+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split

Nov 13, 2022
Not sure if doing it while ur citizenship is under process was a wise decision. Technically the name on the passport that u submitted with citizenship application and the current passport is different.. reach out to IRCC about how to tackle this..
w.r.t the letter, I did it over 5 years ago.. I am sure I won't be able to find it.
I checked it on IRCC website. You can update it even when citizenship application in process. They are asking for 3 things
1. new passport with corrected name
2. Linking documents( new and old passport)
Only option I am confused about 3rd requirement which is
  • provincial documentation in the new name to establish identity, as part of the application instruction guide to establish the person’s identity, not only the name.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
I checked it on IRCC website. You can update it even when citizenship application in process. They are asking for 3 things
1. new passport with corrected name
2. Linking documents( new and old passport)
Only option I am confused about 3rd requirement which is
  • provincial documentation in the new name to establish identity, as part of the application instruction guide to establish the person’s identity, not only the name.
Ok.. but in this case there is no provincial document since there is no legal name change... Your province won't issue anything. Just send a plain simple letter explaing the "ERROR" you had on ur old pp... and now u have rectified it. Don't have to give justification for the delay.

Old PP - Name
New PP - Name
List Aliases used in the past
(No first name) - Full name in last name
Full name in first name - (No last name)
First name - Last name

The copies you attach, use a highlighter and mark the name, PP no. and last page of new pp that captures old PP no.

Nov 13, 2022
Ok.. but in this case there is no provincial document since there is no legal name change... Your province won't issue anything. Just send a plain simple letter explaing the "ERROR" you had on ur old pp... and now u have rectified it. Don't have to give justification for the delay.

Old PP - Name
New PP - Name
List Aliases used in the past
(No first name) - Full name in last name
Full name in first name - (No last name)
First name - Last name

The copies you attach, use a highlighter and mark the name, PP no. and last page of new pp that captures old PP no.
Ok
Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: manu.yoganand

bhvuan

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
So as per some, we can split the name without it being a 'legal name change'? I wish I did that while I had my PR.

I recently got canadian citizenship, now wondering the best way to get the name rectified.
Is it possible to do without it being a full process of 'legal name change'. I'm yet to apply for Canadian passport, hoping to get my name resolved before applying for passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So as per some, we can split the name without it being a 'legal name change'? I wish I did that while I had my PR.

I recently got canadian citizenship, now wondering the best way to get the name rectified.
Is it possible to do without it being a full process of 'legal name change'. I'm yet to apply for Canadian passport, hoping to get my name resolved before applying for passport.
The légal name change takes a few months, some simple forms and a modest enough fee. What's so challenging about the "full process"?

Just do it and be done with it.