisory report?? i applied for RN before and cno determined 31 competency gaps on my report mostly clinical...
Appreciate any replies.
Thankyou.

gilljas7

Jun 26, 2019
York has one as well. Wait lists are years long. Just be prepared that she may not be able to get in right away. Some have found that it is faster to just take the BScN all over again. Just consider all of your options.
So she got her response from the CNO regarding which classes she is required to take to fulfill the practice hours requirement. Basically she will have to do a bridge program. We are going to McMaster University this coming Friday as that is the only one we have found online. We also found one from Mohawk college but I didn't have too much info on it. Does anyone have options for bridging programs near the Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area? Can some classes be accomplished online except the actual clinical class?
george brown offers online bridging program , its called academic pathway for IEN's , easy to get in. There are post basic programms buts u have to have pre-req in order to be eligible for it...hopefully it helps.

Reactions: Fpm800

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Work experience was in USA. At that point, I couldn't work because of the visa expired so I went back home to Korea, and I do not have any nursing license back home, so haven't worked until now.
Get a new work visa in the USA and work there as a nurse. Otherwise your safe practice will expire and you'll have little chance of getting a license.

suziemo

May 22, 2019
Hi there,
I've just had an email from CARNA advising me to fill out a ARNAP referral form to undertake it.
Just wondering if anyone has done it or has any information on it.
I'm also a nurse from Northern Ireland so I'd have to set time to flight out and has anyone else had to organise all these things.

Thanks!

Trishabenn

May 29, 2019
Please Is anyone else having problem submitting employment information? When I click on submit, it doesn't save my details.

nurserowan

Jul 16, 2019
Hi all, Just thought i would share some random info: I spoke with lady tonight who is living in Alberta, she did her 3 year nursing degree in New Zealand- (no maternity, same as Australia) NNAS gave her somewhat comparable for most and some not comparable, CARNA gave her a comparable and she is eligible to sit the NCLEX without any bridging courses.
NZ nurse here too. Does that mean that the nursing college can override NNAS's report and allow you to sit the NCLEX anyway?