+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split

Apr 1, 2018
Actually in my case at the time of landing officer did manual corrections on COPR (and on system probably too) , and my PR was issued with right first name and last name.But my DL and health card has name XX XX YYY(as its issued before PR as i was on WP) .... now my question is when i have to submit two identification documents then whether names in all those should match or PR Cad with XX YYY and DL ,Health Card with XX XX YYY will work??
Ok That's good if they correct PR when you land in Canada again during your return!!!

And am not sure which exact Identification docs are you talking about and while applying for which docs' name change you hvae to submit 2 identification documents?

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Got Medical Instructions on 08-Jul after mail to CPP
Med's Done....
10-Jul-2014 (Uploaded 15-Jul-2014)
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
Ok That's good if they correct PR when you land in Canada again during your return!!!

And am not sure which exact Identification docs are you talking about and while applying for which docs' name change you hvae to submit 2 identification documents?
We have to submit photo identification proof , for that PR card wil work? but then PR card and Passport names not match ... not sure if that will be issue...also on some threads i read we need to submit two identification documents but i dont see that in checklist ... it just says photocopy of personal identification.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
We have to submit photo identification proof , for that PR card wil work? but then PR card and Passport names not match ... not sure if that will be issue...also on some threads i read we need to submit two identification documents but i dont see that in checklist ... it just says photocopy of personal identification.
The PR card does not count as ID. It is a status document, not an identity document.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html explains what you need to provide, in the section titled "Gather your documents".

(Depending on your situation you may have more documents to provide than are listed in that section. Other parts of the guide explains in which situations you should do so.)

You always need to provide 2 pieces of ID. It's just that if you had a passport in the last five years that counts as one of your pieces, so you only need to provide one other. If you did not have a passport you need to provide two pieces of ID.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
The PR card does not count as ID. It is a status document, not an identity document.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html explains what you need to provide, in the section titled "Gather your documents".

(Depending on your situation you may have more documents to provide than are listed in that section. Other parts of the guide explains in which situations you should do so.)

You always need to provide 2 pieces of ID. It's just that if you had a passport in the last five years that counts as one of your pieces, so you only need to provide one other. If you did not have a passport you need to provide two pieces of ID.
Thank for answering , yes i see following on the link u send.

If you are residing in Canada, supplementary photo identification can include the following documents issued by a Canadian province or territory:

• a driver's license;
  • a health card;
  • an age of majority card;
  • a social services card;
  • a senior citizen identification card.
But do you think they will accept my DL and health card with name as Sandeep Sandeep Singh and in my passport surname is blank .... do you think it will be fine ... i think its just photo id proof .... so i assume they will understand this name discrepancy.

What do you think?

Regards,
Sandeep

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thank for answering , yes i see following on the link u send.

If you are residing in Canada, supplementary photo identification can include the following documents issued by a Canadian province or territory:

• a driver's license;
  • a health card;
  • an age of majority card;
  • a social services card;
  • a senior citizen identification card.
But do you think they will accept my DL and health card with name as Sandeep Sandeep Singh and in my passport surname is blank .... do you think it will be fine ... i think its just photo id proof .... so i assume they will understand this name discrepancy.

What do you think?

Regards,
Sandeep
I don't quite understand your situation. I don't know which document has which name(s) on it.

That said, if your passport has your name in the given name field and the surname field is blank, and on your PR card that is reversed (i.e. the surname field contains your name and the given name field is blank) then that is as IRCC expects it. It is IRCC policy to record single names in the surname field.

If your driver's licence and health card have your name split between the two fields and your passport does not, then I don't know what IRCC will do. I had a quick look at some of their information (name records and name priority and name change and name structures) and I didn't see something that makes it clear how they deal with this (note that I only skimmed that information, so I may have missed something that applies to your situation). IRCC seems to assume that either there is an administrative error or that there has been a formal name change.

The standard rule is that a citizenship certificate would have the name as it is on the COPR/PR Card (your most recent immigration document), but that does not explain what happens when there is a mismatch between primary and supplementary identification.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
Passport : Surname blank Given Name : Sandeep Singh
DL : Sandeep Sandeep Singh
Health card :Sandeep Sandeep Singh
PR Card : Surname : Singh Given Name: Sandeep

Apr 1, 2018
Hi,
You have an option to select what address you want on the passport. You ll have to submit a proof for the same. Just apply for a Re-issue of passport.. Fill the desired name on the online form. Along with the application form that you fill online, draft a letter explaining the problem.
Hi Manu,
Here I am again like pest - bear with me man!

I have begun to fill the Passport Re-issue form :

i. Names:
In the Online Application, it only has a section for " Surname and Given Names as per passport" and "Previous Names" section. So, where is the provision to fill the "new name"? Should I mention my new split name in the draft letter that you mentioned.

ii. Annexure:
Also in Checklist they mention that an Annexure is required? Can you recollect and confirm , is it Annexure - E - "Standard Affidavit"?

iii. Other Address (Indian Address as per Checklist):
They have a section for Present Adress which I have filled up with Canadian Address and I am in a position to provide Address proof for the same however there is no Indian address I can provide as mine and neither ca I produce Address proof. So, can I just skip thie "Other Address" section - by providing NA. Could you recollect what had you provided in this case?

iv. Spousal Name:
When I got my previous Passport, I was SINGLE but now in the Application I have to provide my updated marital status and spousal details, implying indirectly for the update of Spousal information too. In checklist they have mentioned Marriage certificate and Notarized affidavit from Canadian Lawyer. Was your case any similar, and if not, do you know of the right procedure.

Snippet from Checklist mentioning the same:
Marital Status - Addition or Deletion of Name of Spouse:
If married in India:
- Marriage Certificate: Attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered, and by MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi.
- Joint Notarised Affidavit from a lawyer in Canada.

Thanking you!
Guru

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Passport : Surname blank Given Name : Sandeep Singh
DL : Sandeep Sandeep Singh
Health card :Sandeep Sandeep Singh
PR Card : Surname : Singh Given Name: Sandeep
I don't know what's your best course of action.

I guess you could get in touch with your province, to see if they can correct your DL and health card (as those don't match your passport or your PR card). That way you'd have at least the PR card and DL that match, with the passport the odd one out (and all documents would then contain the same name, even if they're split differently).

(What's the name on your SIN letter/card and thus also on your taxes? Would that need updating/fixing as well?)

According to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split.528444/#post-6608510 you could get an updated passport via BLS. That way all your documents would match, which seems to best way to ensure your application would not run into name-related difficulties?

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
I don't know what's your best course of action.

I guess you could get in touch with your province, to see if they can correct your DL and health card (as those don't match your passport or your PR card). That way you'd have at least the PR card and DL that match, with the passport the odd one out (and all documents would then contain the same name, even if they're split differently).

(What's the name on your SIN letter/card and thus also on your taxes? Would that need updating/fixing as well?)

According to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split.528444/#post-6608510 you could get an updated passport via BLS. That way all your documents would match, which seems to best way to ensure your application would not run into name-related difficulties?
SIN Card is same as PR card , i will check with Service Ontario to see if they can change DL and Health card based on PR card.

Thanks a lot for replying to my question.

Gurveer042

Apr 9, 2018
Hi,
I had the same problem. My passport had only given name, because of which my COPR and PR card had captured everything under last name.

I have got everything rectified now, without getting any affidavit or legal name change procedure or name change request through any provincial offices.

1 - Submit a letter to BLS (along with passport application form to get a new passport with first name and last name) explaining the error and why you could not get it rectified earlier. (In my case the PR application was under process). - Got my new passport in 20 days

2 - Once you receive the updated passport - Submit similar letter to CIC explaining the error, along with other documents - Application form (Do not tick legal name change as you are not legally changing your name) + Cancelled page of old passport showing the new passport number and copy of the new passport showing old passport number, ensure you mention this also in the letter) + copy of the letter you submitted to BLS + any other documents. - Got my New PR card in 72 Days, Please note COPR will not change, only PR card will issued with a new name.

3 - Got my SIN, Driver Licence and Health Card updated.

Its an easy process if your letter is crisp and explains things clearly. Let me know if you have any doubts.

- Manu
Hi!
Can you give details of the application sent to cic for name change on PR Card. How to send the application and what to write exactly on the letter. It would be really helpful. Thanks.

Gurveer042

Apr 9, 2018
Hi,
I had the same problem. My passport had only given name, because of which my COPR and PR card had captured everything under last name.

I have got everything rectified now, without getting any affidavit or legal name change procedure or name change request through any provincial offices.

1 - Submit a letter to BLS (along with passport application form to get a new passport with first name and last name) explaining the error and why you could not get it rectified earlier. (In my case the PR application was under process). - Got my new passport in 20 days

2 - Once you receive the updated passport - Submit similar letter to CIC explaining the error, along with other documents - Application form (Do not tick legal name change as you are not legally changing your name) + Cancelled page of old passport showing the new passport number and copy of the new passport showing old passport number, ensure you mention this also in the letter) + copy of the letter you submitted to BLS + any other documents. - Got my New PR card in 72 Days, Please note COPR will not change, only PR card will issued with a new name.

Its an easy process if your letter is crisp and explains things clearly. Let me know if you have any doubts.

- Manu
Did you pay any fees to CIC for this. In the guide it says that 50$ fees should be paid. And also please explain how not to tick the legal name change option. Did not understood this. Thank you.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
I am getting my DL and Health card fixed so it matches PR card ,so PR card ,COPR ,DL and health card will match only passport willl have surname blank so i hope that should be fine ... what do you think?
Actually reason for not fixing passport is that i got US visa on that with first name as FNU and I will need to fix i129 and all those too ..

Nav48

May 21, 2018
Hi,

- Manu
Hi Manu,
I am facing the same issues as you did in the past. I have already renewed my passport with split name. Now, I am following your point no 2 mentioned in the above post. I also have to update my PR card and other id's with split name.
Can you please explain which application form did you fill? (the one you mentioned with "Do not tick legal name change").
In short, can you explain, what all documents, did you send to get the name changed on PR card without making legal document? Is it possible to get some details over the phone?

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Hi,
You need to complete the PR application form.(on the form, do not tick the legal name change as you are not legally changing your name)
Along with the form, you will have to -
- Submit a similar letter to CIC explaining the error
- Cancelled page of old passport showing the new passport number and copy of the new passport showing old passport number, ensure you mention this in the letter too
- copy of the letter you submitted to BLS + any other documents.

Nav48

May 21, 2018
Hi,
You need to complete the PR application form.(on the form, do not tick the legal name change as you are not legally changing your name)
Along with the form, you will have to -
- Submit a similar letter to CIC explaining the error
- Cancelled page of old passport showing the new passport number and copy of the new passport showing old passport number, ensure you mention this in the letter too
- copy of the letter you submitted to BLS + any other documents.
Hi Manu,
Thank you for your time and replying me back. I just want to ask you few things more as listed below.
1) Is it form# IMM 5444 E, when you say complete the PR application form.
2)If yes, then , which option r u talking about when u say "do not tick the legal name change as you are not legally changing your name". can you please specify the option number for me, if this is the right form.
3) can you specify which other documents do i need?
4) Do u have to wait for amended PR card in order to get name rectified on SIN, Health Card or any other provincial Id?

Once again, I thank you for your time and information u provided to me.